Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Spring/Summer Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But hey, it's a dry heat. Dewpoint is 33.

Wonder what the warmest temp is at that time of the morning in Chicago. I wouldn't be surprised if it's less than 90.

I checked the hottest day I could think of July 14th, 1995. ORD and MDW were 89.

I checked the hottest day I could think of July 14th, 1995. ORD and MDW were 89.

Yeah I checked that day too.  I just went through the 100F degree days, figuring that those would have the most likely chance of having a 90F degree reading at 9:00, and I found 3 days in the period that hourly obs are available (back to the 1940s)...6/20/1953, 7/27/1955, and 7/6/2012.  All 3 were 90F at 9:00 am.  1953 and 1955 were at MDW (the official site at the time) and 2012 was at ORD. 

There could be other days of course, but it would take too long to search.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMDW/1953/6/20/DailyHistory.html

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMDW/1955/7/27/DailyHistory.html

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KORD/2012/7/6/DailyHistory.html

Yuma officially hit 120 this afternoon. Making it the 4th hottest day in history. Arizona is always a dry heat though, not that it makes it any better, but still.

I've seen dew points get into the low 60s the closer you get to the Gulf of California in the monsoon season. That's humid for them.

At this point all I can do is laugh watching Monday's potential evaporate locally. I think I have had 3 thunderstorms all year and 2 of them came in the winter. It just a bit old when you go into work and it's another day of high clouds. Honestly at this point I'd say this spring and summer have a potential to be worse than 2009's locally for action.

The winter thing is true, heh. 2009 wasn't bad in this part of Ontario, I remember June 25 which was one of the most memorable days of the year for several reasons, there was a good storm in April that knocked out power, and last but not least August 20 where the thunderstorm itself wasn't big but oh just a F2 tornado that's just a hop, skip and a jump away. There were others that would blow so far 2016 away if you didn't include those 3 examples mentioned.

Can't help but wonder what did we do to deserve this.

:lol: That's what I said last June and in 2014.

111/29 in Phoenix  :guitar:

That's some good stuff, it got up to 118ºF while the DP was 30ºF. 117F right now. The low was 85ºF last night!

Once you get above 95°, imo - hot is hot no matter what. I know if you've been in the water on a hot day with a low dew point you'll dry off pretty quick.

Been in like Oklahoma where the day was starting out in the high 80s, near 90° before.

"Dry heat" can actually be more dangerous than hot and humid conditions.  With "dry heat" your perspiration evaporates so quickly you don't get the same sense of how hot it really is relative to a hot and humid environment in which you would increasingly accumulate more and more sweat.  You can find yourself getting into serious trouble in a hurry in those desert environments if you don't recognize, and respect how amazingly fast you can become dehydrated/overheated.

I was not downplaying or disregarding the 115-120 degree readings with a oh it's a dry heat it's not that hot, just stating it's a dry heat, but as cyclone said that itself is more dangerous than moist "sticky" heat.

On the morning news they pointed a gun that reads temperatures on surfaces, and playground equipment in phoenix yesterday was 185 degrees, car door handles were 145. Pretty remarkable.

We had our honeymoon in Vegas back in 2009 and was in the 110-115 a couple days straight talk about brutal. I always laugh when I hear the ole "dry heat: comment. You know its hot when your shoes are melting to the pavement when walking, can't understand for the life of me how people can live in that climate.  But I guess people can/do say the same thing about the cold and snow. 

why would you honeymoon in vegas, much less during the summer?

I didn't realize choosing a location and date for our honeymoon required an explanation? Perhaps next time I will make sure to consult with your approval for any vacation plans/etc?

As a FYI Vegas was not our only location, we also booked a cruise on the west coast as well but wanted to stop in Vegas for the first part.

why would you honeymoon in vegas, much less during the summer?

I was thinking the same thing until I thought about it and remembered my wife and I kind of did the same thing being out there this time of year for our honeymoon. We spent 3 weeks driving around out west, never made it to Vegas but drove all around MT, WY, SD, ND, UT, AZ, NM, summer of 1996.

I didn't realize choosing a location and date for our honeymoon required an explanation? Perhaps next time I will make sure to consult with your approval for any vacation plans/etc?

As a FYI Vegas was not our only location, we also booked a cruise on the west coast as well but wanted to stop in Vegas for the first part.

Great bantering bro

Archived