Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2016 General Discussion

IWXwx

Average monthly temp here is 33.7... -4 departure

how about there?

-3.2° here. Average temp 42.9°. If it wasn't for last Monday's torch, the month would have been -3.9°. 

You had all the snow, which translated into some cold nights I'm sure. Average high departure was -4.1°, while the lows average -2.2°.

3.8" of snow and rainfall don't know quite yet. Pretty close to 3".

post-7-0-68919500-1462127585.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April here had 46" of snow. total liquid of 4.2", of which 1.39" fell as rain.

You dang near quadrupled my total snowfall for the whole winter in the month of April lol. That is insane bo! I would love to lock myself in a cabin for a whole month with tons of food, and beer and firewood and just experience a month of winter up there.

April here had 46" of snow. total liquid of 4.2", of which 1.39" fell as rain.

Very cool Bo. December 2000, which is known as one of the snowiest months in Chicago history (at least for a majority of the metro area), didn't even have this much snow...and on top of that, Bo's total occurred in April...and in a horrendous winter.

This is a great example (there are many others too) of why winters in N IL are a big fat pile of nothing. I laugh at people...especially the media...who peddle the nonsense that Chicago (and even Iowa, Indiana, Nebraska, etc.) has rough winters. I could go on all day about how frustrating it is that the media dumbs down meteorology and editorializes "nice" weather...but that's an entirely different subject. The media is supposed to tell the truth in a professional manner...not what people want to hear.

Very cool Bo. December 2000, which is known as one of the snowiest months in Chicago history (at least for a majority of the metro area), didn't even have this much snow...and on top of that, Bo's total occurred in April...and in a horrendous winter.

This is a great example (there are many others too) of why winters in N IL are a big fat pile of nothing. I laugh at people...especially the media...who peddle the nonsense that Chicago (and even Iowa, Indiana, Nebraska, etc.) has rough winters. I could go on all day about how frustrating it is that the media dumbs down meteorology and editorializes "nice" weather...but that's an entirely different subject. The media is supposed to tell the truth in a professional manner...not what people want to hear.

It seems like this comes up a lot, but it's relative.  For as "tame" as northern Illinois winters are, they are more harsh than a majority of the U.S.  Certain people in the U.S. could look at Bo's winters and say that they aren't as snowy/harsh as what they get, granted there aren't that many places that outdo him.

April here had 46" of snow. total liquid of 4.2", of which 1.39" fell as rain.

Your monthly total is what I had all winter. Just shy of the 44" I had in December of 2000.

Yeah I would say Bo's area and the Tug Hill; and anyone outside the mountains of the west, have the harshest winters in the lower 48.

Of course you go north of the border and things get a lot worse in terms of cold, wind and snow combined.

You dang near quadrupled my total snowfall for the whole winter in the month of April lol. That is insane bo! I would love to lock myself in a cabin for a whole month with tons of food, and beer and firewood and just experience a month of winter up there.

And that 46" was in 11 days, and counting the 31st of March, it was 52".

It's definitely something to experience. The weather in combination with the isolation and remoteness does play with your mind if you're not careful, especially after several months of the same thing. I don't think I could leave now if I wanted to.

I tend to agree with Hoosier. A lot of the country doesn't experience the Winter Chi does so I can see where that is considered harsh. 99.9% of the population probably couldn't even fathom a winter like here.

When I lived in Indiana, I felt winters were harsh. Us weather nerds are a small populous. Winter gets pretty harsh in the lower lakes for spells.

I tend to agree with Hoosier. A lot of the country doesn't experience the Winter Chi does so I can see where that is considered harsh. 99.9% of the population probably couldn't even fathom a winter like here.

When I lived in Indiana, I felt winters were harsh. Us weather nerds are a small populous. Winter gets pretty harsh in the lower lakes for spells.

Agree with you and hoosier. I have said this on numerous occasions to beavis. Lower lakes winters are more severe than 80% of the country. This was a blah winter, our first blah one in a while. If the winter I just had occurred in Nashville they would be talking about it til they were old timers. Everything is relative, & to a snow lover who has access to pics and data from the snow belts of the northern lakes, no a chicago winter doesn't seem harsh. But to a huge majority of the population...a chicago winter is harsh. And yes, 99.9% of the population could not fathom a winter in the Huron Mtns. Someone in barrow would think a northern michigan or Minnesota winter was the tropics.

I understand the debate on the harshness of winter but what UP people don't consider is the amount of population in this area. Chicago metro is approx 10 million people, a widespread 8-12" over such an area is immensely disruptive. Here in Toledo with so much open space a 10" storm easily shuts everything down for days

Also our summers are much hotter than up there so it's a heck of an adjustment going from being in the 80s-90s everyday from June-early Sep to snow and 30s by November

Yeah - I understand what you, Hoosier, and others are saying. 

I just figure that this board is a good place to commiserate with fellow winter weenies about truly harsh winters...and that if anyone would understand, it's the good folks here lol. :)  I obviously don't get much sympathy among my friends, family, and the general public on this.

Yeah - I understand what you, Hoosier, and others are saying. 

I just figure that this board is a good place to commiserate with fellow winter weenies about truly harsh winters...and that if anyone would understand, it's the good folks here lol. :)  I obviously don't get much sympathy among my friends, family, and the general public on this.

I hear ya!

Do you have a idea when you are moving to the N woods of WI?

• 4 weeks later...

The harshness in Chicago is mostly a result of temperatures, not snowfall. I am from north of NYC, and I still see northern Illinois winters as harsh. Our snowfall averages are both 35-40" or so, but Illinois can experience nights of -20F and frequently below zero. In NYC metro, those numbers are rare and limited to historic outbreaks. Snow cover lasts much longer there, too.

Archived