• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Spring into Summer!

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

It's real alright....really stupid.  I mean I love Buffalo and four seasons, but they are out of their minds.  I can think of hundreds or cities that have better weather.  

81F with a dew of 42F currently, you can't get anymore perfect weather than that!

actdew_600x405.jpg

9 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

It's real alright....really stupid.  I mean I love Buffalo and four seasons, but they are out of their minds.  I can think of hundreds or cities that have better weather.  

Yeah exactly. I mean my buddy lives in San Diego and its 80 and sunny everyday all year. I would be bored there though. ^_^

The heat has been pretty incredible this year. Lake Erie has to be close to record highs right about now. Looks like a pattern change is in the offing though.

From Tom Niziol:

Based on the article I wrote on the status of the Lake Erie Algal Bloom this year (my previous post) Rhonda had a great comment..."Is Lake Erie really that warm??"

Well it depends where you are. I have included an image from NOAA's Great Lakes Forecast System of Lake Erie. It' sort of like an MRI of the lake and it shows the vertical profile of temperature for several cross sections. Notice just how HOT the western cross section/Basin is (A). All I see are 80f+ temps !! Now farther up the lake on the north shore the temperatures are quite a bit cooler. That is likely due to the upwelling of somewhat cooler water from the depths due to an offshore flow there, which tends to move the warmer surface water away from shore.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13770448_989254344521256_3367646502871895908_n.jpg?oh=a07616a07632e64c04c09d7d9f8c0ec6&oe=5825754B

Pretty cool facebook post from Tom Niziol about the "lake effect shadow" and what leads to Buffalo having some of the best summers around.

Geek Out Time...the lesson today..."Lake-Effect" weather occurs at ALL times of the year, just different flavors :)

Nice example from yesterday of the "effect" the lakes have on local breezes, temperatures and even cloud cover at this time of the year.

Under weak prevailing winds, the difference in the temperature of the cooler lakes and the adjacent warmer land sets up pressure differences that create local breezes that blow from lake to land.

These cooler "lake breezes" suppress cloud development because the cooler air is less buoyant. Therefore, its clear over the lakes and along adjacent shorelines but inland we see the telltale signs of cumulus cloud development as the day progresses.

This is the reason that places like Buffalo, NY see significantly more sunshine at this time of the year. They pay for it though in the fall when the land-lake temperature differences reverse and the result is much more cloud cover over and just downwind of the prevailing wind.

Yes, this occurs across ALL of the Great Lakes, being from Buffalo I chose to look at the eastern lakes today :)

Tom Niziol's photo.
Tom Niziol's photo.

11 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Picked up more rain this morning then the past month combined, 0.66" in the gauge as of 9 am..

Yeah we had a decent amount of Tstorms between 1-3 AM last night, enough to keep me awake the majority of the night.

11 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Kfzy has thirteen 90° days this year and about another dozen just under 90°, but they seem to run several degrees warmer than most wunderground stations, myself included..<_<

That's crazy, what is the record for that location? It's so hard for KBUF to hit 90 on regular basis, even in the warmest summers. ROC/Syracuse hit it quite often. I believe Dansville is the hottest location in NYS. They have hit over 100 many times.

16 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah we had a decent amount of Tstorms between 1-3 AM last night, enough to keep me awake the majority of the night.

That's crazy, what is the record for that location? It's so hard for KBUF to hit 90 on regular basis, even in the warmest summers. ROC/Syracuse hit it quite often. I believe Dansville is the hottest location in NYS. They have hit over 100 many times.

I think KROC will be up to 19 90 degree days after today.  The most ever for us.  It's been a real steamer so far.

3 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

I think KROC will be up to 19 90 degree days after today.  The most ever for us.  It's been a real steamer so far.

That is crazy. Buffalo has maxed out at 89 4/5 times I believe this year and only has 5? 90+ days? 

Also today is perfect example of lake shadow in full effect. Tstorms everywhere but here. 

Here is an excellent example of summertime lake-effect or as some might refer to it "anti" lake-effect. That is because at this time of the year daytime air temperatures get much warmer than the adjacent water temperatures of the lakes. In conditionally unstable airmasses, the cooler lakes will suppress cloud growth as well as convection/thunderstorms. In fact, there is some truth to the comment that the lakes may actually protect areas downwind from severe weather in the summer.

In the images below you see a satellite image, which shows cloud free lakes. The important image is the next one, those are radar echoes surrounding Lake Erie and the red blobs are thunderstorms, which are almost all completely over land. Notice the air temperatures are close to 90F in many areas while Lake Erie's water temperatures are in the upper 70s to low 80s.

Note however that not all thunderstorms miss the lakes or weaken as they cross the lakes. If the thunderstorm development is not "surface-based" but is forced from other features like upper level jets etc. then the action can move right across the cooler bodies of water and hammer downwind locations. BTW, at this time of the year, as we get to sunset, land temperatures cool down and the lakes do not have as much impact on dampening storms, so you will see more activity develop over the lakes going into the night time hours. As we head into August, the overnight air temperatures get cooler than lake temps and we actually can get thunderstorms that develop over the lakes, called nocturnal storms. That is the beginning of the lake-effect season we are more familiar with. It is AMAZING out there, enjoy !!

13923879_1000754686704555_56620001807918

13912323_1000754683371222_6281155951230913679867_1000754676704556_43965865186415

Archived