• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 2016 General Discussion

IWXwx

Looks like the snow falls between ~5pm-11pm. This time around, the H85 isotherm is lagging the 0c line at the sfc so it should be a fairly clean transition from SN-->RN. Snowfall rates will probably vary quite a bit as they tend to do in spring but I like your 1-3" call. Then... onto spring.

That is exactly what happened here in T.O.  Good call.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? It looks like moderate snow on the MTO cams along the 401.

Of course temps are marginal, maybe uhi is screwing you a bit.

Picked up 0.7" here before we switched over to ZR. Basically had flurries and freezing drizzle back and forth until 7:30 pm when things really picked up. Switched to ZR around 10:30 pm.

Checked the records myself and it indeed is. Right now April 2016 is 7th all time. Looks like we should have no problem cracking the top 5.

April 1939 = 12.9"

April 1975 = 10.7"

April 1979 = 10.2"

April 1961 = 9.6"

April 1947 = 7.3"

April 1966 = 7.1"

April 2016 = 7.0"

With yesterday's 1.0" at YYZ, April 2016 leapfrogs into 5th place at 8.0" on the month. But that's as far as we go.

Terrible winter but an interestingly anomalous April to save it from the absolute dregs.

With yesterday's 1.0" at YYZ, April 2016 leapfrogs into 5th place at 8.0" on the month. But that's as far as we go.

Terrible winter but an interestingly anomalous April to save it from the absolute dregs.

Interesting start to April for sure. Even though it was only 5th snowiest, I can't remember an April with so many days of flakes flying.

Picked up about 1.5" here before a brief period of ZR. Can't wait for the pattern flip this week.

Interesting start to April for sure. Even though it was only 5th snowiest, I can't remember an April with so many days of flakes flying.

Picked up about 1.5" here before a brief period of ZR. Can't wait for the pattern flip this week.

Well, assuming similar stats IYBY, were you around for 1939, 1961, 1975 or 1979 haha? If not, then your memory serves you correct!

After 48.3" of snow the past 11 days.... this is the coming weekend!

several inches of snow to come first.

Thursday

Mostly sunny, with a high near 54.

Friday

Sunny, with a high near 62.

Saturday

Sunny, with a high near 65.

Sunday

Mostly sunny, with a high near 60.

You might end up being as warm or warmer than I will at the end of the week.

EURO only gets it to the low 50s here on Friday and Saturday.

Nature's AC FTL in your area. At least there will be plenty of increasingly strong April sun and the onshore winds do not look like they will be synoptically enhanced on any of the days.

Nature's AC FTL in your area. At least there will be plenty of increasingly strong April sun and the onshore winds do not look like they will be synoptically enhanced on any of the days.

Well that's good. When they're synoptically driven from the east it's not that pleasant. There's usually a window of time in the late morning when it warms up enough to feel pretty pleasant before a lake breeze kicks in.

Well that's good. When they're synoptically driven from the east it's not that pleasant. There's usually a window of time in the late morning when it warms up enough to feel pretty pleasant before a lake breeze kicks in.

It looks like southeast synoptic winds mostly with the exception of tomorrow and the typical mid day/early afternoon lake breeze shift to east or east-southeast. I have noticed a few times that the southeast synoptic regime lake breezes tend to have less cooling influence farther inland vs. northerly synoptic regimes. That's what I've seen anecdotally on the 1 minute data for ORD and MDW upon lake breeze passage in the 2 different regimes.

It looks like southeast synoptic winds mostly with the exception of tomorrow and the typical mid day/early afternoon lake breeze shift to east or east-southeast. I have noticed a few times that the southeast synoptic regime lake breezes tend to have less cooling influence farther inland vs. northerly synoptic regimes. That's what I've seen anecdotally on the 1 minute data for ORD and MDW upon lake breeze passage in the 2 different regimes.

This is where living south of the lake helps.  :pimp:

weekend highs were lowered by 3 degrees already.... not that I'm complaining.

very blustery and snow showers all afternoon.  high was 30.  A few more inches tonight/early morning Tue then things turn around.

weekend highs were lowered by 3 degrees already.... not that I'm complaining.

very blustery and snow showers all afternoon.  high was 30.  A few more inches tonight/early morning Tue then things turn around.

Yeah I was gunna say earlier when you posted the forecast, I would pound the under. Probably about 10 degrees for all except Sunday.

Interesting snow stats for the recent April winter blast....

This area missed out on the blankets of April snow that nearby areas saw, but flakes were in the air seemingly constantly, with snow falling on 8 of 9 days from April 2-10. Though.DTW only accumulated a grand total of 1.3" of April snow (2.1" imby), measurable snow fell on 5 days (2nd, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th). Only 1 April on record had more days of measurable snow, and no Aprils on record had more consecutive days of measurable snow.

Most days of measurable April snow

8 days - 1957

5 days - 1920, 1926, 1966, 1982, 2016

4 days - 1881, 1934, 1936, 1943, 1953, 1976, 1985, 1986, 2007

Most consecutive days with  measurable snow in April

4 days - Apr 6-9, 1957...Apr 11-14, 1934...Apr 7-10, 2016

Archived