SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 2016 General Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KCLE 090851Z 02020G28KT 3/4SM SN BLSN OVC004 M01/M02 A2970 RMK AO2 PK WND 01029/0840 SLP065 SNINCR 2/4 P0007 60032 T10061017 53018

Needless to say the futility record at CLE has been cancelled with an impressive late season finish.

Incredible scene out there this morning! I'm hoping we can squeeze out 6" from this.

That's impressive!

Made it down to 20° here this morning. Still below freezing at this hour.

Great pictures guys. What a way to finish off the season.

This late season tally really puts into perspective just how incredible some of these futility records throughout the sub really are. With the window of opportunity for snowfall stretching from November-April, just goes to show, how much Of a clunker some of these winters really were. Especially 1930s-40s.

This late season tally really puts into perspective just how incredible some of these futility records throughout the sub really are. With the window of opportunity for snowfall stretching from November-April, just goes to show, how much Of a clunker some of these winters really were. Especially 1930s-40s.

The early start and late end to winter sabotaged my predictions of ridiculously low snowfall totals throughout the sub. Throw out November and April and it really was a clunker. 

This was a typical strong el Niño winter for the most part. Wintry at the beginning and end, with not a lot in between to show for it. 

I will say one thing there was more days that reached below zero than in 97-98. Giving this winter a B- grade.

This was a typical strong el Niño winter for the most part. Wintry at the beginning and end, with not a lot in between to show for it. 

I will say one thing there was more days that reached below zero than in 97-98. Giving this winter a B- grade.

Agreed, the last two winters kind of spoiled us in regards to massive snowfall and incredible cold. Maybe next year we will have a big blizzard.

Winter Weather Advisory issued by MKX.

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 8 AM
CDT SUNDAY...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 8 AM CDT
SUNDAY.

* TIMING...DEVELOPING AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...TRACE TO AROUND 1 INCH.

* WINDS...SOUTH TO SOUTHEAST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 25 MPH.

* IMPACTS...SLIPPERY SPOTS ON UNTREATED ROADS CREATING HAZARDOUS
TRAVEL.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR
FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR
SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE
DRIVING.

Good post. There were some crazy clunkers in those decades. Actually, we had several clunkers stretching well into the 1950s-60s as well. Thats why when an area has a slow start to winter and futility records are being discussed in January I just roll my eyes. Anything can happen, but it is realistic to expect measurable snow, especially north of I80, from Nov to Apr with a slight chance in Oct and a very outside shot even in May. In addition to the known clunkers, there are many winters which just appear to be in the "crummy-but-not-clunker-or-futility" camp but that is only because of a spring or fall snowfall. Rather than diving into stats or discussing "nuisance" "big dog" etc, a very easy blanket statement would be to say overall, winters seem more active than they used to be. This winter from an active winter weather perspective was not bad in any month except Dec here. Its lack of sustained cold/snowcover is what leaves a bad taste in a winter lovers mouth, but Im actually surprised how decently active it was for a strong Nino. Going into the season with a super nino and juiced jet, I would have expected maybe a few bigger storms but way less actual storm systems than we had.

Archived