Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 3, 2016 Snowblitz Observations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fun event

In Boston metro, the largest flake diameters may have surpassed the ground accumulation.

Definitely heaviest rates of the season, and largest flakes I think I've ever seen, legit 2"+ flakes.

For Boston metro, lots of the accumulation was wasted with melting in between bands 6-7am...

And I think we'd have had a better shot at 3-4" if it was just a few degrees colder. It was still 32-34F at 7:30am, so aside from the band with the incredible snowgrowth, the snowfall was mostly wasted.

I was a bit surprised how much qpf was wasted at the onset near and east of 128...I knew it would be some, but I expected a bit quicker accumulation than what happened.

But regardless, hard to complain too much about this event given how lightning fast it was moving.

T-storm at 11:30 pm last night to waking up to 1" of snow at 7:30 makes for an interesting weather day.

Now snowing/graupel mix with sunshine. Fun stuff.

yeah, we had a pea sized hailstorm with lightning/thunder at midnight and then a coating of snow this AM.  Winds nonexistent here-not even advisory level

Kind of dangerous walking the dog. One large limb gave way about 15 feet from me. A whole tree down on grove street in chestnut hill...lots of smaller branches and limbs.....and that's just from the snow. Wind should howl pretty good in the next few hours.

Just had a great 30 second burst of huge flakes with almost full sun out. Wut?

Well at least it was something...I thought you'd do better early this morning. Seems like even when things look decent, the radar just falls apart when it gets to NW MA, lol...every time.

But it won't stop me for next system...I think you'll do decent tomorrow.

IMG_7641-2_zpsnpa7fkax.jpg

Beautiful picture right there!   ...wow.  Eye popper.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not that anyone asked but this system totally avoided the Rt 2 corridor up here in Northern Mass.  I think that was pretty well depicted by about half the guidance, with perhaps half showing more impact here.  All in all...within acceptable error/expectations; particularly considering the exceptionally compact nature of this system.  Not sure this could have been modeled virtually any closer to what took place across the region.  

I would like to say... while not a very good analog for Dec 2005 in the larger synoptic scope, certainly the curled presentation of these system exiting radar loops definitely hearkened to that event, with meso-beta scaled arcing bands of cyclonic storm structure wrapping around a Cape and Island vort core transit; and all at less than synoptic scales.  Fascinating these types of ordeals...  

Also, not much wind accompanied this here, either.  We've gusted a couple times to perhaps 30 mph, but nothing compared to ORD over to Gary IN's 60 + like they had yesterday over the southern Great Lakes region. 

So all in all, quite forgettable. The sky is now brightening as the sun threatens to cleave through the back edge of the fledgling comma head cloud shield. SAT does argue for at least a partial sun afternoon.  

Archived