• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
-EPO Cold/ High Winds/ Snow To Start April

bluewave

Pretty impressive that the 4/6/82 snowfall was able to stick around for five days...especially at central park.  

09........39....34.......T......T.......3

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, even as the cold shot will likely be fairly sharp--probably the coldest since April 1997 in NYC, the pattern will probably shift fairly soon afterward. My guess is that April will probably wind up on the warm side of normal despite the cold shot (60% probability in my thinking right now).

I'm with you. I'm going +1 to +2 as of now.

These sharp cold shots since last April, including the February record event, have only been able to last

5 to 7 days before temps moderated. My guess is that there is so little cold air available in the Northern Hemisphere

that the temps quickly rebound once the extreme blocking event fades. It looks like we will be the only area

of the Northern Hemisphere to see below normal temperatures in a sea of record warmth.

attachicon.gifgefs_t2ma_5d_nh_47.png

and that warmth will flood back in here once the cold shot fades....

Pretty impressive that the 4/6/82 snowfall was able to stick around for five days...especially at central park.  

09........39....34.......T......T.......3

Remember years heading into Super Niños tend to have late snowstorms. April 1982 and April Fools Day 1997 were prime examples. The only real exceptions I can think of are Easter Sunday 1970, which featured a nice snowstorm (at least 20 miles north of Central Park) heading from a Niño into a moderate Niña, and April 2003 where we were heading from a moderate Niño into a weak Niñp.

These sharp cold shots since last April, including the February record event, have only been able to last

5 to 7 days before temps moderated. My guess is that there is so little cold air available in the Northern Hemisphere

that the temps quickly rebound once the extreme blocking event fades. It looks like we will be the only area

of the Northern Hemisphere to see below normal temperatures in a sea of record warmth.

attachicon.gifgefs_t2ma_5d_nh_47.png

I agree. I think the absence of large pools of cold air in the Northern Hemisphere has played a role when it comes to the shorter-term duration of cold patterns.

Yeah, NYC experienced the warmest April through February on record. The average temperature

was normal for just south of Richmond, VA.

Screen shot 2016-03-28 at 3.22.01 PM.png

It's been a furnace since the end of last March minus a few very brief cross-polar flow episodes. There has just been an unwillingness to get sustained bitter arctic air on our side of the pole into Canada and Alaska since then

It's been a furnace since the end of last March minus a few very brief cross-polar flow episodes. There has just been an unwillingness to get sustained bitter arctic air on our side of the pole into Canada and Alaska since then

Just goes to show how a great blocking pattern can overcome all the warmth and produce the first below zero day

in NYC since 1994 and the heaviest daily snowfall on record.

It's not just our side of the pole: Eurasia was quite warm this winter, as well. We had large areas of extreme warmth in the Northern Hemisphere due to a Super El Nino, generally positive or neutral AO, cold stratosphere, and the gradually warming climate. There were few areas of below normal temperatures in the hemisphere. Usually when we are warm, Alaska and the western US are cold. But this winter, everyone was warm.

Interestingly, there is a very expansive area of cold SSTs developing in the Gulf of AK and Pacific Coast (as well as south of Greenland). If a La Nina does materialize along with a -PDO/-AMO signal, the hemisphere could be substantially colder despite the background warming.

Latest Euro and GFS hinting a a possible high wind event with the Arctic front

early Sunday. Both Euro and GFS also have the potential for the first upper 20's

in NYC for April since 2004. The last April 30 degree reading in NYC was in 2007.

Both the Euro and GFS are showing the potential for our first high wind warning event

since the February storm early Sunday. The 0z Euro has wind gusts to 50KT or greater

with a LLJ maxing out near 60KT in strong CAA with the Arctic cold front.

Both the Euro and GFS are showing the potential for our first high wind warning event

since the February storm early Sunday. The 0z Euro has wind gusts to 50KT or greater

with a LLJ maxing out near 60KT in strong CAA with the Arctic cold front.

OKX agrees as this was in their morning HWO:

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY.

A STRONG COLD FRONT PASSAGE SATURDAY EVENING WILL BRING

UNSEASONABLY COLD AIR TO THE REGION ON VERY STRONG NORTHWESTERLY

WINDS. WIND GUSTS BEHIND THE FRONT OF 50 TO 60 MPH ARE POSSIBLE

SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY MORNING.

WINDS OF THESE MAGNITUDES CAN BE DAMAGING AND LEAD TO POWER

OUTAGES.

The Euro is showing a torch on Monday, not snow

Monday night into Tuesday morning, look at the maps. It looks like rain to snow for the northern suburbs, but I could very well he wrong as I'm only looking at the 24 hour 850 mb temperatures. Either way, the wind threat Sunday morning looks good, although it's a bit toned down from yesterday's runs.

Archived