Newest Member
    SnowHabit
La Niña/Winter 2016-17 Discussion

dmillz25

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Any drop probably wouldn't be much below what we saw recently as the subsurface cool pool isn't that impressive. Plus the trades haven't been

all that impressive for what you normally see this time of year. They have been much weaker than say September 2010.

I agree, I don't see this being more than a weak modoki Niña event. The +SOI continues, which supports a short, temporary TIW induced rise in temps 

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Be interesting to see if the official dataset shows warming over the last week like tropical tidbits does.

nino34.png

pac_oisst_anom_20160921.png

Based on the map below, I would say it would. There were numerous pockets of BN tempts in the equatorial PAC a week or more ago and they're all gone now. The problem with this NINA is that it waxes and wanes and the background/starting state was very warm. Even if the models are correct with the upcoming trades, it's still fighting an uphill battle.

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/oisst/navy-anom-bb.gif

31 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Based on the map below, I would say it would. There were numerous pockets of BN tempts in the equatorial PAC a week or more ago and they're all gone now. The problem with this NINA is that it waxes and wanes and the background/starting state was very warm. Even if the models are correct with the upcoming trades, it's still fighting an uphill battle.

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/oisst/navy-anom-bb.gif

SSTS aside, there is a clear atmospheric response to ENSO. We are in La Niña mode, -AAM, +SOI, OLR in Niña mode. Here is a real good illustration: 

IMG_8010.PNGNiña standing wave setting up

The Weather Channel has released their winter forecast.

https://weather.com/storms/winter/news/winter-outlook-2016-2017-twc

some key points:

Any colder-than-average air in the East may not persist long this winter, according to Crawford, thanks, in part, to the change to neutral or weak La Niña conditions in the equatorial Pacific Ocean.

"The reversal of tropical forcing suggests that the coldest weather in the eastern U.S, may occur earlier in the winter, with increasing chances for warmth during the late winter," Crawford said in the release.

"The expected lack of (atmospheric) blocking should result in the bulk of Arctic air sliding eastward, with only glancing blows into the eastern U.S.," Crawford said.

"Climate model forecasts for winter are unusually warm, likely reflecting the excess post-El-Nino global warmth, and another very warm winter is not out of the question due to this factor alone."

dec-feb-2016-2017-outlook-23sep16.jpg

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

SSTS aside, there is a clear atmospheric response to ENSO. We are in La Niña mode, -AAM, +SOI, OLR in Niña mode. Here is a real good illustration: 

IMG_8010.PNGNiña standing wave setting up

Huh. Thats weird. Just saw that same image on twitter a couple hours ago. I wonder if you are the person that posted it? 

10 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Sheesh that's showing a borderline weak el niño. What's causing such a spike?

MJO moved into COD and Tropical Instability Waves. The MJO is forecasted to re-emerge again this week, also big trade wind burst/easterlies forecasted. Region 3.4 should drop to weak Niña levels again fairly quickly. It is abundantly clear that it will be nothing more than a weak modoki Niña this year. Looking at the North Pacific 7 day SST change, the PDO continues to drop. It is restructuring into a classic -PDO alignment: 

IMG_8013.PNG

9 hours ago, bluewave said:

Way too much residual El Nino heat left in the Pacific, especially the tropics 20N to 20S, for significant La Nina development. 

It's the opposite of the Summer 2012 El Nino that couldn't develop with so much cold water leftover from the 2010-2012 La Nina.

SST.gif

SEP12.gif

I think we all agree on a weak modoki La Niña now. Even if it ends up as a cold-neutral modoki, the results will be the exact same atmospherically as a weak Niña. There is no difference between a cold-neutral and a weak La Niña as far as long wave patterns and feedbacks go

6 hours ago, snowman19 said:

I think we all agree on a weak modoki La Niña now. Even if it ends up as a cold-neutral modoki, the results will be the exact same atmospherically as a weak Niña. There is no difference between a cold-neutral and a weak La Niña as far as long wave patterns and feedbacks go

I think everybody already agreed on a consensus except for you aka cold - neutral

On Monday, June 06, 2016 at 11:52 AM, snowman19 said:
On Monday, June 06, 2016 at 11:20 AM, PB GFI said:

Like last year , It is prob a bit early but the CFS ( winter ) and European ( Nov ) have more of a basin wide look .

ps2png-atls13-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119

glbSSTSeaInd6.gif

Saw that. I always take the CFS with a grain of salt lol. I do think at least a high end moderate event is a very good possibility though...

oh really!!!!!!

36 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Moderators please stop this. Once again, "thunderbolt" is derailing this thread

26 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

You're a half wit moron. That was back in June when the models were showing a strong La Niña. I already said that's not going to happen and have been saying weak but you're too stupid, dumb and ignorant to realize that. Stop the trolling and derailing of this thread idiot

Not a fan of irony i see? If you dont like old posts being brought up, maybe consider not being so bombastic and try to speak in less absolute terms...the weather can and should humble even the most talented meteorologists. This is supposed to be a discussion board for learning and sharing ideas. 

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Confused North Pacific 500 mb response to the current ENSO neutral borderline weak Nina conditions. October starts out with a -EPO but switches to +EPO.

El Nino Octobers are correlated to a -EPO with La Ninas to +EPO.

4indices.png

As expected, Ninos 3.4 and 4 are dropping very rapidly again. In fact, Nino region 4 is the coldest its been in many years at over -0.6C. The models are back to showing a modoki weak La Niña for this winter. Meanwhile, region 1+2 remains above normal, over +0.1C, classic modoki configuration: 

IMG_8055.PNG

IMG_8056.PNG

IMG_8057.PNG

Archived