SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 23-24 System

RyanDe680

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Challenging/high ramification forecast for the offices up north.  Does the Euro keep baby stepping north toward other guidance, does the other guidance start to shift south?  Good thing is there's still time to figure it out. 

One thing I will side with is the EURO's cold front passage clearing the bottom of the lake and then some.

Is there a reason Geos other than wishcasting?

I'm putting out my thoughts out and tracking like the rest of us.

I would feel pretty good if I was you to get double digits totals. I agree with this EURO run, it looks reasonable.

I greatly appreciate all the long hrs Geo's puts in for all of us.

Indices update from Buffalo wx could be a nice piece to the puzzle or nail in coffin

If we both miss this one, maybe the next one will get us. EURO has 3-5" south of this system. That's like on Monday/Monday night though.

Is there a reason Geos other than wishcasting?

Cold front accelerating down the lake is something we see quite frequently in spring.  The argument against it to some extent is that this isn't a pure mesoscale/lake breeze situation and it could be overwhelmed by what's going on synoptically, but I'd still lean toward the front getting farther south than the non-ECMWF models.

Cold front accelerating down the lake is something we see quite frequently in spring.  The argument against it to some extent is that this isn't a pure mesoscale/lake breeze situation and it could be overwhelmed by what's going on synoptically, but I'd still lean toward the front getting farther south than the non-ECMWF models.

likely

gfs_mslp_uv850_us_12.png

Euro is still the furthest south, and even with that still too warm for even far northern IL to receive much snow.  The surface cold front may settle down into central IL, as Geos suggests, but that won't matter much if the pesky warm layer above the boundary layer remains.  Weak WAA will maintain that warm layer through at least 75hrs.  Some precip falls after that, but for the most part the event is over.  Heaviest corridor of snow looks to line up from Waterloo/Mason City IA to Sheboygan/Milwaukee.  

24lsth3.jpg

Euro is still the furthest south, and even with that still too warm for even far northern IL to receive much snow.  The surface cold front may settle down into central IL, as Geos suggests, but that won't matter much if the pesky warm layer above the boundary layer remains.  Weak WAA will maintain that warm layer through at least 75hrs.  Some precip falls after that, but for the most part the event is over.  Heaviest corridor of snow looks to line up from Waterloo/Mason City IA to Sheboygan/Milwaukee.  

24lsth3.jpg

For northern IL I think it's less a question of whether there will be significant snow than it is how much mixed precip falls, especially north of Chicago.  Can't see full soundings but thermal profiles look messy...of course any shift north would take most of the mixed precip threat out of the area.

LOT comments on the boundary

THE BOUNDARY IS  STILL EXPECTED TO DROP FURTHER SOUTH ACROSS THE LAKE AND NORTHERN  ILLINOIS WEDNESDAY MORNING BUT GUIDANCE COMING INTO BETTER  AGREEMENT WITH THIS BOUNDARY HOLDING STATIONARY RIGHT AROUND THE  I88 CORRIDOR DURING THE DAY. HOWEVER...THERE IS SOME POSSIBILITY  FOR THIS TO SAG EVEN FURTHER SOUTH. EVEN WITHOUT THIS  POSSIBILITY...THE FORECAST BEGINS TO GET REAL COMPLICATED WITH  REGARD TO HIGH TEMPS/TEMP TRENDS AND THUNDER POTENTIAL DURING THE  DAY. LOWER CONFIDENCE WITH HIGH TEMPS ON WEDNESDAY WITH THIS  LINGERING BOUNDARY BUT AT THIS TIME...TEMPS WILL STAY IN THE 40S  AND POSSIBLY NOT EVEN MAKE IT OUT OF THE 30S NORTH OF THE FRONT  AND THEN RISE INTO THE 60S SOUTH OF THIS FRONT.  

12z EPS mean shifts the snow swath slightly further north again(it's been trending that way for the past few runs). Nonetheless, the mean has ~1.5" QPF for the city of Toronto, most of which falls when sfc temps are AOB 0c. Tough to say what p-type will fall given the narrowness of the band but I'm personally leaning away from mostly snow or mostly rain at this point.

ECMWF OP has massive QPF amounts. Lehs noticeable around YHM.

post-7879-0-61250400-1458594002_thumb.pn

In terms of thunderstorm potential, not a bad forecast sounding for 12z.  This is from north central IL near the surface low on Thursday morning.

post-14-0-03447900-1458594005_thumb.png

Setup lacks good low level moisture but otherwise, a number of favorable ingredients for strong/severe storms. 

post-14-0-15134400-1458594455_thumb.png

I can't remember the last time an early spring cold front from the north failed to clear the bottom of the lake. Maybe this will be an exception.

As the discussion you posted stated, it all comes down that.

If it is anything like 2/29, then the front might be even faster than the EURO is suggesting.

EURO gets the front to this position as the low leaves KS.

post-7-0-63799800-1458594175.jpg

12z EPS mean shifts the snow swath slightly further north again(it's been trending that way for the past few runs). Nonetheless, the mean has ~1.5" QPF for the city of Toronto, most of which falls when sfc temps are AOB 0c. Tough to say what p-type will fall given the narrowness of the band but I'm personally leaning away from mostly snow or mostly rain at this point.

ECMWF OP has massive QPF amounts. Lehs noticeable around YHM.

attachicon.gifecmwf_tprecip_toronto_17.png

Until the models zero in on the track I won't speculate about the p-types and the progression between them, especially considering the tightness of the transitional zones. WPC likes a compromise between the GFS and EURO and that doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

24lsth3.jpg

I like your map. The warm nose was more prominent on this run. Only talking 20 miles difference, but it was noticeable along the southern edge. 

Dubuque to Milwaukee to Tropical land looks prime.

EPS at 72 hours has the 850 freezing line slightly south of the operational.

ecmwf-ens_T850_mslp_us_4.png

Archived