joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible 3/20-3/21 Coastal Storm

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWS in NYC put it kindly, noting they have a low confidence forecast, given model variability from run to run within a model and across models.  First snowfall map is up, showing a general 3-6" snowfall, wth highest amounts in CT/LI - not enough confidence yet in issuing watches. 

They also noted that intensity will be light during most of the daylight hours, with little accumulation, due to indirect sunlight, which is more intense in late March, combined with borderline surface temps in the 33-35F range.  Anyone who wants accumulations wants this storm to slow down a little so most of the snow falls after sunset, when accumulations will be much easier.  NWS in Philly talking about similar amounts, but their map only goes through 9 pm Sunday, so I didn't bother posting. 

StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

Still time for a west trend.

Nam, GFS and Euro focuses on coastals areas, especially in SNE. I would be happy with a few inches.

Still time for a west trend.

Nam, GFS and Euro focuses on coastals areas, especially in SNE. I would be happy with a few inches.

You will not get a few inches around NYC Anth if a lot of that . 4 on the Euro falls over 18 hours with the BL at 33/34 during the daytime in late March.

Don't look at the snow maps . You need the heavier rates to cool that BL and .1 and .2 over 6 hours during the day will not add up to 3 in the city bud.

The GGEM and UKIE are all I have left for my idea for the bigger totals N and W .

The EPS went east . Never a good sign.

This was looking so good last night. The 0z NAM looked much better and was a step towards the Euro's big solutions. GGEM shifted to show a huge snowstorm. It's amazing how quickly this fell apart! Looks like the Euro gave us false hope with all those big runs. It seems like the Euro has been terrible with storm threats this winter. Does it tend to struggle during El Nino years? I can't believe how bad it has been! 

It's not that it went east, it's that the storms energy fell apart because the trough doesn't go negative. Look how much weaker it has gotten on the models.

Isnt this kind of like Juno where the EURO strengthened the storm earlier while the GFS was consistent in strengthening it later.

Archived