• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2016 Spring/Summer Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

1 minute ago, Powerball said:

Perhaps because we haven't had a ton of rain?

Granted, I'm hardly complaining about it.

Oh no I'm not complaining, just very odd. It's been extremely muggy and wet here. Heck, June alone had over 6" of rain, and July we have recorded a tad over 2.5". 

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/11/2016 at 4:41 PM, Geos said:

Going to be in Washington State for awhile starting next week trying to see if I can land a job in my field out there. Might be back in the Midwest by winter if things don't go well. Around here I haven't seen much entry level work  since graduation and it doesn't seem to be improving. You'll still see me around often enough.  :) 

Good Luck hopefully everything goes well!

Looks like it will be cooking in the Midwest in a day or twoarrow-10x10.png. Not going to miss that.

Thought you guys would like to see a few pics of thunderstorms that formed in southern Montana twoarrow-10x10.png days ago. With these storms, they don't have the high dew points to work with like they do further east and south. They're driven by the terrain and rising air.

20160716_172743.jpg

20160716_181326.jpg

45 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Just like Friday morning, had yet another solid squall line blow up in SW Ontario while getting zilch here.

Will the misery that is Severe Weather season 2016 ever end?

Jeez quit with the whining about this already.  Most of Ontario is in drought with some areas in serious/extreme  drought..............My son-in-law near Kingston Ont. has had less than 3 inches total rainfall since May 1, and he is a farmer so things could be a lot worse for you.     We heard lots of thunder about 5 am this morning and got just enough rain here to wet the ground, JUST like last Friday, so got screwed over again.  And we have a whopping total of about  5 inches total rainfall since May 1.   I enjoy a good storm too, but at this point we just need the rain - to hell with a t-storm.

One thing I've learned in the last week; extremely high dewpoints are like steroids for the lawn.  In my 39 years on this planet I have never seen grass grow like this.  Usually when you mow the lawn the grass is sort of "shocked" for a few days, and doesn't start to grow noticeably for a few days.  Just mowed Wed night, and by Thursday it was already looking like it hadn't been mowed in several days.  Today- it looks like the yard of a house that's been abandoned lol.  

23 hours ago, London snowsquall said:

Jeez quit with the whining about this already.  Most of Ontario is in drought with some areas in serious/extreme  drought..............My son-in-law near Kingston Ont. has had less than 3 inches total rainfall since May 1, and he is a farmer so things could be a lot worse for you.     We heard lots of thunder about 5 am this morning and got just enough rain here to wet the ground, JUST like last Friday, so got screwed over again.  And we have a whopping total of about  5 inches total rainfall since May 1.   I enjoy a good storm too, but at this point we just need the rain - to hell with a t-storm.

I'm sorry that you haven't seen as much rain as you would like, but to put things in perspective:

1. The past 3 Summers (and if you exclude 2012 but include 2011, past 4 Summers) have been very rainy, if not excessively so. Prior to last winter, we saw one of our snowiest winter on record, a big dog snowstorm and a winter with some of the longest lasting deep snowcover in history. Hell, Detroit saw its worst flood in history in the Summer of 2014. Yet, we finally see a long overdue dry spell this Summer and people start losing their minds as if we're turning into the Sahara desert. And honestly, I embrace the break. It was getting very tiresome having to struggle with cutting wet grass and deal with a ton of inversion-capped stratocumulus cloudiness on what should be warm / sunny Summer days because of all of the moisture that was getting trapped at the surface.  :rolleyes:

2. Your precipitation / moisture you desire will come eventually (sooner rather than later in fact). These dry spells are rarely long term, and even the few extreme dry spells we experienced in the past (I.E. 1988) all did come to an end. Even if the precipitation / moisture comes in the form of snow or stratiform rains, it's virtually guaranteed to happen. Meanwhile, Detroit has a very narrow 4-month window to see an type of organized convection or severe weather action (not including the other micro-climate impediments we must deal with, such as being surrounded by cold lake waters and downsloping). With us now heading into August, that window is at the point where it's coming to a close. And yet, to date, I've seen a grand total of one "strong" t'storm that produced the 3.5" of rain in 1.5-2 hours. I haven't seen any shelf clouds, no CTG lightning, no strong winds, no hail stones, no tower CU, nothing. And it's especially frustrating too when you see the same getting hit over and over again (Chicago area) and then other areas seeing more severe weather in 2 days (Boston) that you've seen the past 4 years. 

So again, I sympathize with your son-in-law, but frankly there was no need for the snarky response. I would send as much rain as I could to you if I were able to.

Besides, I love seeing organized convection and severe weather just as much as a lot of folks on this forum (I'm sure including yourself) love seeing snowstorms. Something tells me you'd be complaining just as much if you made it into March (which is the equivalent of where Detroit now sits in its narrow window to see organized convection / severe weather) without any decent snowstorms. :lol: 

Woke up in the middle of the night last night and happened to look over at the wall next to me and see something that didn't look right.  Turned on the light and it's a centipede...a huge one, no baby.  I tried to kill it but it got away and I have no idea where it went.  I hate those things.  :weep: 

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Woke up in the middle of the night last night and happened to look over at the wall next to me and see something that didn't look right.  Turned on the light and it's a centipede...a huge one, no baby.  I tried to kill it but it got away and I have no idea where it went.  I hate those things.  :weep: 

Did you burn the house down yet?

On 7/17/2016 at 2:54 PM, Chambana said:

Where have the mosquitoes been this year? Lol. Virtually non existent.

What is scary is how little the climate needs to change before the southern variety can survive here. I remember seeing a larger type of mosquito that I had never seen before in 2012. I haven't seen it since. I'm guessing it is the variety that carries zika. For all we know, it might pop up during any of the warmer years and I just didn't notice.

This was the type. 

Aedes-aegypti1.jpg

11 hours ago, osubrett2 said:

Who's complained more; SMEI'ers with lack of rain/severe storms or OH'ers with lack of snow? :hug:

OH posters in winter easily, there are way more. Also complaining about a lack of rain is a justified complaint as we don't want drought conditions. A drought is never good for the region.

On 7/27/2016 at 10:53 AM, weatherbo said:

checking my trail cam, caught these two messing around the house yesterday morning...noticing lots of fawns this summer.

726161.jpg

Nice pic, i have seen a ton of deer and fawns around my property as well as turkeys everywhere.  I have ferns line my property and they are about 6' tall already they were about half that size last year. 

Was perusing through some old weather channel vids on youtube, and came across this short vid of extreme arctic outbreak in Jan 1985.  Current wind chill in St. Louis on the map showed -69 lol.  Unfortunately we never get a look at areas further north, but can only imagine.  Obviously that's the old chart formula.  I miss that old chart.

Great video, cyclone. That arctic outbreak was somewhat like the January 2014 outbreak (driven by cold advection, not so much radiational cooling). 850s were colder in January 1985, though. All time record low of -27 in Chicago on 1-20-85, with a wind chill around -75 on old scale and -55 on the new scale. 

This has been a great summer.  Tempwise, it has been generally warm but not hot.  Cedar Rapids has only officially hit the low 90s six times all summer.  It has been exceptionally humid, hitting an 80 dewpoint on several days.  It's pretty awful to be out in that kind of air, but I find it much more interesting than extreme dry heat.  When we've needed a break from the extreme humidity, we've gotten one.  Stormwise, I haven't seen anything severe (only a small amount of pea hail, max wind of ~55 mph), but we've had regular decent storms all summer.  Rainfallwise, we've had good totals, but not too much.  Even our exceptionally wet period in June had no flooding and regular breaks.  We've been drier recently, but again, when we needed a nice soaker following a 2-week dry period we got exactly that.  Now we get a great, lower-humidity weekend and next week we should become more active again.  The lack of any memorable, extreme storm events is a minor negative, but overall it just feels like it has been a perfectly balanced summer.

Archived