• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mar. 27-31 Severe Threats

SPC has already posted a D4 severe risk for the southern part of this subforum (including S IL, SW IN, W KY at this time) for Easter Sunday (Mar. 27), although most of the action may be in the Mid-South.  Also hinting at a possibly active period as March concludes next Wednesday/Thursday:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/exper/day4-8/

DAY 4-8 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK 
   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
   0359 AM CDT THU MAR 24 2016

VALID 271200Z - 011200Z

...DISCUSSION...
   SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE LIKELY DAY 4/SUNDAY ACROSS PARTS OF THE
   MID-SOUTH AND TN/OH VALLEYS. AN UPPER TROUGH IS EXPECTED TO SPREAD
   EAST-NORTHEASTWARD OVER THE SOUTH-CENTRAL/EAST-CENTRAL CONUS ON
   SUNDAY/MONDAY DAYS 4-5. REGARDING THIS TROUGH...SOME TIMING/PHASING
   DIFFERENCES EXIST AMONG AVAILABLE GUIDANCE...WITH THE 00Z ECMWF
   /SLOWER/ CONTINUING TO EXHIBIT GREATER RUN-TO-RUN CONSISTENCY AS
   COMPARED TO FASTER 00Z GFS/GEFS SOLUTIONS. THIS SYSTEM WILL LIKELY
   HAVE ACCESS TO SOMEWHAT RICHER LOW-LEVEL MOISTURE AS COMPARED TO THE
   TROUGH CURRENTLY CROSSING THE SOUTHERN TIER OF THE CONUS...WHILE
   AMPLE FORCING/STRONG WIND FIELD WILL CONTRIBUTE TO A SEVERE RISK
   ACROSS THE MID-SOUTH AND TN/OH VALLEYS ON SUNDAY/DAY 4.

AT LEAST SOME SEVERE POTENTIAL MAY CONTINUE INTO DAY 5/MONDAY ACROSS
   PORTIONS OF THE MID-ATLANTIC STATES/CAROLINAS...AND POSSIBLY AS FAR
   SOUTH AS FL. WHILE THE AFOREMENTIONED GUIDANCE VARIABILITY PRECLUDES
   A GRAPHICAL RISK DELINEATION...AT LEAST SOME SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS
   ARE EXPECTED MONDAY.

THEREAFTER...AS THE NEXT UPPER TROUGH AMPLIFIES OVER THE
   WESTERN/NORTH-CENTRAL CONUS...EARLY INDICATIONS ARE THAT SEVERE
   POTENTIAL WILL INCREASE ACROSS THE CENTRAL/SOUTHERN PLAINS TO
   MIDWEST AROUND DAYS 7-8 WEDNESDAY/THURSDAY.

..GUYER.. 03/24/2016

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More interested in the second system...looks fairly dynamic at this point but we'll have to see if moisture return is good enough for a robust threat.

Yeah, becoming increasingly interested in that period. Pattern recognition would suggest a higher end threat may be on the table and the moisture return looks like it will be at least decent further south (northern extent still very much TBA).

Given the event next week could be better, I'd say have two threads...one for each event.

Agreed. Next Thursday may be worthy of a thread on the general weather forum. 12z global op has a 970mb low over upMi, trailing cold front, significant mid and upper level shear, large warm sector with dews in the 70s down south (60s in this subforum). This could be very nasty if we see a large area of 2000j/kg+ cape and discrete supercells from Al to Mi. Luckily we are still one week away and things will hopefully change for the better..

Agreed. Next Thursday may be worthy of a thread on the general weather forum. 12z global op has a 970mb low over upMi, trailing cold front, significant mid and upper level shear, large warm sector with dews in the 70s down south (60s in this subforum). This could be very nasty if we see a large area of 2000j/kg+ cape and discrete supercells from Al to Mi. Luckily we are still one week away and things will hopefully change for the better..

Well yeah...

I can see issues right off that bat that would likely prevent that though, such as the ascent from sub tropical jet leading to a washout on Thursday.

Well yeah...

I can see issues right off that bat that would likely prevent that though, such as the ascent from sub tropical jet leading to a washout on Thursday.

I hope so!! Either way, it's gonna be very windy. When was the last time this region has seen a 970mb low?

18z GFS continues to show an intense system for next Thursday in our area.  Would expect changes in intensity as we get closer.  Wonder what the Euro's take on this is going to be in upcoming days?

12z Euro was pretty sheared out. 18z GFS shows a scenario that would potentially result in something quite nasty especially in the OV. 983 mb low at 18z in N IL with a west-southwesterly 700 mb jet streak near 90 kts.

18z GFS is concerning for Kentucky IMO. 

If you notice, there is a strong deepening surface low over NW Illinois. 

Speed Shear looks to be incredible. 

Good moisture returns with low to mid 60 dew points as far north as South Bend, In and Columbus Ohio. 

Cape is sufficient given the setup. 

Sounding over Louisville shows an uncapped environment. 

Ill definitely be watching this closely. 

post-14488-0-68294400-1458862926_thumb.p

post-14488-0-39512000-1458862928_thumb.p

post-14488-0-43999200-1458862930_thumb.p

post-14488-0-39224500-1458863148_thumb.p

18z GFS is concerning for Kentucky IMO. 

If you notice, there is a strong deepening surface low over NW Illinois. 

Speed Shear looks to be incredible. 

Good moisture returns with low to mid 60 dew points as far north as South Bend, In and Columbus Ohio. 

Cape is sufficient given the setup. 

Sounding over Louisville shows an uncapped environment. 

Ill definitely be watching this closely.

Yeah once you get above that 300 SRH threshold you're good with most springtime CAPE amounts. Impressed with the LCL and LFC heights as well, essentially ground scraping so I can imagine if this verifies you'll have a lot of "the whole mesocyclone is on the ground reports" with the larger tornadoes. 980 millibar low with that kind of LLJ is one hell of a combo, the storm motion speeds are going to be unreal

How the GFS doesn't have backing of winds with this system I have no idea. Even without the backing of surface winds there are some incredible soundings off the 18z GFS.

To already have it spitting out 1000-2000 J/kg CAPE at this distance should sound some alarm bells.  Obviously going to have to see how the system evolves but if it's not messy/sheared out, look out. 

To already have it spitting out 1000-2000 J/kg CAPE at this distance should sound some alarm bells.  Obviously going to have to see how the system evolves but if it's not messy/sheared out, look out. 

Yeah, that sort of instability on the GFS in March is something you don't see too often.

Yeah once you get above that 300 SRH threshold you're good with most springtime CAPE amounts. Impressed with the LCL and LFC heights as well, essentially ground scraping so I can imagine if this verifies you'll have a lot of "the whole mesocyclone is on the ground reports" with the larger tornadoes. 980 millibar low with that kind of LLJ is one hell of a combo, the storm motion speeds are going to be unreal

Slow down. The model agreement really isn't great regarding any sort of scenario like this. We've seen several times recently where this stuff has looked nasty well out and then downtrended.

I've been noticing a fair few number of people jump all over these things early with vernacular like "going to be", etc. only to have it go pear-shaped recently.

Slow down. The model agreement really isn't great regarding any sort of scenario like this. We've seen several times recently where this stuff has looked nasty well out and then downtrended.

I've been noticing a fair few number of people jump all over these things early with vernacular like "going to be", etc. only to have it go pear-shaped recently.

I know I'm just stating how good of a run that was. Definitely something like that would draw me down to the Louisville area to chase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IWX's thoughts:

CONFIDENCE IN TIMING/HANDLING OF NEXT PRECIPITATION CHANCE EVEN
LOWER WITH STRONG LOW CURRENTLY OFF THE ALEUTIAN ISLANDS WILL MOVE
INTO THE PACIFIC NW SUNDAY NIGHT AND THEN DIVE INTO THE FOUR
CORNERS REGION BY TUESDAY AND EVENTUALLY CUTTING OFF INTO MID
WEEK. COULD BE ANOTHER INTERESTING SYSTEM BUT CONFIDENCE IN TIMING
AND IMPACTS TOWARDS THE END OF THE PERIOD WARRANTS HOLDING WITH AT
MOST A MID/HIGH CHC POPS WITH PLENTY OF TIME TO MAKE CHANGES.

I'm willing to be almost anything the 06Z Run will be alot different. 

Regardless of any model data, it seems IWX already has seen the severe potential.

ALL THE EXTENDED RUNS HINT AT ANY NUMBER OF SHORT WAVES EJECTING OUT

OF THE TROF INTO THE RIDGE LATE MONDAY-WEDNESDAY BEFORE THE COLD

POOL DIVES SOUTH INTO THE NORTHERN TIER STATES AND ACROSS THE GREAT

LAKES. SHEAR AND INSTABILITY WILL BE BEST LATE WEDNESDAY FOR

POTENTIAL THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT. WHILE IT IS TOO EARLY TO

DETERMINE SPECIFIC SEVERE POTENTIAL THIS WILL NEED TO BE WATCHED AS

WE GET CLOSER.

Archived