joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2016 General Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sun came out for an hour or so.  The clouds to the north with the snow definitely look convective.  Should be ripping in about an hour or so.

You're going to get clocked.

With each passing snow shower the ground is slowly whitening up. Down to freezing here.

Center of mesolow approaching Hartford.

MKX.N0Q.20160408.2353.gif

Potent area of snow west of here moving towards Du Page.

LOT.N0Q.20160409.0304.gif

Edit: Visibility way down there around 100 feet.

Saving grace for sure with this crappy pattern has been the interesting weather with these clippers due to steep rates and low freezing levels. Pretty noteworthy for multiple occurrences of significant visibility reductions around the area within a week in April. Overnight tomorrow night could have a decent period of snow to wintry mix too with a cold dry airmass in place to start yielding a stout wet bulb response until the WAA overcomes.

Saving grace for sure with this crappy pattern has been the interesting weather with these clippers due to steep rates and low freezing levels. Pretty noteworthy for multiple occurrences of significant visibility reductions around the area within a week in April. Overnight tomorrow night could have a decent period of snow to wintry mix too with a cold dry airmass in place to start yielding a stout wet bulb response until the WAA overcomes.

It's been an interesting month that's for sure. Today was a lot like last Saturday.

Another 0.9" with this latest batch. 1.8" for the day.

Looks like some LES brushing the shoreline right now.

Death band is headed my way, it's in Jackson right now moving south. Will try to get pics.

That's pretty nice looking.

GRR.N0Q.20160409.0441.gif

My street and driveway have turned icy. Just heard a car spinning their tires trying to get up the hill.

Down to 26°.

Noticed some model output even hinting at a little freezing rain during the transition, but I'm not sure how long it would last given time of year and southerly low level flow.

And now you're getting LES in a few minutes.

Getting pretty chilly out there with the snow on the ground.

Regarding the LES, definitely more of a multiband setup now but it appears low level convergence will align better in the next few hours to get a nice single band to develop as the high res guidance is depicting and it looks like that may be starting to take place over the lake.

I wonder if it sets up a bit west of the farthest east guidance with the band given closer to due north flow, or a stronger single band farther east and a weaker but still decent band west.

Already a good LES setup in place over Lake Michigan and forecast soundings I looked at earlier today were showing equilibrium levels peaking over 12kft and lake induced CAPE of 500 + j/kg early in the morning.

4f694e201131e3d953c760706e91e1c9.jpg

edc657c09a8d6d22acea215db286e495.jpg

Noticed some model output even hinting at a little freezing rain during the transition, but I'm not sure how long it would last given time of year and southerly low level flow.

I don't have a great feel on the freezing rain potential due to uncertainty over how quickly boundary layer temps warm with southerly flow and strong WAA. However the very low starting dewpoints and overnight timing do increase chances some. Did include freezing rain in the grids for much of the area but with a very minimal accumulation of up to .01"

Archived