Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2016 Spring/Summer Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I saw something today that I never expected to see around here: a rattlesnake. Unfortunately I didn't get a pic as I was out on my run and I usually don't take my phone with me. There was a small crowd that formed around it and we were speculating about what kind of snake it was. One guy said he thought it looked like a western diamondback but that would be almost impossible as they aren't naturally found in this area (unless it was somebody's pet that got loose lol). I did some research and there are like 38 types of snakes that are found in Indiana, but only 2 types of rattlesnakes. Of the 2 types of rattlesnakes, only 1 is naturally found in northern IN - the eastern massasauga. What I saw looked a bit like a massasauga but not exactly, though I didn't get a super close up look as I figured it would be smart to assume that any rattler could be trouble. Regardless of what type of rattlesnake it was, pretty cool.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massasauga

Is there some kind of major fire going on a couple counties south of Indianapolis?  There is what looks like a pretty large smoke plume showing up on radar

Wow, that looks big. Nothing on any news stations yet.

It looks just like a fire. If it was bugs, it would keep on moving away, not continuing to originate from a set point.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=IND&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

True, but it's a bit strange given that satellite sees so plume whatsoever.(Yes, the image is from 3:00, and the plume was on radar at that time)

EDIT:  Also has a very low CC, not sure what smoke CC would look like(could be low), but that is something to take into consideration.

Well, I saw something today that I never expected to see around here: a rattlesnake. Unfortunately I didn't get a pic as I was out on my run and I usually don't take my phone with me. There was a small crowd that formed around it and we were speculating about what kind of snake it was. One guy said he thought it looked like a western diamondback but that would be almost impossible as they aren't naturally found in this area (unless it was somebody's pet that got loose lol). I did some research and there are like 38 types of snakes that are found in Indiana, but only 2 types of rattlesnakes. Of the 2 types of rattlesnakes, only 1 is naturally found in northern IN - the eastern massasauga. What I saw looked a bit like a massasauga but not exactly, though I didn't get a super close up look as I figured it would be smart to assume that any rattler could be trouble. Regardless of what type of rattlesnake it was, pretty cool.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massasauga

When I first moved out to Howell, which is/was quite rural at the time, an elderly neighbor warned me about massasaugas in the woods. I was freaked out about them for a few years until I learned they were very rare.

There is a YouTube video of a guy in Ohio that can find them almost at will.

Thats coming from Camp Atterbury which is a Indiana National Guard camp, lets hope it isn't a fire...

It is definitely chaff from military blackhawk helicopter exercises per Indpls tv news stations.  Chaff is used to confuse incoming guided missiles to focus on the chaff and not airplanes.   There is going to be testing at Atterbury this summer.  But it sure looked perplexing on radar until I read what it was.

It is definitely chaff from military blackhawk helicopter exercises per Indpls tv news stations.  Chaff is used to confuse incoming guided missiles to focus on the chaff and not airplanes.   There is going to be testing at Atterbury this summer.  But it sure looked perplexing on radar until I read what it was.

From NWSChat:

(3:27 PM) nwszid-casey.crosbie: Hey guys, after discussion with the TMU here at ZID, expecting some additional increase in chaff returns this afternoon evening. Times of more releases are 4-7 pm and 9-11 pm. The current activity is residual from yesterday evening being lofted by thermals.

GLOV xeriscaping / plainscaping / zen garden troll squad rolls hard, rolls deep, rolls bee- & pollinator-friendly

It works much better out west, not so good in greener areas. Lawns reduce rodents, ticks, mosquitoes and other undesirable vermin. I always remember my father telling me the story about his home in Detroit that he rented out. The tenants never cared to mow and the yard was overgrown and had what he describes as "rat runs" and trails through the yard. He mowed the lawn and that ended the rat problem. They probably relocated to another unmowed yard.

I linked a home in another forum that has a no-water, no-mow yard and it's awesome. It's in Colorado in the semi-arid foothills.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3767770-60-Debra-Ann-Rd-Golden-CO-80403

It works much better out west, not so good in greener areas. Lawns reduce rodents, ticks, mosquitoes and other undesirable vermin. I always remember my father telling me the story about his home in Detroit that he rented out. The tenants never cared to mow and the yard was overgrown and had what he describes as "rat runs" and trails through the yard. He mowed the lawn and that ended the rat problem. They probably relocated to another unmowed yard.

I linked a home in another forum that has a no-water, no-mow yard and it's awesome. It's in Colorado in the semi-arid foothills.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3767770-60-Debra-Ann-Rd-Golden-CO-80403

I mean for the stereotypical lawn-having homeowner the question of "what am I going to do with my standard issue slightly less than a quarter acre of open ground around my house" is variously in tension with your responsibilities to your family & the postman & your neighbors & the watershed & local ordinances regardless of where you live. say on a scale ranging from not running an illicit turd-caked piss lake of a puppy mill that spits out litter after litter of insane, inbred, ceaselessly howling, doomed golden retrievers (1) to compulsory & religious adherence to the byzantine dictates of an HOA lawnscaping compact written by Dow AgroChemical in conjunction with necromantic cultists who have imprisoned the ghost of jules hardouin-mansart, master of the gardens at versailles (10)

Managing human and pet exposure to ticks, vermin, &c is on the lower end of that scale in difficulty and doesn't require an english turfgrass lawn as your choice of artificial, managed, urban or periurban domestic landscape.

But it might be a good choice if you don't live in the desert and your goal is to have someplace for your kids & their friends to play pickup soccer

Some of these quotes are from Saturday's severe bust:

Checking everything again this morning, it's not happening locally.

Moving on.

When I felt the air first thing that morning it was coolish, I knew it was over. Some heavy overcast skies until noon. What do we move on to exactly though?

I've never been this bored with the weather here as I have in the last two years. If this is the new normal, my interest will likely wane.

Yep, my attention for all this BS can only go on so long. 2006-2009 was nothing to fantasize about, however at least I had thunderstorms. At least there were some good summer heat events and high tornado counts. Ike, Dean, and Felix were cool.

https://twitter.com/USTornadoes/status/741774638242516994

So much for Nino climo. Looking at another record low count for tornadoes here.

:lol: Its just a joke at this point. So tepid heatwaves, Atlantic hurricanes haven't been cool in eons, low tornado counts, what's left? I would have never dreamed that a HIGH risk would have been absent this long  :lol: . After 2014 the dues were paid and what comes after...more dues.

Phoenix forecasted to be near 120° on Sun/Mon. That is only a couple degrees shy of their all-time record high.

I wish I could just buy a plane ticket and go straight to southern Arizona in time for that. It would be like that visit to Florida I had when I caught some record high temperatures  ;) .

Over the past 10 days the heating would come on in the mornings up til Tuesday here, the winds of winter howled through the neighborhood a few times, so yeah. As the natural heat is approaching with today's great weather my negative Nelly tendencies are already lifting lol. This quasi-heatwave is getting going so hopefully I can forget how dumb all this is  :sun: .

Some of these quotes are from Saturday's severe bust:

When I felt the air first thing that morning it was coolish, I knew it was over. Some heavy overcast skies until noon. What do we move on to exactly though?

Yep, my attention for all this BS can only go on so long. 2006-2009 was nothing to fantasize about, however at least I had thunderstorms. At least there were some good summer heat events and high tornado counts. Ike, Dean, and Felix were cool.

:lol: Its just a joke at this point. So tepid heatwaves, Atlantic hurricanes haven't been cool in eons, low tornado counts, what's left? I would have never dreamed that a HIGH risk would have been absent this long  :lol: . After 2014 the dues were paid and what comes after...more dues.

I wish I could just buy a plane ticket and go straight to southern Arizona in time for that. It would be like that visit to Florida I had when I caught some record high temperatures  ;) .

Over the past 10 days the heating would come on in the mornings up til Tuesday here, the winds of winter howled through the neighborhood a few times, so yeah. As the natural heat is approaching with today's great weather my negative Nelly tendencies are already lifting lol. This quasi-heatwave is getting going so hopefully I can forget how dumb all this is  :sun: .

I completely empathize with your post.

Yeah, with the exception of Monday, things are looking pretty grim in terms of severe weather prospects (despite now being near the climatological peak for severe weather). And then we're going right back into the same crap pattern we've been dealing with for the past 3 Summers, as far as the well-below average temps, NW flow and eastern trough / cutoff low. 

A someone else said in another thread, we will probably be waiting until late July / August (which in the past were typically drier times of the year) yet again before we begin to see any severe weather "action" in our area. 

At this point all I can do is laugh watching Monday's potential evaporate locally. I think I have had 3 thunderstorms all year and 2 of them came in the winter. It just a bit old when you go into work and it's another day of high clouds. Honestly at this point I'd say this spring and summer have a potential to be worse than 2009's locally for action.

At this point all I can do is laugh watching Monday's potential evaporate locally. I think I have had 3 thunderstorms all year and 2 of them came in the winter. It just a bit old when you go into work and it's another day of high clouds. Honestly at this point I'd say this spring and summer have a potential to be worse than 2009's locally for action.

I'm just so tired of seeing storms fire up here only to hand them off to Canada or Ohio.

Murphy's law in full effect locally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't help but wonder what did we do to deserve this.

I'm still going to hold off another month before ranting. In terms of days with sunshine, legth of dry periods and warm weather , thus Summer is by far better than the last 3. Just need some t'storms (and I think I've only had 3 that were extremely weak sauce as well since Winter?).

Archived