Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring/Summer Mountain/Foothills thread

Met1985

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I know there hasent been alot to talk about but is everyone alive??? Awfully quiet in here?

Oh yeah just a very slow time with the weather. Pretty freaking boring actually. I really do hate summer anymore. Although the beginning of next week show positive signs of some major changes at least for about a week maybe with a trough setting up in the east and cutting off bringing much cooler weather and should see better chances of rain also which we need.

Boy do we have some big changes coming for next week. It looks like a typical winter setup really. A nice welcome to the beginning of May. We first start to see changes coming in on the 3rd with it being a good bit cooler. Even with lows in the 40s. The the 5th is when we really see a significant change. It looks like we may see highs in the 50s and 40s maybe in the higher elevations. Also some 30s for lows. Should be cool and damp.

Yep Met & Solak, I was coming here to post about Thursdays potential with that cutoff. GFS only shows the AVL airport getting down to the low 40's, but it has some mid 20's on the NC/TN border. I expect a dusting above 4000' for border counties. That will be interesting after how hot it is today and the storms that will develop later into the evening. Could have a little bit of hail somewhere around WNC today also.

Could see heavy cold rain develop in the northern lee (Wilkes/Surry) and move north-east then pivot straight back down into a south trajectory to affect Winston/Greensboro. Someone could end up with half a foot of rain in the VA Piedmont. Much less precip central/southern foothills and closer to zero upstate SC.

Watch for bust potential NC/VA border.

Could see heavy cold rain develop in the northern lee (Wilkes/Surry) and move north-east then pivot straight back down into a south trajectory to affect Winston/Greensboro. Someone could end up with half a foot of rain in the VA Piedmont. Much less precip central/southern foothills and closer to zero upstate SC.

Watch for bust potential NC/VA border.

Where do you come up with this stuff.  Could see a purple unicorn with lightning bolts shooting out of its butt, but we won't.

Where do you come up with this stuff.  Could see a purple unicorn with lightning bolts shooting out of its butt, but we won't.

A slight risk was issued just next door from about Raleigh into West Virginia. I think that will be focused more south-west with time given the short range model progressions of the rain on the HRRR. 2-4" is a given in a few counties but I think that could be locally higher if it pivots back south along the VA Blue Ridge and western Piedmonts of VA/NC. 

A slight risk was issued just next door from about Raleigh into West Virginia. I think that will be focused more south-west with time given the short range model progressions of the rain on the HRRR. 2-4" is a given in a few counties but I think that could be locally higher if it pivots back south along the VA Blue Ridge and western Piedmonts of VA/NC. 

A slight risk of what? SPC shows a slight risk of severe weather ,,,,,,,,,, for days 4 & 5 -- in the central plains.

0741 PM CDT WED MAY 04 2016   VALID 050100Z - 051200Z   ...NO SVR TSTM AREAS FORECAST...   ...SUMMARY...   ORGANIZED SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE NOT EXPECTED THROUGH THURSDAY   MORNING ACROSS THE CONTIGUOUS UNITED STATES.

Archived