• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring/Summer Banter

Mr Bob

Here's a picture of the flooded road out front. If you look to the right of those electrical/cable/telephone boxes, you can see the whirlpool where it was draining off. Actually, if you look hard, you can see above the edge of the water that it was even higher than this picture before I could get down there and make the picture. Never have I seen water get this high in my neighborhood.

post-10573-0-43428800-1467084795_thumb.p

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Been in Houston Texas the last several days.Nicholas has been training for gymnastics at a gym here all week so i've been doing nothing but getting a break and chasing pokeman with the kids...yup,they got me addicted to that lil **** so i'll be chasing pokeman stops now on my way home tomorrow from Houston to Nashville..lol,i made the mistake and downloaded the app on my cell..arrggggg

Greetings all! Just thought I'd pop up and say howdy. Been lurking off and on during the summer. It's not been too bad for an old man working outside. I believe it was Carver's Gap who mentioned the summer of 88 or 89 in the Summer Thread. Now that was a brutal August. Have gotten some rains in my section of the TRI but not as much as some. Still a lot better than others in the valley for certain. 

On a side note, my kids picked this week to go to Panama City Beach, FL! In addition to all the rain, the riptides have been awful. At least one fatality and 5 rescues in front of where they are staying so far. Folks just won't stay out of the water, even when it's a double red flag (meaning it's illegal to be in the ocean). They have until the 15th, so hopefully they'll have some clearing before they have to leave...but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Y'all have a great rest of the summer and I'll see you in a month or three. Oh and three weeks until UT kicks off their college football season! :D

Hey everyone, I have not been on here since Winter. Some Summer! I am not a fan of all the heat. Enough already!

Anyway, I am going to be moving to the other side of the mountains.  I accepted a job in Asheville yesterday. I'm stoked for a fresh start but a bit nervous; I have never not lived in the TN valley! I'm going to miss it. I hope it's alright if I still pop in time to time, especially in the Winter. Some great posters here.

16 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

Hey everyone, I have not been on here since Winter. Some Summer! I am not a fan of all the heat. Enough already!

Anyway, I am going to be moving to the other side of the mountains.  I accepted a job in Asheville yesterday. I'm stoked for a fresh start but a bit nervous; I have never not lived in the TN valley! I'm going to miss it. I hope it's alright if I still pop in time to time, especially in the Winter. Some great posters here.

We'll see ya in the SE forums! :)

Congrats on the Asheville gig but keep posting here too. Asheville has a brutal snow shadow, worse then JC in an east wind and occasionally even more frustrating than Chattanooga. However Asheville is a great town surrounded by the lovely Blue Ridge.

In other news I saw a Perseid meteor this morning with little effort. Woke up a a little early, still dark. Figured I would give it a shot even from the city. Current airmass is pretty clear, tropical humid vs hazy humid. Saw a particularly bright one and called it good.

4 hours ago, Silas Lang said:

Good luck with your new job.But one thing i hate more in life is moving,especially moving appliances.

8 hours ago, Silas Lang said:

Best of luck with your move and the new job opportunity.  I am sure you will do well!  We'd love to hear back from you often this winter.  Hopefully winter weather east of the apps will produce this year and you will get a good one.  

On August 12, 2016 at 7:43 AM, Silas Lang said:

Just 45 mins from JC so you will be close to your old stomping grounds.  You are always welcome here.  Some great posters on the other side like met1985.  Some other high elevation guys there as well.  Asheville has a ton of variation in elevation.  They almost have to give two forecasts there.  Recently, the pattern has been unfavorable there, but I can remember several winters where the western NC mountains got hammered.  Hey, at least you will have some CAD chances...

On 8/12/2016 at 7:59 AM, Wow said:

We'll see ya in the SE forums! :)

Thanks for the welcome! Will see you on the other side soon enough.

On 8/12/2016 at 11:15 AM, nrgjeff said:

Congrats on the Asheville gig but keep posting here too. Asheville has a brutal snow shadow, worse then JC in an east wind and occasionally even more frustrating than Chattanooga. However Asheville is a great town surrounded by the lovely Blue Ridge.

In other news I saw a Perseid meteor this morning with little effort. Woke up a a little early, still dark. Figured I would give it a shot even from the city. Current airmass is pretty clear, tropical humid vs hazy humid. Saw a particularly bright one and called it good.

Haha, well at least JC has me prepared me somewhat for the snow shadow. I'm looking forward to learning some of the micro-climates of the area. At least there should be some snow in the mountains if I desire to see it!

On 8/12/2016 at 11:46 AM, jaxjagman said:

Good luck with your new job.But one thing i hate more in life is moving,especially moving appliances.

Thanks, Jax! Honestly probably not moving much. Just essentials. Going to start fresh.

20 hours ago, tnweathernut said:

Best of luck with your move and the new job opportunity.  I am sure you will do well!  We'd love to hear back from you often this winter.  Hopefully winter weather east of the apps will produce this year and you will get a good one.  

Thanks! I will be sure to pop in from time to time. I still know a lot of people in JC and have plenty of family in Knoxville, so I would like to keep my eyes on the conditions for them as well. Hope you guys get some good stuff too!

57 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Just 45 mins from JC so you will be close to your old stomping grounds.  You are always welcome here.  Some great posters on the other side like met1985.  Some other high elevation guys there as well.  Asheville has a ton of variation in elevation.  They almost have to give two forecasts there.  Recently, the pattern has been unfavorable there, but I can remember several winters where the western NC mountains got hammered.  Hey, at least you will have some CAD chances...

Thanks Carver! Yeah, I'm pretty stoked to learn about how the weather works down that way. Definitely can be different on the other side, which is amazing considering how close it is. I am excited to get in on that CAD goodness!

You guys have been great. I will not stay a stranger!

7 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

We need an Upcoming 2016-2017 Winter Discussion thread.  The Nina thread was made in Dec 2015.  So, I say let's roll with a new thread.  Someone go for it.

Bump.  I think we have gotten a year's worth of mileage from the Nina thread.  Jax, feel free to start the new one....

23 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

Bump.  I think we have gotten a year's worth of mileage from the Nina thread.  Jax, feel free to start the new one....

Instead of starting a Winter thread this early,how bout i just change the heading in the Nina thread and throw in some type of winter discussion with enso?We still have autumn to go before winter.

Normally, I am not a fan of renaming threads.  That is a La Nina thread created in December 2015.  Otherwise, folks are going to create seasonal threads one year in advance.  I see no harm in creating the new thread.  I have no problem with you starting it.  The Nina thread should remain ENSO discussion.  Plenty of other aspects to discuss for the upcoming winter that don't involve ENSO.  Where it will cause the most confusion is when we go back to look up information in the future.  But mainly, it is the principal of starting the next season's thread before we were even a third through the current one...

44 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Normally, I am not a fan of renaming threads.  That is a La Nina thread created in December 2015.  Otherwise, folks are going to create seasonal threads one year in advance.  I see no harm in creating the new thread.  I have no problem with you starting it.  The Nina thread should remain ENSO discussion.  Plenty of other aspects to discuss for the upcoming winter that don't involve ENSO.  Where it will cause the most confusion is when we go back to look up information in the future.  But mainly, it is the principal of starting the next season's thread before we were even a third through the current one...

I think you should start the winter thread. :)Think it's jumping to far ahead and it might clash with when who ever starts the Autumn thread.But i'm looking  forward to winter

16 hours ago, jaxjagman said:

I think you should start the winter thread. :)Think it's jumping to far ahead and it might clash with when who ever starts the Autumn thread.But i'm looking  forward to winter

Thr MA and SE forums seem to manage... I definitely think a speculation type thread would create some good discussion with the understanding that seasonal forecasting is a crapshoot at best.  But it would be a good place to put links to the winter outlooks etc.. Fall would just be its own thread as fall wx does not necessarily correlate to winter wx.  I do think west TN may get some chances this winter w the weak Nina.  Would be interesting to look at exactly what patterns would produce for them.  Would be great to see us get some more west TN posters(we have a few excellent ones already) and to get some more folks from your market...I think having a diverse number of threads w reasonable specificity and timeliness is important for growing our board.  Having Powell on board for the entire winter season this year will be a great addition.

• 2 weeks later...

Many of you may know (or not know) but a tradition dating back to eastern days (maybe longer?) has been an NFL pick em contest run in the sports forum.  The schedule for each week is posted typically sometime on Tuesday and participants quote the post, bold the teams they think will win, predict a tiebreaker score for the Monday night game, and the weekly/season standings are then posted on Tuesday as well.  This contest is free.  

However, last year we introduced a pay pick-em league.  This league is run using yahoo and at the end of the season the top 3 people win money (65% for 1st, 25% for 2nd, 10% for 3rd).  We are hoping to get as many people as possible to join...the more people the higher the payouts.  We will also be doing weekly winners with that payout all dependent on how many are signed up...but think $10 per week unless we have a ton of sign-ups.  

Anyways if you're interested further details are in the pinned thread on the sports side...below is the link

• 3 weeks later...

Archived