Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
La Niña/Winter 2016-17 Discussion

dmillz25

52 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

Good DAleo video . He sees that Westerly QBO at 45mb combined with Weak NINA analog with cold throughout  Canada ,  GL and the  NE.

If Joe D'Aleo said that then he's totally contradicting a book he wrote on that very topic. Here is the link to the page in the book he wrote himself discussing the effects of a westerly QBO and La Niña. Take a look: https://books.google.com/books?id=PvJyVtw53Y4C&pg=PA126&lpg=PA126&dq=qbo+nao+weather+la+nina&source=bl&ots=IYxxDusGRj&sig=uKqWBQ48PPOiF-EWKbxSgmQEhLk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjnsYzn0fHPAhXMFT4KHe2mBXUQ6AEIKTAC#v=onepage&q=qbo nao weather la nina&f=false

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

If Joe D'Aleo said that then he's totally contradicting a book he wrote on that very topic. Here is the link to the page in the book he wrote himself discussing the effects of a westerly QBO and La Niña. Take a look: https://books.google.com/books?id=PvJyVtw53Y4C&pg=PA126&lpg=PA126&dq=qbo+nao+weather+la+nina&source=bl&ots=IYxxDusGRj&sig=uKqWBQ48PPOiF-EWKbxSgmQEhLk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjnsYzn0fHPAhXMFT4KHe2mBXUQ6AEIKTAC#v=onepage&q=qbo nao weather la nina&f=false

He correlates only  Weak LA Nina years.

His analogs are weak LA Ninas with westerly QBO at 45 MB

8 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

He correlates only  Weak LA Nina years.

His analogs are weak LA Nina with westerly QBO at 45 MBA.

That might be what he just said in the video and I don't doubt you that he did, but if you read that excerpt from his book, he clearly says westerly QBO and La Niña support a -PNA and +NAO. He doesn't break it down into weak, moderate or strong and he says nothing about 45mb in that book. Why this suddenly makes a difference in the video he just put out and it didn't when he wrote the book I have no idea. You'd think if that really was such an important exception he would have said so in that book people have to pay for to read

4 hours ago, snowman19 said:

That might be what he just said in the video and I don't doubt you that he did, but if you read that excerpt from his book, he clearly says westerly QBO and La Niña support a -PNA and +NAO. He doesn't break it down into weak, moderate or strong and he says nothing about 45mb in that book. Why this suddenly makes a difference in the video he just put out and it didn't when he wrote the book I have no idea. You'd think if that really was such an important exception he would have said so in that book people have to pay for 

A -AO may be the rule and not the exception this winter .

Ultimately it may be a significant driver with keeping increased heights up over the pole .

The state of the EPO and NAO forecast is still a little down the road for me .

We are going to get off to a quick start. 

4 hours ago, PB GFI said:

A -AO may be the rule and not the exception this winter .

Ultimately it may be a significant driver with keeping increased heights up over the pole .

The state of the EPO and NAO forecast is still a little down the road for me .

We are going to get off to a quick start. 

Its relatively rare though for the NAO to be in the opposite phase of the AO, unless both indices are within that +/- 0.5.  I think Don S has numbers on that and it was over 75% of the time they are in the same phase and hardly ever when one is over +/- 1 is the other reversed.  1993-94 is certainly the exception.

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, the MEI looks like the other indices with more of a neutral rather than robust La Nina atmospheric response at the present time.

The latest 30 day SOI has fallen to neutral levels and the trades haven't been very strong. The EPO has been weakly negative instead

of the raging positive that we normally see during La Nina Octobers.

This is the first time that we have seen such a narrow stripe of ENSO SST cooling across the Equator surrounded by this much record

Pacific basin warmth.

sst.gif

This link below is a great site. It has a lot of different indices in one spot. If you look at the 850 zonal wind anomalies, the forecast for the next 7 days looks nothing like a real NINA in the making.

http://www.stormsurf.com/page2/links/ensocurr.html

2 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

This link below is a great site. It has a lot of different indices in one spot. If you look at the 850 zonal wind anomalies, the forecast for the next 7 days looks nothing like a real NINA in the making.

http://www.stormsurf.com/page2/links/ensocurr.html

I note as well that the westerly wind anomalies in the eastern Indian Ocean look to end on that 850 wind map. Since they have been so persistent as that map shows, we might start to look for a cooling in the eastern Indian Ocean.

2 hours ago, mitchnick said:

I note as well that the westerly wind anomalies in the eastern Indian Ocean look to end on that 850 wind map. Since they have been so persistent as that map shows, we might start to look for a cooling in the eastern Indian Ocean.

Those wind anomalies are -IOD related

I'm giving it a shot and making my own winter forecast next week. Probably Wednesday or Thursday I'll post it in the forum. I wanted to wait till November to see how a few things went and now I'm satisfied pretty much with what I'm seeing to put a winter forecast together next week 

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

I'm giving it a shot and making my own winter forecast next week. Probably Wednesday or Thursday I'll post it in the forum. I wanted to wait till November to see how a few things went and now I'm satisfied pretty much with what I'm seeing to put a winter forecast together next week 

Is this it ? Be honest .

JK 

red5.gif

Just when I was getting a bit more into the Nina train, the SOI values have really plummeted and the long term SOI values are well back within neutral territory. When combined with the somewhat Nino pattern in the Pacific that we're forecast to be see for a somewhat long time, I'm not sure this Nina has much room to grow or truly feedback into the atmosphere moving forward. Not that some weak Nina feedbacks haven't already happened, but I always thought this was going to peak in the fall and weaken as we head into winter.

39 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The 500 mb pattern over the next week to 10 days as November begins more resembles the November El Nino Pacific composite below with the deep Bering Sea low.

eps_z500a_5d_expac_41.png

500.gif

Beautiful evolution days 12 thru 15 on the EPS and through day 20 and beyond on the weeklies. 

Classic -AO ( which is the driver this year)

and a  -EPO.

25 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Past 30 day change in the North Pacific. Note the Gulf of Alaska: 

IMG_8229.PNG

Too little too late. Still AN there. 

alaska_cdas1_anom.png

The AO is your main driver  this winter 

All that cold air that will be forced into Asia is going to come off that continent run into those AN anomalies .

It will force that air up and over the responding ridge and slide HP down its backside toward the lakes.

BN is probably the theme here. 

20 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

Too little too late. Still AN there. 

alaska_cdas1_anom.png

The AO is your main driver  this winter 

All that cold air that will be forced into Asia is going to come off that continent run into those AN anomalies .

It will force that air up and over the responding ridge and slide HP down its backside toward the lakes.

BN is probably the theme here. 

My post was just related to the blob and the Gulf of Alaska. The trend is what's important and the trend is big cooling there. The sstas are way down and cooling is still ongoing in that region, big change from the last few falls. It's not just going to happen overnight but there has clearly been a large scale circulation change in the north pacific reflected in those waters cooling which is why I doubt big -EPO this winter 

31 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

My post was just related to the blob and the Gulf of Alaska. The trend is what's important and the trend is big cooling there. The sstas are way down and cooling is still ongoing in that region, big change from the last few falls. It's not just going to happen overnight but there has clearly been a large scale circulation change in the north pacific reflected in those waters cooling which is why I doubt big -EPO this winter 

Again , look how close to the coast the warmer anomalies were in NOV 2014 .

Image result for 2014 nov sst

The guidance looks somewhat similar to 14/15 here . 

Not exact , but close .

IMG_20161024_215007.jpg

Image result for 500 MB DEC - FEB 2014/2015 PATTERN

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

It may not be as strong as '14 but I would guess we will see bouts of -EPO.  Just quickly plotting weak -enso's with +PDO...looks fairly -EPO to me.  I do think we have another +PDO winter.

Although, after last winters record warmth a little reluctant to start calling for a cold winter just yet.  

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 11.29.34 AM.png

Archived