• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Severe Weather Threat in the ArkLaTex Monday 4/11/2016

Jim Martin

Maybe worth opening this up to Sunday as well across TX/OK/SE KS? Monday looks like the bigger day, although from a chasing standpoint, that's some pretty ugly terrain across the Ozarks and vicinity. I'll probably be sitting this one out.

Here is my outlook for tomorrow (4/10). A number of the parameters look pretty good for SW Oklahoma and southward into Texas. Based on the 4km NAM, I believe there will be areas of activity in SW OK and possibly central OK, as well as near the front southern KS and SW MO. The shear looks a little weak in NW OK.

kWh5P5Z.jpg

1029 PM CDT SUN APR 10 2016

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1045 PM CDT

FOR CENTRAL TILLMAN COUNTY...

AT 1028 PM CDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED NEAR FREDERICK...

MOVING EAST AT 45 MPH.

THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS STORM.

HAZARD...100 MPH WIND GUSTS AND QUARTER SIZE HAIL.

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED.

IMPACT...YOU ARE IN A LIFE-THREATENING SITUATION. FLYING DEBRIS MAY

BE DEADLY TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES

WILL BE DESTROYED. EXPECT CONSIDERABLE DAMAGE TO HOMES AND

BUSINESSES. EXPECT EXTENSIVE TREE DAMAGE AND POWER OUTAGES.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

FREDERICK AND HOLLISTER.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

FOR YOUR PROTECTION MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A

BUILDING.

THIS IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS SITUATION WITH TORNADO LIKE WIND

SPEEDS EXPECTED. MOBILE HOMES AND HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES ARE

ESPECIALLY SUSCEPTIBLE TO WINDS OF THIS MAGNITUDE AND MAY BE

OVERTURNED. FOR YOUR PROTECTION MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE

LOWEST FLOOR OF A BUILDING. THIS STORM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO CAUSE

SERIOUS INJURY AND SIGNIFICANT PROPERTY DAMAGE.

THIS IS A POTENTIALLY DEADLY STORM. SEEK SHELTER IN AN INTERIOR ROOM

ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A WELL-BUILT STRUCTURE. ABANDON VEHICLES IN

SEARCH OF A MORE SUBSTANTIAL PERMANENT STRUCTURE. STAY AWAY FROM

WINDOWS.

THIS THUNDERSTORM IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING ALL TYPES OF SEVERE

WEATHER INCLUDING EXTREMELY LARGE HAIL...DESTRUCTIVE STRAIGHT LINE

WINDS AND TORNADOES. MOVE QUICKLY TO A SAFE SHELTER...SUCH AS AN

INTERIOR ROOM... A BATHROOM OR CLOSET OR BASEMENT.

This is some very strong wording.

Looks like the chase target today will be in North Texas. Outflow boundary and dry line intersect near the Metroplex. Fortunately for the population the intersection should drift northeast of town before new storms fire. 

Upper level winds are still strong enough but the low-level jet may redevelop just-in-time. If the LLJ is slow to recover the low level shear may be weak and/or veered off. Best chance of some locally higher shear will be on the outflow boundary. I would go maybe one cell east of the dry line if the first is right on the DL. 

Hi-Res models have other cell(s) in Oklahoma with a decent inflow environment. However some cells are on the cold front and CAPE is lower up there. Plus side includes a second east-west boundary southeast OK.

That rotation near KFDR badly needs a tornado warning.

Why did that thing not get a tor warning? Ive seen tornado warnings issued for 100 mph winds even though there was no strong rotation. that thing last night had 100+ mph winds at 400 feet AGL with decent rotation multiple times 

Why did that thing not get a tor warning? Ive seen tornado warnings issued for 100 mph winds even though there was no strong rotation. that thing last night had 100+ mph winds at 400 feet AGL with decent rotation multiple times

I have heard from a few people that OUN has a policy of not issuing TORs for qlcs's. Not sure if there is a rotational velocity threshold for a qlcs mesovorticy that they would forego the policy and issue a TOR.

I have heard from a few people that OUN has a policy of not issuing TORs for qlcs's. Not sure if there is a rotational velocity threshold for a qlcs mesovorticy that they would forego the policy and issue a TOR.

In my opinion that isn't a good policy especially when it is pretty obvious there is an extremely strong circulation present.

In my opinion that isn't a good policy especially when it is pretty obvious there is an extremely strong circulation present.

If it's a blanket policy against QLCS tornado warnings then yeah, bad idea.  QLCS tornadoes can be pretty strong on occasion.

Although I most of the time don't like to put myself in the position of criticizing another WFO, I did feel it was important to share that information. Whether the policy is officially in writing or unwritten, I also don't agree with it and last night is a good example why.

From those in the know that I've spoken to, there's a much larger scientific debate behind all of it that deals with at least in part some at OUN and some prominent experts in the field questioning the existence of qlcs tornadoes.

Although I most of the time don't like to put myself in the position of criticizing another WFO, I did feel it was important to share that information. Whether the policy is officially in writing or unwritten, I also don't agree with it and last night is a good example why.

From those in the know that I've spoken to, there's a much larger scientific debate behind all of it that deals with at least in part some at OUN and some prominent experts in the field questioning the existence of qlcs tornadoes.

Even if they don't exist, which I would disagree with their questioning, there is evidence of strong damage that occurs from these enhanced pockets of shear. The problem is severe warnings in a squall line don't carry the same weight as a tornado warning.

Wow, really?  Had no idea there was still a debate.  If they don't exist, then it begs the question about what causes tornado-like damage patterns in some QLCS events. 

ULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED  
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FORT WORTH TX  
523 PM CDT MON APR 11 2016  

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN FORT WORTH HAS ISSUED A  

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...  
COLLIN COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL TEXAS...  
EASTERN DENTON COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL TEXAS...  

* UNTIL 615 PM CDT  

* AT 521 PM CDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED NEAR KRUGERVILLE...  
OR NEAR DENTON...MOVING EAST AT 45 MPH.  

HAZARD...TENNIS BALL SIZE HAIL AND 70 MPH WIND GUSTS.  

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED. NUMEROUS REPORTS OF GOLF BALL TO  
TENNIS BALL SIZE HAIL HAVE BEEN REPORTED WITH THIS STORM

.A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 700 PM CDT  
FOR SOUTHEASTERN COLLIN...NORTHEASTERN DALLAS...SOUTHERN HUNT...  
ROCKWALL AND NORTHERN KAUFMAN COUNTIES...  

AT 616 PM CDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED NEAR FATE...OR NEAR  
ROCKWALL...MOVING EAST AT 45 MPH.  

THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS STORM.  

HAZARD...SOFTBALL SIZE HAIL AND 70 MPH WIND GUSTS.  

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED. AT 617 PM SOFTBALL SIZE HAIL WAS REPORTED  
JUST SOUTHEAST OF WYLIE.  

Wow, really? Had no idea there was still a debate. If they don't exist, then it begs the question about what causes tornado-like damage patterns in some QLCS events.

Yup, I wasn't aware there was a debate either until recently. Having been on multiple surveys for qlcs tornadoes, the damage patterns are indistinguishable from supercell tornadoes.

Archived