• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 23-24 System

RyanDe680

On the t storm side of things it is interesting that IND AFD is currently downplaying the possibility of t storms with this system due to instability and moisture issues.  But dews are still very low from here to the Gulf, and with the Gulf being scoured we have a time issue once again for quality moisture to make it up this way for svr prospects.  But that sounding Hoosier posted is interesting.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DVN mentioned the possibility of the cold air to the north influencing the low track further south.

WEDNESDAY THROUGH THURSDAY...LATEST MODEL RUNS HAVE THE ECMWF
FARTHER NORTH BUT THE GFS/NAM/CANADIAN FARTHER SOUTH COMPARED TO
PREVIOUS RUNS. THE CONSENSUS WOULD THEN TAKE THE STRONG CYCLONE
ROUGHLY ACROSS OUR FAR SOUTHERN CWA WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THEN INTO
NORTHERN INDIANA ON THURSDAY. A STRONG BAROCLINIC ZONE WILL BE OVER
THE CWA WITH THE NORTHERN COUNTIES HAVING MAINLY SNOW AND SLEET...
WHILE THE I-80 CORRIDOR STARTS OUT WITH RAIN THEN TRANSITIONING TO
SLEET AND THEN SNOW. OUR SOUTHERN CWA WILL HAVE MAINLY RAIN THEN
TURNING TO SLEET AND SNOW LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY. VERY
COLD AIR WILL BE FILTERING INTO THE UPPER MIDWEST AND GREAT LAKES
WHICH COULD ULTIMATELY FORCE THIS SYSTEM EVEN FARTHER SOUTH MAKING
FOR A BIGGER SLEET OR SNOW STORM.
WOULD LIKE TO SEE A COUPLE MORE
RUNS TO HAVE MORE CONFIDENCE IN SNOW ACCUMULATIONS AND POSSIBLY
ISSUING ANY WINTER HEADLINES FOR THIS EVENT. THE BIG QUESTION WILL
BE HOW MUCH FALLS AS RAIN INITIALLY...THEN HOW LONG THE SLEET LASTS
BEFORE CHANGING TO SNOW. OF COURSE...THE AMOUNT OF FROZEN
PRECIPITATION WILL ULTIMATELY AFFECT TEMPERATURES A COUPLE OF DAYS
BEYOND THIS EVENT. WE HAVE ALSO MENTIONED ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS
WEDNESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY NIGHT AS THE CYCLONE TRACKS TOWARDS THE CWA
AND A STORNG LOW LEVEL JET IMPINGES ON THE FRONTAL BOUNDARY OVER THE
AREA. HOWEVER...CAPE WILL BE MINIMAL WHICH IS THE REASON FOR ONLY
MENTIONING ISOLATED STORMS.

On the t storm side of things it is interesting that IND AFD is currently downplaying the possibility of t storms with this system due to instability and moisture issues.  But dews are still very low from here to the Gulf, and with the Gulf being scoured we have a time issue once again for quality moisture to make it up this way for svr prospects.  But that sounding Hoosier posted is interesting.

Time of day isn't that favorable either as it looks like it would mainly be a morning event, but that forecast sounding I posted was uncapped with negligible CIN even at 12z which got my attention.  Winter prospects ain't happening here so this is the only chance for anything.  :)

GFS sticking to its guns on the 18z. Gives a little more buffer room on the northern fringe too. Gotta give it props for its consistency.

MPX:

THE GFS CONTINUES TO BE THE FARTHEST NORTH TARGETING

SOUTHERN/CENTRAL MN AND WEST CENTRAL WI WITH 8 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW.

MEANWHILE THE ECMWF HAS BARELY BUDGED AND HAS CONTINUED THE SOUTHERN

TRACK ACROSS NORTHERN IA AND SOUTHERN WI. IT IS INTERESTING THAT A

LOCAL COMPARISON OF LATENT HEATING VS NON LATENT HEATING SHOWS

LITTLE DIFFERENCE IN THE TRACK. HOWEVER ITS GFS BOUNDARY CONDITIONS

YIELD A NORTHERN SOLUTION.

CONFIDENCE IS HIGHEST IN AT LEAST A HALF A FOOT OF SNOW IN

SOUTHERN/SOUTHEASTERN MN AND WEST CENTRAL WI...SO HAVE A WINTER

STORM WATCH FOR THAT AREA. THE NAM AND GFS CERTAINLY CAN NOT BE

IGNORED FOR LOCATIONS FARTHER NORTH SUCH AS THE TWIN CITIES...BUT

CONFIDENCE WAS TOO LOW TO GO WITH A WATCH AT THIS TIME. DID INCREASE

SNOWFALL TOTALS SLIGHTLY IN THIS AREA...WITH 4 TO 5 INCHES IN THE

SOUTHERN METRO...AND 1 TO 2 ACROSS THE NORTHERN METRO.

The GFS is really stubborn.

It does produce a nice thump of snow Wednesday afternoon for the GTA, but it changes to freezing rain Wednesday overnight and rain early Thursday morning.

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe 850 temps were above zero for the entire event in the 1st week of April 2003, which gave a ton of sleet and some freezing rain in the GTA.

Not to mention GFS keeps showing very strong MLJ. Would be a decent setup for a low-topped squall, I think.

Given the GFS coup this past weekend with regard to New England and NYC, I suspect it may be on a roll and will win this battle. The euro hasn't done very well this year. I'm thinking it'll mainly be a cold rain event for the GTA, with heavy wet snow to our northwest.

Must be a regional thing, as the euro has performed much better around here than the GFS this winter. Although, with the general piss poor performance, that is saying little.

However, it doesn't sound like the euro has verified very well since the update.

Given the GFS coup this past weekend with regard to New England and NYC, I suspect it may be on a roll and will win this battle. The euro hasn't done very well this year. I'm thinking it'll mainly be a cold rain event for the GTA, with heavy wet snow to our northwest.

Even the GFS has an ice storm (or IP storm) Wednesday night.

Not to mention GFS keeps showing very strong MLJ. Would be a decent setup for a low-topped squall, I think.

Several of the CIPS analogs were severe wx makers. I'd like to check those events to see how various things compare (especially moisture) but can't do it right now.

Archived