joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 19/20 Potential Winter Event

stormtracker

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worse run than 00UT in my back yard.   1000-500 hPa thicknesses of ~543 Sunday morning versus ~540 in the previous run. 

Surface temperatures of 34 at 7PM versus 33 in previous run. 

850 T of -1 to -3C Sunday morning versus -4 to -6C in previous run. 

The good news: Total precipitation is up from ~1" to ~1.4" and it starts a few hours earlier (4 AM versus 7AM) 

Worse run than 00UT in my back yard.   1000-500 hPa thicknesses of ~543 Sunday morning versus ~540 in the previous run. 

Surface temperatures of 34 at 7PM versus 33 in previous run. 

850 T of -1 to -3C Sunday morning versus -4 to -6C in previous run. 

The good news: Total precipitation is up from ~1" to ~1.4" and it starts a few hours earlier (4 AM versus 7AM) 

Nit picking too much this far out.  Won't disagree that every integer matters this time of the year more than ever, but you might want to save that kind of analysis for inside 24 hours.

Temps aren't perfect but I think that StormVista map is conservative.. Obviously Weatherbell's snow map is also extreme, probably a compromise between the two.

The SV map is wrong. Not really sure why they used it. It gives us 0 accum from 12z to 18z with .5-.6 during the period because temps are a little above freezing. Think it won't show accum if sfc is above freezing.

I'm wondering if it will be the biggest March storm since 1993 for some of us

I wasn't here for the Superstorm in 1993, but in the time since I moved to the area (in 2001), the St. Pat's event in 2014 is easily the biggest March snowstorm for me.  Where I'm at, we got 8" from that...almost all of it fell overnight (16th into the 17th)...and it was pretty cold.  Temps remained right at or just below freezing all day on St. Patrick's Day even after the snow stopped in the early morning.  This upcoming event, temperatures look more marginal, but at the same time it appears it would be a more intense system and more precip.  So there is that.  I wouldn't mind having it top my March snow list, if it can!

Here is the cluster for the Ensembles post-21302-1458245132.png

Seems like it's hard to go wrong with that clustering.  First call: DC and close in suburbs 2-5 inches, mostly grass.  Favored areas N/W 4-8 inches with a better chance at slickening up the roads.   I know it's out of our forum but NYC and its N/W burbs look to be the best spot for this one.  

Seems like it's hard to go wrong with that clustering.  First call: DC and close in suburbs 2-5 inches, mostly grass.  Favored areas N/W 4-8 inches with a better chance at slickening up the roads.   I know it's out of our forum but NYC and its N/W burbs look to be the best spot for this one.  

The mean is fine but the clustering might be problematic. We don't really want this to come at all N&W in the cities.

18z NAM kinda goes along with the faster GFS idea.   has heavy *something* moving in here late Saturday afternoon with the initial low tracking east through the Ohio Valley.    At f60 (where it is now), it is in the process of transferring to the coastal

18z NAM P-TYPE suggests its snow

There's actually been several mid-to-late March *daytime* snowstorms in the recent memory to have a bank to compare to.

Ones that stuck fine on grass even in the city:

3/24/90, 3/25/14

Ones that stuck elsewhere but not well in the city:

3/14/99, 3/30/03

The two that stuck didn't rely on insane rates; snow was moderate during much of the event. But they were both cold (near freezing even at DCA during the coldest part). I guess we could include 3/30/14 but that was such a weird event.

Archived