SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 2016 obs/ discussion

2010 extreme

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stayed below freezing in excess of 10 hours.  Nice.  Not much in the way of frost this morning, just enough wind last night to keep it from forming, and the DP was really low (17F).  Hopefully, the lack of protective frost really allowed everything to freeze hard.  The flowers on my Bradford appear brown, looks like other flowering fruit trees in the neighborhood are similar.  Good riddance to them and all the bees they attract.  Now let's get this crappy green-season over-with  and out of the way, so we can move on to a good season, fall.

Stayed below freezing in excess of 10 hours.  Nice.  Not much in the way of frost this morning, just enough wind last night to keep it from forming, and the DP was really low (17F).  Hopefully, the lack of protective frost really allowed everything to freeze hard.  The flowers on my Bradford appear brown, looks like other flowering fruit trees in the neighborhood are similar.  Good riddance to them and all the bees they attract.  Now let's get this crappy green-season over-with  and out of the way, so we can move on to a good season, fall.

Lol who doesn't like it when everything is green..? I think some of the posters here forget they live in the south.

Sun angle is a beautiful thing. This is why when you live in the deep south cold isn't really a thing. For them a 40 degree january day will still feel great in the sun.

Wish we could bottle up this weather and keep it until fall. Been a great weekend. Imagine spring is waiting in the wings though.

Sun angle is a beautiful thing. This is why when you live in the deep south cold isn't really a thing. For them a 40 degree january day will still feel great in the sun.

That's a bit of a stretch.

You're comparing what a day here feels like in April with temps in the 40's to a Jan day there (wherever there is) with temps in the 40's.

Let's say you're talking about Mobile. That's the deep south. It's 8 degrees south of DC. We are currently nearly 30 degrees higher wrt sun angle than we are in early Jan. 30 degrees makes a big difference. 8 degrees won't make the kind of difference you are talking about. It's about the same amount of difference between Feb 5 and March 1 here.

I don't know who you are but.....thank you. If I ever get that island off the coast of Maine there is a bungalow with your name on it.

It should grow back although it might take till late May to look normal again. This is assuming you didn't get cold enough to damage the branches. How cold did you get?

This weekend probably only 27-28.  During the week, down to around 24-25. 

Next weekend looks chilly:

Sunday

Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 60s. Wind chill values as low as 120 below.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=MDZ506#.VIB8i4fB_nM

This weekend probably only 27-28.  During the week, down to around 24-25. 

Next weekend looks chilly:

Sunday

Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 60s. Wind chill values as low as 120 below.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=MDZ506#.VIB8i4fB_nM

25 degrees is a bit cold but nothing horrible. Maybe some light twig die-back bit nothing major. The tree should begin to rebud after 1 or 2 weeks.

A wind chill that low would zap the rest of the plants in the region...

He's trolling at this point .

29 - cautiously hopeful that a good number of my flowers survived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely not.  That's my God-honest opinion.

You are truly one of a kind. Fall will be here sooner than you know it. 148 days until Labor Day. 

Thank you... I think.  LOL.

I'm not sure he is.

You know I'm not.

I don't know who you are but.....thank you. If I ever get that island off the coast of Maine there is a bungalow with your name on it.

Definitely. Shoot me a PM when that ever happens.   :thumbsup:

This afternoon was very nice. 50 w sun and a light breeze in april isn't bad at all. The playgrounds in the neighborhood were packed....everyone anxious to get out after yesterday.

I took the opportunity to hike in the snow on the Allegheny Trail today! :)

May be last snow hiking until I head to Colorado in May.

Our magnolia tree has a lot of young leaves that are brown and withered now.  Anyone know if they'll grown back this year?

Yeah, ours did the same. The frost Wednesday (or thursday morning?) last week really did a number on them. They were all just blooming too! I think they should be come back okay, hopefully. Mine usually bloom more than once a season. Early on before any leaves come in, then later once its green. 

The only thing that worries me is the HP placement to our NE. Models don't seem to be indicating maritime flow or damming but panels like this make me wonder...

gfs_mslp_wind_us_22.png

Yeah, I can see that happening.  I can't remember when, but I looked at the models the other day and my first thought was oh no, backdoor fronts.

Yeah, I can see that happening.  I can't remember when, but I looked at the models the other day and my first thought was oh no, backdoor fronts.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think subsidence behind the departing lp in the Atlantic keeps PWAT's and dews pretty low even with broad NE-E flow. Looks potentially dreary in SC/GA though

gfs_mslp_pwata_us_22.png

Archived