Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 2016 discussion/obs

WeatherFeen2000

Central Park top 5 coldest April 5th but 5 degrees from the record low of 21

It will be interesting to see how close April 1-15 temperatures average to the 50.8 December 2015 average in NYC.

50.4 is the NYC average for April 1-15. So the first half of April could actually be colder than December was.

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see how close April 1-15 temperatures average to the 50.8 December 2015 average in NYC.

50.4 is the NYC average for April 1-15. So the first half of April could actually be colder than December was.

What would really be amazing is if this April averaged close to or below the December 2015 average.

What would really be amazing is if this April averaged close to or below the December 2015 average.

It will be interesting to see how the second half of April turns out which will determine the final average

after the cold start to the month. The average April temperature in NYC is 53.0 and December finished 50.8.

. You will be in the high teens tonight so that could really do some damage. Cover everything up

Does that actually help? I know snow cover helps, that's partly the reason why they're still alive from last year, but I've seen them bounce back from the lower teens unprotected. I'll cover them though since I don't want any damage to delay their growth, or kill them somehow (with my luck).

Does that actually help? I know snow cover helps, that's partly the reason why they're still alive from last year, but I've seen them bounce back from the lower teens unprotected. I'll cover them though since I don't want any damage to delay their growth, or kill them somehow (with my luck).

Of course covering works. Especially in light wind radiational nights like tonight. I fully expect my perennials that are up to take a hit. Stuff like creeping phlox and cat mint

Blizzard of 82 brought down the cold on the 6th and 7th with low temps here of 18 and 19 degrees respectively.

The coop stations on LI show low temps on 4/7/82 between 12 and 16 with highs in the 20's.  There was 6 - 12 inches of snow on the ground and high winds all day with blowing snow.  They don't make Aprils like they used to ;)

These are my photos from that day (4/7/82):

http://www.northshorewx.com/19820406.asp

Today's spread here (4/5/2016) was 26/39 with a couple different periods of snow flurries early this morning (no accumulation).  Yesterday, we had enough freezing rain (about .1") to require scraping the windshield before going out in the evening.  I didn't bother and instead stole my wife's car out of the garage.  Snow would have been nicer, but I don't ever recall freezing rain here in April.

The sound giveth and the sound taketh away.  We still have a breeze here and the temp is 32.  This is more like an autumn night here (north shore within 2 or 3 miles of the sound actually has a longer growing season than the south shore and especially the middle of the island, despite the winters being snowier).

However, if we do go calm, the temp will plummet.

Guest Pamela

They don't make Aprils like they used to ;)

Looking at the last decade and a half...we could say the same about January & February.  That one on 1/21/78 might have been the only *good* January snow event between 1961 and 1996.

Yeah the stuff that's up is hardy. Had we been a week or 2 further along then we would be talking damage. I could see some of the good radiating places on the island getting damage tonight as temps hit the the high teens

..nice call..18* here in eastport

KFOK @ 13*.

little worried about the climbing hydrangea and clematis..(both leaving out).

Really impressive volatility continues with 2 lows in the 20's and snow following a high near 80 all

during the first week of April in NYC.

1  79  61  70  22   0   5 0.02  0.0    2  61  49  55   7  10   0 0.16    M    3  50  34  42  -7  23   0 0.09    T    4  45  29  37 -12  28   0 0.47    T    5  43  26  35 -14  30   0 0.00  0.0    

Anyone notice how windy it's been lately. Since late March, I honestly can't recall a more windy period.

High gusts here:

28th: 40mph

29th: 33mph

30th: 25mph

31st: 30mph

1st: 29mph

2nd: 24mph

3rd: 53mph

4th: 20mph

5th: 30mph

6th: 37mph

7th: 34mph

That's an incredible stretch of high winds. 

Anyone notice how windy it's been lately. Since late March, I honestly can't recall a more windy period.

High gusts here:

28th: 40mph

29th: 33mph

30th: 25mph

31st: 30mph

1st: 29mph

2nd: 24mph

3rd: 53mph

4th: 20mph

5th: 30mph

6th: 37mph

7th: 34mph

That's an incredible stretch of high winds. 

Yeah, rapid shifts in the 500 mb weather patterns producing record warmth to cold will do it.

It started around the time of the blizzard back in late January and continued with the Feb

record cold to warm and anomalous winter severe event.

Yeah, rapid shifts in the 500 mb weather patterns producing record warmth to cold will do it.

It started around the time of the blizzard back in late January and continued with the Feb

record cold to warm and anomalous winter severe event.

Agreed. Another wind advisory for my area and C/SNJ today. Incredible. Wind advisories have become as routine as sunny days lately.

Agreed. Another wind advisory for my area and C/SNJ today. Incredible. Wind advisories have become as routine as sunny days lately.

The JFK peak wind gust data is very impressive going back to the blizzard with numerous days of 40 mph or higher gusts.

1/23....48

2/3......45

2/11....46

2/13....49

2/16....55

2/25....53

2/26....41

3/2......46

3/17....45

3/18....40

3/28....49

3/29....52