joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 15/16 Severe Wx

kystormspotter

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not saying it was the same one but I suppose it could have been. We had one big cg ten minutes ago kick things off with a good twenty seconds of rumbling.

Getting a few more solid house shakers now.

There's cells firing where the air masses are clashing. Getting more thunder now.

LOT.N0Q.20160316.0251.gif

/\ twice as many today (unfiltered so far) when today was much more advertised for an extended period and yesterday was well, yesterday lol..  Gotta love weather, you just never know  :whistle:

Yeah yesterday was weird. I spent all of my Intro to Meteorology class yesterday watching those tornadoes. It's ok though, I'm comfortable with my knowledge of air masses  :whistle:

Tornado Warning south of Kankakee!

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL
1027 PM CDT TUE MAR 15 2016

ILC075-091-160345-
/O.CON.KLOT.TO.W.0003.000000T0000Z-160316T0345Z/
IROQUOIS IL-KANKAKEE IL-

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1045 PM CDT FOR NORTH
CENTRAL IROQUOIS AND SOUTH CENTRAL KANKAKEE COUNTIES...

AT 1027 PM CDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO
WAS LOCATED NEAR ST. ANNE...OR 10 MILES SOUTH OF KANKAKEE...MOVING
NORTHEAST AT 35 MPH.

HAZARD...TORNADO AND QUARTER SIZE HAIL.

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION.

IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT
SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED. DAMAGE
TO ROOFS...WINDOWS...AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR. TREE DAMAGE IS
LIKELY.

THIS DANGEROUS STORM WILL BE NEAR...
AROMA PARK AROUND 1035 PM CDT.
ST. ANNE AROUND 1040 PM CDT.

OTHER LOCATIONS IMPACTED BY THIS TORNADIC THUNDERSTORM INCLUDE
PAPINEAU AND BEAVERVILLE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

The area of that cell that started near Effingham still needs to be monitored IMHO.  There is still a fairly untapped unstable air mass ahead of it and it has become multi cellular as it's crossed the IL/IN border.  This is roughly along the track of the earlier big dog cell runs of the HRRR.  Still some instability to work with ahead of these along with some meager low level cape.  Not saying they will be tornadic but the cellular look of them raises an eyebrow at least with me.

Tornado Warning south of Kankakee!

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

ILC075-091-160345-

/O.CON.KLOT.TO.W.0003.000000T0000Z-160316T0345Z/

IROQUOIS IL-KANKAKEE IL-

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1045 PM CDT FOR NORTH

CENTRAL IROQUOIS AND SOUTH CENTRAL KANKAKEE COUNTIES...

AT 1027 PM CDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO

WAS LOCATED NEAR ST. ANNE...OR 10 MILES SOUTH OF KANKAKEE...MOVING

NORTHEAST AT 35 MPH.

HAZARD...TORNADO AND QUARTER SIZE HAIL.

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION.

IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT

SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED. DAMAGE

TO ROOFS...WINDOWS...AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR. TREE DAMAGE IS

LIKELY.

THIS DANGEROUS STORM WILL BE NEAR...

AROMA PARK AROUND 1035 PM CDT.

ST. ANNE AROUND 1040 PM CDT.

OTHER LOCATIONS IMPACTED BY THIS TORNADIC THUNDERSTORM INCLUDE

PAPINEAU AND BEAVERVILLE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Actually looks like it may have taken a slight left turn on the last scan or two.  Should pass south of me...the tornadic part at least.

Fun local chase today.  Had to work till 4, and then headed south towards Galesburg, and then Macomb.  Thought I might be a little late to the party, but it didn't tor until shortly after I got to it.  Caught the whole evolution from a laminar looking rain free base into a wall cloud, and then tornado on time lapse.  Hopefully looks pretty cool when I get it put together.

Here's a few shots.  

First shot is a little earlier on, about 45 mins before the tornado.  This was when I was a little north of Macomb looking southwest.

2nbf774.jpg

This is later on west of Bushnell IL as the above storm finally got it done. 
30sulax.jpg

etzmtf.jpg

Heard there were a few tornadoes in and near the QC on the way back.  Luckily it doesn't look like it was anything too severe.

Fun local chase today. Had to work till 4, and then headed south towards Galesburg, and then Macomb. Thought I might be a little late to the party, but it didn't tor until shortly after I got to it. Caught the whole evolution from a laminar looking rain free base into a wall cloud, and then tornado on time lapse. Hopefully looks pretty cool when I get it put together.

Here's a few shots.

First shot is a little earlier on, about 45 mins before the tornado. This was when I was a little north of Macomb looking southwest.

2nbf774.jpg

30sulax.jpg

etzmtf.jpg

Heard there were a few tornadoes in and near the QC on the way back. Luckily it doesn't look like it was anything too severe.

Nice shots

Fun local chase today. Had to work till 4, and then headed south towards Galesburg, and then Macomb. Thought I might be a little late to the party, but it didn't tor until shortly after I got to it. Caught the whole evolution from a laminar looking rain free base into a wall cloud, and then tornado on time lapse. Hopefully looks pretty cool when I get it put together.

Here's a few shots.

First shot is a little earlier on, about 45 mins before the tornado. This was when I was a little north of Macomb looking southwest.

2nbf774.jpg

30sulax.jpg

etzmtf.jpg

Heard there were a few tornadoes in and near the QC on the way back. Luckily it doesn't look like it was anything too severe.

Good stuff! Tried to make it there after leaving from Morris around 445 but we just missed to the east as it was morphing into a HPish conglomerate. Ended up with a decent wall cloud view from a distance from I think near Elmwood. We were pretty close to the tornadic sup west of PIA that produced in Hanna City and Trivoli but at that point with only radarscope and somewhat sketchy coverage and being after dark just tried to stay ahead and work our way back to Pekin and then to BMI to head back up I-55. Great light show on the way back. 707ac688d1ec2744206a62247a011523.jpg

Fun local chase today.  Had to work till 4, and then headed south towards Galesburg, and then Macomb.  Thought I might be a little late to the party, but it didn't tor until shortly after I got to it.  Caught the whole evolution from a laminar looking rain free base into a wall cloud, and then tornado on time lapse.  Hopefully looks pretty cool when I get it put together.

Here's a few shots.  

First shot is a little earlier on, about 45 mins before the tornado.  This was when I was a little north of Macomb looking southwest.

Heard there were a few tornadoes in and near the QC on the way back.  Luckily it doesn't look like it was anything too severe.

Great pics and catch.  

Archived