Newest Member
    SnowHabit
La Niña/Winter 2016-17 Discussion

dmillz25

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It looks pretty good to me.  It's the first time in years we've had that much warm water by Greenland and Iceland 

I don't agree. The cold pool in the north Atlantic is starting to strengthen and is looking similar to recent years which had positive NAO winters.

anomnight.10.6.2011.gif

anomnight.10.4.2012.gif

anomnight.10.7.2013.gif

anomnight.10.6.2014.gif

anomnight.10.5.2015.gif

anomnight.10.6.2016.gif

10 hours ago, Tim198 said:

I don't agree. The cold pool in the north Atlantic is starting to strengthen and is looking similar to recent years which had positive NAO winters.

anomnight.10.6.2011.gif

anomnight.10.4.2012.gif

anomnight.10.7.2013.gif

anomnight.10.6.2014.gif

anomnight.10.5.2015.gif

anomnight.10.6.2016.gif

That's exactly what was being said on twitter, North Atlantic cold pool strengthening and expanding, AMO going negative 

3 hours ago, snowman19 said:

That's exactly what was being said on twitter, North Atlantic cold pool strengthening and expanding, AMO going negative 

3 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Not by any famous met, and besides at this point it's speculation. Nobody has proven a way to forecast the NAO

3 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Are you never wrong?

4 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Are you never wrong?

Never said I wasn't, which is why I said to wait until November to make judgements yesterday. You do realize that the early November run of the Euro could totally flip on a dime right? 

9 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Never said I wasn't, which is why I said to wait until November to make judgements yesterday. You do realize that the early November run of the Euro could totally flip on a dime right? 

I've noticed for the last 3 years you will promote anything that shows a warm winter.Your posts are informative but slightly bias

26 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

Yeah this is a great explanation here. it basically forces a ridge along the coast which also combined with a -PNA would be bad for the coast. The mean trough would be forced back over the plains and the midwest.

11 hours ago, dmillz25 said:

Question why would an east based - NAO be bad for the coast? I thought it would be good for the coast

It isn't always bad.  It largely depends on how east based it is.  Some people refer to a -NAO where the ridging is over central or eastern Greenland as an east based NAO.   To me that is more central based.  I consider east based over Iceland and near the UK 

WEAK LA NINA`s are fine when wanting to  keep the S/E  ridges just  weak enough .

We could either use a - EPO or West based blocking ( or at the very least , blocking that rolls back W )  to  help . 

Too early , but the LA NINA is weak and probably short lived . 

NINO3.4 SST plume graphs from POAMA forecasts, updated daily

Archived