joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Grading Winter 2015-2016 Retention policy in effect

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

F+ with the two weeks in Feb really memorable and the Jan blizzard. Best cement storm since 97 with multiple trees power lines down. Other than that brutal

I give it some extra points because not only 2 10+ storms, but they both trended extremely favorably at the last minute which is so much better than a NYC 8" Juno bust. But yes, super super short for wintry appeal.

It's definitely been sub-par around PWM, but I'm almost tempted to go B- just because this winter has given the weenies a taste of what a below average winter is actually like.

While this winter may be the all time worst at places like CON and BTV, it really is just one of several dozen winters below 30" at BOS and other parts of SNE, and likewise below 45" at PWM.

It's definitely been sub-par around PWM, but I'm almost tempted to go B- just because this winter has given the weenies a taste of what a below average winter is actually like.

While this winter may be the all time worst at places like CON and BTV, it really is just one of several dozen winters below 30" at BOS and other parts of SNE, and likewise below 45" at PWM.

If we're factoring in heating costs I'd be tempted to raise the grade to a C-.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I won't lie, I'm grateful to not have had temps like last winter...but in terms of what winter should be, this winter totally failed...didn't even come close...it alternated back and forth between fall and spring, with the exception of a 7-10 day period that could be categorized as winter...it was a FAIL for all winter activities, and now we wrap it up with the earliest ice-out for Lake Eek...

it is what it is...too many pieces of energy creating destructive wave interference...or no blocking to keep the big ones from cutting west...

oh hell, to further support it being an FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

my lawn never completely went dormant...over 50% of my backyard had green and growing grass all through the winter...my front lawn is only annual grasses, so that doesn't count for anything ;)

F

Easily the worst winter I've ever experienced, and yes, that includes some of the ratters I've lived through as a child in the late 80s, early 90s in in New Canaan, CT since 18.5" is about 25% of my average here above 1K in the Berkshires. 25% of average in my old stomping grounds where the average was around 30" would equate to 7-8", and even those ratters I mentioned probably had 10-15".

'97-'98 was probably around 10-15" there, but my expectations were lower, so it didn't hurt as much. Living in a place that averages more snow raises one's expectations, so the hurt becomes worse if you don't perform. 

'94-'95 had an awesome storm in early February that dumped 14-16" in New Canaan before ending as some light sleet and freezing drizzle (forecasts were for 2-4" and then rain), so that made that winter a bit less miserable. 

I'm hoping to relocate to S VT above 2K once the home gets built either later this year or next year. Since they average 110-120" a year there, the expectations will be quite lofty. They probably had 35" or so up there this year, based on ALY PNS reports from nearby Woodford and occasional drives up to my plot. Snowmobiling was limited at best on the VAST trails this year, so it was a year of pain for them too.

Making matters worse is I was sucking on the exhaust from the eastern New England storms last winter, so we truly are cursed. Hopefully we #reversethecurse next winter since this winter will always live in infamy around these parts.

Obviously the worst possible up here. A complete and total failure. F-

The quarry is a calling.

600 days without a warning level event is on the table.

Interestingly enough this winter was very similar to 2011-12 in BTV....but much different in the mountains.

BTV just went through a period like you are describing not long ago...they had a 6" event in March 2011 and then didn't have another one until late December 2012. That's a full year and a half without a 6" event.

I find that logic silly. Giving it a higher grade because it shows how sucky it could be?

21.5" in N ORH county 29% of average.

I find that logic silly. Giving it a higher grade because it shows how sucky it could be?

21.5" in N ORH county 29% of average.

It's mostly in jest, and I haven't put much thought into a grade, but it was a mostly meh winter around here. But because there are a few around here who could use a dose of reality this winter was a bit refreshing in a sense. Sometimes it's fun to discuss the weather without the endless whining about how bad winter has been.

Like we always say, the board would've folded years ago now if this was the 80s.

It's mostly in jest, and I haven't put much thought into a grade, but it was a mostly meh winter around here. But because there are a few around here who could use a dose of reality this winter was a bit refreshing in a sense. Sometimes it's fun to discuss the weather without the endless whining about how bad winter has been.

Like we always say, the board would've folded years ago now if this was the 80s.

Next winter will be a "dose of reality" when it actually snows and gets cold for more than 2-3 days at a time. Haha the ones getting a dose of reality is probably eastern/southern sections with closer to normal snowfall rather than 300% :lol:. Next year hopefully the west and north will get a dose of reality and end up near normal.

This was more of a "let's see the extreme of a New England winter" but in the wrong way.

Melt by Mitch!

I don't know if I'd call that a melt haha. There's no other way to explain this winter then without melting. The melts to me are the posts with no info in it and just a like drunken rant response.

As long as you can back up your claim as worst winter ever with some numbers, it's all good.

Next winter will be a "dose of reality" when it actually snows and gets cold for more than 2-3 days at a time. Haha the ones getting a dose of reality is probably eastern/southern sections with closer to normal snowfall rather than 300% :lol:. Next year hopefully the west and north will get a dose of reality and end up near normal.

This was more of a "let's see the extreme of a New England winter" but in the wrong way.

Temps for certain were extreme, but a lot of snowfall is within shouting distance of normal (outside of NNE where it's been epic levels of bad). It's been an ugly winter, but BOS never really threatened futility records for instance.

Archived