SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April Pattern Disco -2016

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah eps backed off after being gang busters. Hopefully eps didn't over correct.

Yep GFS did well with the one cold shot then just a bit below normal 7-9th. After that the eps and Gefs go zonal with abv normal Hghts. Earlier in the week the euro wanted to slap is with two real big cold shots.

Yep GFS did well with the one cold shot then just a bit below normal 7-9th. After that the eps and Gefs go zonal with abv normal Hghts. Earlier in the week the euro wanted to slap is with two real big cold shots.

I would caution that there is a difference between height anomalies and standardized height anomalies. When you standardize it for the time of year, heights are below normal to normal at best through the end of the run.

I would caution that there is a difference between height anomalies and standardized height anomalies. When you standardize it for the time of year, heights are below normal to normal at best through the end of the run.

And to add to that, I would also look deeper than H5 pretty colors. We had some nice pretty colors at 18,000ft since Friday and where did that leave us? 

regardless of specifics ...filtered through the user's impressions on both sides of the discussion ... the fact remains that the more dependable operational guidance types have significantly backed off on the cold incursion; and the users are correct about that being both in duration and depth. 

an important subtlety in the Euro and GFS operational versions:  both indicate the -EPO/+PNA hybrid ridge is eroding faster in the last 24 or so hour's worth of model cycles. the shortening of the cold duration and depth is an aspect that actually began yesterday...along with that particular preceding factor.  the trouble is, the actual derivatives that the respective agencies (that use the GEFs) did not reflect that aspect very well in the overnight teleconnectors from the night before. 

this morning's dissemination of those will be interesting...  

it has been noted by NCEP in the past, however, that often when the more dependable ensemble versions of respective camps coalesce around a common theme, the mean of the remaining ensemble members tends to catch-on; it's kind of an 'operationals leading the teleconnectors' sort of affair.  we'll see if this is one. 

but, this current theme is morphed over that witch's teet look, and though it is not zonal - no, it has lost a lot of the meridional flow structure in lieu of a more progressive look, where no particularly air mass bias would tend to "lock in" as it were.   though over all, the means don't exactly look warm for the time being.   

NCEP picking up on the weakening -EPO too

THE AMPLIFIED NORTHWEST RIDGE-HUDSON BAY TO SOUTHWEST TROUGH

PATTERN WEAKENS THIS PERIOD AS AN UPPER TROUGH ACROSS THE EASTERN

PACIFIC BEGINS TO ERODE THE WESTERN RIDGE. PER A BRIEFING FROM

SUNDAY DAY SHIFT, THERE HAS BEEN A MULTI-DAY TREND SEEN IN THE

ENSEMBLE MEANS TO WEAKEN THE RIDGE SLIGHTLY MORE FROM DAY TO DAY.

THE WEAKENING RIDGE ALLOWS THE TRAPPED UNDER LOW UNDER ITS BASE TO

GET KICKED EASTWARD THROUGH THE SOUTHERN TIER OF THE COUNTRY

I'd keep an eye on April 3rd too...Sunday. Pretty vigorous s/w on some guidance that is diving in and almost spits out an unstable IVT deal.

Sunday night into Monday could be interesting in terms of a cold as well.  If we can drop some white stuff and have HP move in at the right time, we could be close to some records.  Right now they look safe.

I'd keep an eye on April 3rd too...Sunday. Pretty vigorous s/w on some guidance that is diving in and almost spits out an unstable IVT deal.

It's funny you mentioned that ... because I was just thinking that if the pattern does indeed verify more in the progressive type, clippers would be preferred over the deeper latitude recurvers...  The air mass - at least initially - will be cold; just because the previous deeper transport thing is been damped some doesn't mean there won't be cold thicknesses within reach.  interesting...

Sunday night into Monday could be interesting in terms of a cold as well.  If we can drop some white stuff and have HP move in at the right time, we could be close to some records.  Right now they look safe.

A GFS solution would be close...euro, naso much.

Let the public hype begin.  I can see it now...Heavy, heavy doses of "What ever happen to global warming?"  comments heard at office water coolers and barbershops across the nation.  

A southward plunge of the polar vortex will bring a quick blast of arctic air directed at the Great Lakes and northeastern United States during the first week of April.

"The latest indications are the core of the coldest air associated with the polar vortex will track a bit farther north and east, compared to the outlook from last week," according to AccuWeather Long-Range Meteorologist Edward Vallee.

The main thrust of cold air will aim at the Great Lakes, New England and the northern part of the mid-Atlantic.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/subfreezing-highs-to-return-to-northeastern-us-as-polar-vortex-shifts-southward/ar-BBr1X9Q?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

Why Are so many people dead on cold and snow all of a sudden? Its not far fetched to see cold and snow in early April, but lots of people act as if snow in April is like an alien invasion.

Wasn't it April 8 1982 that Boston got a powerful blizzard?  Temps feel to 19F I believe.  It was a wind blown powder type storm. 

I just think it's because most everything this year in New England flopped!! Folks are tired of following/looking for ghosts that never materialize. And just like in early November, things have to line up pretty perfect to get a snow event in April.....Certainly not impossible, but gonna take something special for SNE.

I just think it's because most everything this year in New England flopped!! Folks are tired of following/looking for ghosts that never materialize. And just like in early November, things have to line up pretty perfect to get a snow event in April.....Certainly not impossible, but gonna take something special for SNE.

Some were saying that we were wishcasting talking about an event near the equinox...and it happened. Just because a few of the previous patterns failed, it had no bearing on whether that system was going to fail.

That said, I'm fine with others being checked out...they certainly can be and I get it. I just hope that if a threat does materialize that they don't come into the thread and tell us we shouldn't follow it unless it is a 1997 redux...rather just don't post in the threat thread (should one materialize).

Archived