joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Grading Winter 2015-2016 Retention policy in effect

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temps for certain were extreme, but a lot of snowfall is within shouting distance of normal (outside of NNE where it's been epic levels of bad). It's been an ugly winter, but BOS never really threatened futility records for instance.

I don't know about just NNE, I'd put most of Mass west of ORH and also NW parts of CT in that horrible group. They had it worse than even NNE with like 8-20" on the season. Factor in NY State and it gets even worse haha.

There's a huge chunk of New England landmass where this has to be in the lower percentiles for snowfall. But yes, BOS and the coastal plain areas were just run of the mill bad winter. I'd almost say there was more areas in New England with a bottom 5 seasonal snow total than not, but hard to tell with limited records in the interior compared with the population centers.

I don't know about just NNE, I'd put most of Mass west of ORH and also NW parts of CT in that horrible group. They had it worse than even NNE with like 8-20" on the season. Factor in NY State and it gets even worse haha.

There's a huge chunk of New England landmass where this has to be in the lower percentiles for snowfall. But yes, BOS and the coastal plain areas were just run of the mill bad winter. I'd almost say there was more areas in New England with a bottom 5 seasonal snow total than not, but hard to tell with limited records in the interior compared with the population centers.

Yeah it is more difficult with the lack of observational record. ORH is probably about the line to CON and NW of there. ORH is flirting with a top 10 worst snowfall season.

It's definitely been sub-par around PWM, but I'm almost tempted to go B- just because this winter has given the weenies a taste of what a below average winter is actually like.

While this winter may be the all time worst at places like CON and BTV, it really is just one of several dozen winters below 30" at BOS and other parts of SNE, and likewise below 45" at PWM.

We ex RIers know pain

F- at Killington with 23.2% of average annual snowfall. We have received 58" of our normal 250". Since the ski area has existed we are at about 70" less than the next lowest snowfall total year. It made 11-12 look good by comparison. I'm hoping this is the worst I ever experience by far. The psyche of the entire region has been effected. People are depressed and hurting financially. Sad.

F- at Killington with 23.2% of average annual snowfall. We have received 58" of our normal 250". Since the ski area has existed we are at about 70" less than the next lowest snowfall total year. It made 11-12 look good by comparison. I'm hoping this is the worst I ever experience by far. The psyche of the entire region has been effected. People are depressed and hurting financially. Sad.

It really does spread like wildfire around these parts.

I've never seen so many folks in a funk over a winter.  Its just in your face every day.  Its on the news, its in the papers.

Like grabbing a coffee a day or two ago, both newspapers by the register had stories about the crappy winter and season.  I'm not even sure how the Burlington FreePress can still find negative winter stories to run, this has to be the 20th of the winter.  Every couple days its "Oh hey, this winter still sucks!"

It really does spread like wildfire around these parts.

I've never seen so many folks in a funk over a winter.  Its just in your face every day.  Its on the news, its in the papers.

Like grabbing a coffee a day or two ago, both newspapers by the register had stories about the crappy winter and season.  I'm not even sure how the Burlington FreePress can still find negative winter stories to run, this has to be the 20th of the winter.  Every couple days its "Oh hey, this winter still sucks!"

attachicon.gifnewspaper.jpg

It's not common, but these types of winters do happen on occasion. I mean if the xmacis stats are right, this isn't even the worst season for Mansfield (but it's close).

Probably doesn't help that the mountain has 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and now 2016 (barring a miracle) in the bottom 26 snow seasons all time.

It's not common, but these types of winters do happen on occasion. I mean if the xmacis stats are right, this isn't even the worst season for Mansfield (but it's close).

Probably doesn't help that the mountain has 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and now 2016 (barring a miracle) in the bottom 26 snow seasons all time.

Interesting we are in an 1980s rut as it is... The Coop hasn't exceeded 200" in 7 winters now. The only other time in history that has happened was 1985-1991.

A friend who is a stats guy said he's going to come up with an algorithm to grade the winter by, as we do think all combined this is probably the worst when you combine snowfall, temperature departures, snow depth days, and rain days. Mansfield is #2 least snowiest winter at the Coop but I bet with the other metrics it takes number 1 when you roll it together.

Interesting we are in an 1980s rut as it is... The Coop hasn't exceeded 200" in 7 winters now. The only other time in history that has happened was 1985-1991.

A friend who is a stats guy said he's going to come up with an algorithm to grade the winter by, as we do think all combined this is probably the worst when you combine snowfall, temperature departures, snow depth days, and rain days. Mansfield is #2 least snowiest winter at the Coop but I bet with the other metrics it takes number 1 when you roll it together.

Check out the snow depth days for Mansfield.  This winter right now is 50% the total snow depth inches of the next nearest winter.  Its not even close, though we still have some time left but with only 25" and melting on the ground, it won't add up much.

Just shockingly low snow depth...so even though there may be one worst snowfall winter that year was cold and it stayed on the ground.  This winter was just a total abortion.

F. Can't imagine anyone north or interstate 84 giving it anything much better. Largest event was about 7 inches that settled to 5.5 by the time I saw it. Retention was expected to be poor but was almost nonexistent. One record cold day and a few chilly days in a sea of warmth and endless futility with modeled storms failing by either cutting west or escaping SE. An all time torch Holiday season and a historic blizzard that missed south right when we thought we could be turning the corner towards a big second half. Not the worst winter ever here and folks in GC and North Country could give this an F-, or even a 0, but certainly a tough pill to swallow.

F. Can't imagine anyone north or interstate 84 giving it anything much better. Largest event was about 7 inches that settled to 5.5 by the time I saw it. Retention was expected to be poor but was almost nonexistent. One record cold day and a few chilly days in a sea of warmth and endless futility with modeled storms failing by either cutting west or escaping SE. An all time torch Holiday season and a historic blizzard that missed south right when we thought we could be turning the corner towards a big second half. Not the worst winter ever here and folks in GC and North Country could give this an F-, or even a 0, but certainly a tough pill to swallow.

Jealous of a 7" event! I never even saw 5" of pure snow all at once this winter. Saw a 6" event but half snow half sleet.

I can't even think of a 4-inch snowfall (that didn't mix with anything) in town this winter..

Jealous of a 7" event! I never even saw 5" of pure snow all at once this winter. Saw a 6" event but half snow half sleet.

I can't even think of a 4-inch snowfall (that didn't mix with anything) in town this winter..

The picture that DIT posted of his deck looks like a mammoth amount of snow to me :( 

Archived