• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Spring into Summer!

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our region has some of the best summers anywhere in the country. 80-85 and sunny non-stop from June-August, just loving this summer so far. Have been outside doing stuff whenever I'm not at work. Hope everyone has a great July 4th weekend!

Remember this when you're shopping for produce and dont like the fact that the prices seem to be higher than you recall..The whole great hot sunny summer with no rain has crops in these parts are really stressing...

Remember this when you're shopping for produce and dont like the fact that the prices seem to be higher than you recall..The whole great hot sunny summer with no rain has crops in these parts are really stressing...

It's been brutal for agriculture in WNY. Small farms are just getting by with extensive irrigation, which drives up prices. Grape yields decline with drought, and while flavor improves, our local industry relies on volume more than anything else. Stone fruit has a productivity crop yield lag of a year, so orchards on the NF may not feel the worst of this summer until 2017. Apple production also sees a hit in the year following a drought, and corking can be an issue in a dry season.

I'm ready for rain.

Trumansburg, N.Y. -- Mayor Marty Petrovic hasn't mowed his lawn for weeks. Corn is drying up in the fields around this village, tucked between Seneca and Cayuga lakes, and plants that show signs of stress every decade or so are showing it now.

"It's really dry," Petrovic said.

He's right. Trumansburg is the driest spot in Upstate New York, according to data from the NOAA Regional Climate Centers. From June 1 through July 10, Trumansburg, in Tompkins County, has had less than a half an inch of rain. To be precise: 0.43 inches.

Many parts of the Finger Lakes and Western New York have seen an inch or less of rain in the past six weeks. Areas in the Adirondacks and Catskills, by contrast, have been soaked with up to 8 inches from June 1 through last weekend.

The reason: There's been little in the way of long, soaking rainfalls. Instead, Upstate New York has been bombarded by lines of thunderstorms, which drench some areas and bypass others.

Those storms have bypassed Trumansburg, Petrovic said.

"You can see them 10 miles to the north and 10 miles to the south, but they just miss us," he said. "It would be nice to get a nice steady rain, but we''ll take anything now."

Some areas of the Finger Lakes are close to record-low rainfall, said Samantha Borisoff, a climatologist with the Northeast Regional Climate Center at Cornell University. The Cornell weather station is in its third-driest early summer stretch on record, Borisoff said.

Typical rainfall amounts Upstate are about 3 to 4 inches a month in summer.
A quick thunderstorm can reverse fortunes. Syracuse was one of the driest spots in the state until a thunderstorm dropped nearly an inch in an hour last Friday. The rain fell so fast the National Weather Service issued a flash flood warning.

That same day, Buffalo got just 0.03 inches.

The rainiest Upstate location since June 1 is Walton, in Delaware County, with 8.33 inches. More than half of that fell on one day.

As of late last week, more than 90 percent of New York state was considered abnormally dry or in a moderate drought. Things could get worse this week, as the hottest temperatures of the year help dry things out.

Sections of Cayuga County have an an inch or so. That's worrying farmers, said Skip Jensen, Cayuga County Farm Bureau field adviser. "A lot of row crops like soybean and corn and really stressed and really need some water," Jensen said. "I don't think at this point all is lost, but we do need some substantial rain this week or very soon." Here's a selected list of the driest spots in Upstate New York. Some of these sites are monitored by individuals who might not be able to measure every day, so we allowed up to five missing values. If we had limited that to just one missing value, the driest place would have shifted to the west: Hemlock, at the top of Hemlock Lake in Livingston County, had 0.70 inches.

Upstate NY rainfall, June 1 to July 10

Trumansburg 0.43
Penn Yan 0.64
Hemlock 0.70
Aurora 0.79
Geneva 0.92
Batavia 1
Freeville 1.15
Canandaigua 1.16
Niagara Falls 1.18
Watkins Glen 1.31
Buffalo 1.4
Ithaca 1.42
Auburn 1.52
Cornell University 1.54
Rochester 1.73
Lockport 1.97
Buffalo Area 2.06
Dunkirk/Chautauqua 2.22
Syracuse 2.92
Binghamton 3.33
Watertown 3.92
Plattsburgh 4.69
Fulton/Oswego 4.7
Saranac Lake 4.96
Albany 5.17
Lake Placid 5.5
Saratoga Springs 5.5
Tupper Lake 7.77
Cooperstown 8.23
Walton 8.33

20728593-mmmain.jpg

7 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Warm lake temps in Erie don't matter to much in summer, really only matters in Oct/Nov timeframes since the fluctuations on a shallow lake are so severe. When you coming back?

Just put the house on the market today. Hopefully it sells fast. The day we close on it well be back. I'm hoping before Halloween. 

12 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Warm lake temps in Erie don't matter to much in summer, really only matters in Oct/Nov timeframes since the fluctuations on a shallow lake are so severe. 

Yeah, Erie heats and cools so fast that a few degrees one way or another in July and August mean nothing for snowfall. Last September was really warm (lake temp 5F above normal through mid month), but it did nothing for LES, and it wasn't just the unfavorable ENSO - by early October the lake was just about exactly at long term average temp.

The real benefit from a warm lake would come right now and in the coming month - to deaden this lake shadow which is contributing to the brutal drought in parts of western NY. A warm lake lessens the lake breeze dynamics. 

Drought update: US Drought Monitor now has the entire lee of Lake Erie and a good big of the central Finger Lakes in D2 (severe drought). 

If you still need every weekend to be warm and sunny at this point, you need to buy a place in Arizona (although at least they get a monsoon this time of year). 

I'm hoping the lake getting into the mid or maybe upper 70s (today is 75F, which is 5F above norm and 2F above the 30 year average yearly max of 73F) will get us into lake effect rain season earlier, but we've had a bad synoptic pattern. In any case, time for this drought to end - it's dismaying to see every mesoscale system collapse just as it reaches Buffalo (including last night's).

20160712_northeast_none.png

It's a really interesting pattern.

It has been monsoonal here in Otsego County.  Seems most days the storms fire a county or two to our west and move through giving us a solid drenching, while just going west past Chenango/Madison you enter desert like conditions.

14 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

Well looks like I'll be back to WNY sooner than I thought. Already have multiple full price offers on my house just 2 days after putting it on the market. May be back before fall even officially starts 

Yeah I figured it wouldn't take long the real estate market is crazy here as well. Went to look at a house in the upper 120s in the village of hamburg and it sold for upper 150s in a matter of 3 days from posting to sale date. We got accepted on a house for 142k pretty close to my current location but had inspector check it out and had some foundation problems. Haven't been able to find one since and we've been looking since late last year.

15 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Forgot to add the taxes around this area... $3-7k a year I'm seeing in our price range. What are the taxes like in other areas of WNY. It's insane!

Absolutely gorgeous day out today. 84 and sunny, going to go to Canalside to have dinner on the water.

Yeah taxes are nuts. I was looking to buy in the Village of Hamburg. That would be my absolute most ideal place however your paying an extra couple grand a year in taxes just to live in the village. 

My first tax bill since we bought our house in the city came last week. I was shocked... by how low it was. Granted, we don't get the schools or services of the suburbs, but there are some good schools (I'll let you know when we we have kids, but our neighbor's kids go to Frederick Law Olmstead PS 64 which is apparently awesome) and the services are just fine as far as I'm concerned.

If only we could do something about the fact that we don't get much LES, moving would never cross my mind.

Funny thing about net taxes... I compared my total taxes paid in NYS in 2015 to my net taxes paid in Tennessee in 2011 (last full year of residence there), and even though I'm making a bit more money here, I'm barely paying more in taxes. The 9.25% sales tax on all purchases (including groceries) eats up a ton of money, and they nickel and dime the heck out of you on fees. It may be a low-tax state for the rich, but I'm not rich, and the lower cost of living and easy commutes (two tanks of gas per week to get to work there) makes up for the slightly higher taxes by a long shot.

17 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

Yeah taxes are nuts. I was looking to buy in the Village of Hamburg. That would be my absolute most ideal place however your paying an extra couple grand a year in taxes just to live in the village. 

The Village has 3 taxes compared to 2 if you live just outside it. The Village is amazing due to have shops, restaurants, stores, etc... all within walking distance and a nice village to walk around in. Lots of parks as well. But the extra tax is just to much when you can live just outside and get similar benefits. A $150k house in the village (which is on the cheap side for Hamburg) has 5k+ taxes at least. It's brutal.

12 hours ago, WNash said:

My first tax bill since we bought our house in the city came last week. I was shocked... by how low it was. Granted, we don't get the schools or services of the suburbs, but there are some good schools (I'll let you know when we we have kids, but our neighbor's kids go to Frederick Law Olmstead PS 64 which is apparently awesome) and the services are just fine as far as I'm concerned.

If only we could do something about the fact that we don't get much LES, moving would never cross my mind.

My dad lives in Amherst and the taxes there are similar to Hamburg. Hamburg, OP, Amherst, Clarence have the highest, but also are some of the best places to live in the area. Hamburg has 2 school districts, Frontier has 6/7 out of 10 ratings and Hamburg high school has 9/10 so we're trying to stay in that district which is closer to village. Hamburg was voted the best town to live in WNY last year so the housing market is absolutely insane right now. Really hoping were able to find something before winter starts, wouldn't like moving in the cold/snow. I really do love living here though, I'm 1 mile to the I90 thruway, 12 minutes down route 5 to downtown Buffalo, 2 mins away from superwalmart/gym/restaurants. You can get anywhere from here in 15-20 minutes.

12 hours ago, WNash said:

Funny thing about net taxes... I compared my total taxes paid in NYS in 2015 to my net taxes paid in Tennessee in 2011 (last full year of residence there), and even though I'm making a bit more money here, I'm barely paying more in taxes. The 9.25% sales tax on all purchases (including groceries) eats up a ton of money, and they nickel and dime the heck out of you on fees. It may be a low-tax state for the rich, but I'm not rich, and the lower cost of living and easy commutes (two tanks of gas per week to get to work there) makes up for the slightly higher taxes by a long shot.

Definitely agree with this. The commutes here are just so easy compared to most other cities. My uncle in Fort Lauderdale drives 3-4 hours total to and from work that is only 10 miles away. Forget that...

Archived