Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2016/2017 because its never too early

Ginx snewx

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I just think they aren't looking specifically at every small city snow average. They are trying to say somewhat AN snowfall in those areas. I agree with what you are saying...it's just how they communicate it. 

Yeah, I'd rather them just put above and below.  You don't have to know much about every small city but to know if a general area averages 80"+ then higher than like 125-133% of normal will be a top tier winter.

I bet if you really went through that whole area of 133%+ the majority of them would be near top 10 winters, lol.  

I wouldn't expect anyone to give thought to all the minor variations, but figured someone with 10 minutes and a cell phone could quickly do research on a few places to see if 133%< even makes sense with their thinking.

Then again, I'm not sure putting 110% of normal would get the point across even if it might be a more realistic forecast. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Actually digging into it, WeatherBell is forecasting a Top 10 snow winter of all-time at BTV.  SYR would be #8 all time.

109" (133% of normal) would rank #9 in the last 130 years in Burlington.

Interesting, and good luck.  I wonder if they realize what they are forecasting for cities and mountains in that bubble.

133% (119.3") would rank 16th (of 124) in Farmington.

This has been the worst fall season build up that I can recall on the boards in my 10 years. Relative dearth of posts and just a general lack of interest.

Silence has never been so loud. Could be election hangover too but winter weather looks bleak at least in the short term. Need some solid signs of things changing soon.

3 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Silence has never been so loud. Could be election hangover too but winter weather looks bleak at least in the short term. Need some solid signs of things changing soon.

3 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Even before guidance went south, but obviously now.

3 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This has been the worst fall season build up that I can recall on the boards in my 10 years. Relative dearth of posts and just a general lack of interest.

This is definitely true. I think some has to do with the election and the rest the overall boring weather

11 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

When things look bleak and we are likely faced with back to back ratters..I don't think too many folks want to talk or even think about it . I know I don't.

I just think people are also realizing that you can only post and talk about it so much with the same data over the last several weeks. We've had crap winters start out with way more talk. Not saying it's a crap winter, I just mean people have gotten wiser and realize it's not worth talking much until things change. 

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Who changes tires anymore lol..tires are all weather.This isn't 1985

You're ridiculous.  Maybe you don't need them if you live in a climate-sanitized place that has the plows out 24  hours before the snow begins.  All seasons suffice for that.   Life and winter is different in GC.  Give me the studded snows any day.

15 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

You're ridiculous.  Maybe you don't need them if you live in a climate-sanitized place that has the plows out 24  hours before the snow begins.  All seasons suffice for that.   Life and winter is different in GC.  Give me the studded snows any day.

Good point actually. It snows less there than other places in SNE

26 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Meh.  I've driven every corner of VT, in all types of weather as part of my job.  Winters are nice but decent all seasons will be ok if who know how to drive in winter weather.

13 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Meh.  I've driven every corner of VT, in all types of weather as part of my job.  Winters are nice but decent all seasons will be ok if who know how to drive in winter weather.

I honestly didn't think anyone did that anymore. I mean seriously..that's 1980's type stuff. Not to mention how bad the gas mileage must be driving form there to Boston everyday on studs lol

26 minutes ago, mreaves said:

It's not about going, it's about stopping. All seasons are dangerous in many braking situations in the snow.

I would say 30% of the cars around here run on snow tires ALL YEAR(snows, not studs), people just dont change them. During winter it's probably 60-70%.  But there are a good amount of people that live in the mountain towns between 1200ft-2500ft. It's a pretty curvy  steep vertical  drop down into Manchester(where most people work and schools are) from those areas up in the Greens. Most side /driveways/ neighborhood roads outside of the main ones are gravel and remain snow packed pretty much all season.

Even in AWD vehicles the difference between snow tires and all seasons is pretty remarkable. The stopping power is not even close.

It's not about going, it's about stopping. All seasons are dangerous in many braking situations in the snow.

Agreed. I never used winter tires until few years ago. Big difference. My Audi is quite the tank with them. We also have 10% grades around my area so they are very useful in those instances when snow and ice are on the roads

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Does MPM drive an 83 Monte Carlo?

Lol.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I honestly didn't think anyone did that anymore. I mean seriously..that's 1980's type stuff. Not to mention how bad the gas mileage must be driving form there to Boston everyday on studs lol

Mileage smileage.   I'll take safety.   To be sure, outside of western/central mass and Litchfield County, most in sne are probably okay without snows.  

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I love when you hear the car coming from 2 miles away. 

That part does stink.  When you hear it, it's a cruel reminder that there's no snow.

Yeah I don't really need to navigate large hills and simply being responsible and going slow goes a long way. But, a good set of tires means everything. I don't mean snow tires either. It's amazing what good treads can do. I change tires before I really need to just for that. Same with rain, much less chance of hydroplaning. 

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Plenty of steep massive hills in NE CT including my neighborhood. We man up and put it in 4WD and no studs . It works 

I'm not sure if you "man" up to anything.  You go and put on an air conditioner if it gets over 70* for Christ's sake.  :)

I'd be more confident in my ability to navigate in snow with FWD with snows than I would with AWD in all-season.  Similar to Lavarock, I didn't go to snows until a few years ago (I guess once we moved here 9 years ago).  To paraphrase Quint from Jaws:  "I'll never use all-seasons in snow again".  The storm we had a few weeks was a good reminder as to how important they are.

2 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

I'm not sure if you "man" up to anything.  You go and put on an air conditioner if it gets over 70* for Christ's sake.  :)

I'd be more confident in my ability to navigate in snow with FWD with snows than I would with AWD in all-season.  Similar to Lavarock, I didn't go to snows until a few years ago (I guess once we moved here 9 years ago).  To paraphrase Quint from Jaws:  "I'll never use all-seasons in snow again".  The storm we had a few weeks was a good reminder as to how important they are.

I totally agree with you on the snow tires.  I swear by them. they make bigger difference than awd.  but I have heard and read that these new "all weather" tires, as opposed to "all season" tires, perform really well in the snow.  I dont know anyone with personal experience with them though. 

Archived