• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Spring into Summer!

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty awesome news from Buffalo NWS. Faster radar updates.

New for this year, we'll be able to get even faster updates from the radar! We used to get base level radar images every 4 to 5 minutes during active weather. Software updates last year brought that number down to around 2 minutes. Starting this year, we'll be able to get updates as frequently as every 1 to 1.5 minutes!

We tested this out yesterday with a few storms in the area, and this video shows the difference between about 70 second updates on the left and what the same storm would have looked like with 4 to 5 minute updates on the right.

The benefit to these faster updates will allow us to better track fast evolving storms, changes in storm intensity, quick spin-up tornadoes, and microbursts.

https://www.facebook.com/NWSBuffalo/videos/1257839344245751/

Don't see any Spring until at least last week of this month. Also for may will be quite stormy, especially the last 10 days... days to watch circa 22-23 May and again around the 30th, which could be very (convectively) stormy for the NEUS.

I would love to get some nice thunderstorms. It was 80-90 and sunny everyday down in southern Florida. Aside from Weds in which we had 8 hours of constant thunderstorms with a Severe tstorm warning embedded. Can't wait to get some storms here.

I would love to get some nice thunderstorms. It was 80-90 and sunny everyday down in southern Florida. Aside from Weds in which we had 8 hours of constant thunderstorms with a Severe tstorm warning embedded. Can't wait to get some storms here.

Be careful what you wish for! LOL 

Be careful what you wish for! LOL 

Our worst thunderstorm around here is weak compared to pretty much anywhere else in this country.  Bring it on, the stronger the better.

But first, it looks like some elevation dependent snow for some this weekend.  Would be one of the latest snowfalls in this area that I have ever experienced (aside from the 3 foot memorial day storm that whiteface got 3 years ago, but that was extremely localized).

This is the year without spring for sure, very depressing. It killed two of my bee hives that survived the winter (which is also why I have been so pissed about this crappy weather)

What an absolute debacle of cosmic proportions incoming this weekend.  Let's see, how can we make a mid-May northwest flow cold mauling with 850 mb temperatures dubbed by BUF as being "in the coldest 99.5 percentile" possibly any worse?  I know, time it so the Canadian archipelago sourced cold air slap arrives at dawn on a Saturday.  And keep it churning through the daylight hours on Sunday. Throw in some lake effect rain, snow, shnizzle, and whatever else decides to spawn from the "relatively warm" eastern GL's, and we're really in business.  One month from the freaking summer solstice.  

Of course, it could always be worse.  We could live in some arctic ice box like Ft. Yukon, Alaska.  Lucky we're not there this weekend, check out this forecast for tomorrow:   

Saturday

Sunny. Highs in the upper 60s to mid 70s. North winds 5 to 15 mph.

I'm not too bothered by the chill. The precip threat in WNY (such as it was) hasn't really resulted in much, and there's now some sunshine. So it's just an indoor May weekend, if it were a warm washout it would have the same practical effect.

The inland freeze chance on the other hand... hope no one jumped the gun on early planting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tornado warning just south of the border.

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 445 PM EDT FORNORTHEASTERN CRAWFORD AND SOUTHEASTERN ERIE COUNTIES...AT 420 PM EDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADOWAS LOCATED NEAR CANADOHTA LAKE...OR 23 MILES NORTHEAST OFMEADVILLE...MOVING EAST AT 45 MPH.HAZARD...TORNADO AND QUARTER SIZE HAIL.SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION.

Archived