• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Which of the last three winters was your favorite?

PrinceFrederickWx

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the last three winters was your favorite?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Different people live in different areas and have different weather preferences. Simple as that... nothing "insane" about it.

Exactly. Funny how some here seem to act shocked (even annoyed) when others have different ideas of what makes a good winter. Personally I prefer more persistent cold, with multiple snow events, and snow that stays around more than a day or 2. But thats just me.

How is this even a poll?

You've got a wall-to-wall good winter in 13-14 being compared to a one that only had 1 good month (14-15) and another with only 1 good weekend (15-16). This is insane.

Again, we know what you think. It's nice to read the reasons why people chose this season (since I'm alone in choosing 14/15). If you're going to be so in your backyard, then I should point out that 1/15 was a fine winter month in my back yard with near normal snowfall, with the clipper snow staying on the ground for a nice stretch. And IMBY, December 2013 is not fondly remembered, being most notable for the busted forecast for 12/10/13.

Man, the western VA people are so full of hate with this winter... you'd think they just had an 11/12 redux! I never thought I'd see so much butthurt in a winter with a HECS.

And again, some areas of this forum did much, much better in 15/16 than 13/14. I think lower eastern shore probably did best in 14/15 (but I'm not sure on that). I figured 13/14 would win but I am a little surprised that its been such a blowout victory.

I had more snow in 13-14, even though the big Feb storm sucked here. But I probably enjoyed the stretch in Feb into March of last winter more than any part of the previous one, due to the persistent cold and snow on the ground.

Hardly "one good month".....although I was thinking I got close to 40". Guess not.

11-26-2014 4.5"

01-06-2015 2.25"

01-21-2015 1"

01-24-2015 0.5"

01-26-2015 3.5"

02-14-2015 0.25"

02-16-2015 3.25"

02-18-2015 0.75"

02-21-2015 5.0"

02-26-2015 0.75"

03-05-2015 8.75"

03-20-2015 2.75"

2014-2015 33.25"

Hardly "one good month".....although I was thinking I got close to 40". Guess not.

Well, compared to this winter 14-15 seemed like wall-to-wall.  However, nearly 70% of my snow fell between 2/14 and 3/5, Dec. was a complete shut-out, and we had an awful stretch of failure in January after the 1/6 clipper.  I would not call 4" in Jan. a good month (although it beat what I got all combined this year minus the blizzard).

11-26-14:      3.75"  (heavy wet snow, temps above freezing, 7AM - 3 PM)

1-6-15:          3.5"   (early AM clipper powder, temps in low 20s)

1-21-15:          .5"   (absolute clipper failure.  one of the worst events of my lifetime.  ground completely bare by late afternoon.)

1-24-15:          T     (WSW for 4-7".  Lots of rain.  JOKE)

1-26/27-15:    2.0"  (33F slop, grass only.  WSW for 6-8".  Miller B JOKE.  Surprise evening/night light snows saved event.)

2-14-15:         .2"    (5 minute squall from arctic front)

2-16-15:       3.0"    (light snow, low teens, WSW for 6-10")

2-18-15          T      (Predictable FROPA fail)

2-21-15         9.0"   (Great event, from a cutter no less.  At one point I measured .75" in a 10-minute period, 2.5" in 1-hour)

2-26-15         1.5"   (Early AM event from southern coastal.  Nice snow-on-snow event, nice 10-day stretch of snow cover and cold)

3-5-15           7.0"   (rain to snow at dawn.  falling temps into low 20s, snow to 4 PM.  great cold, great storm).

3-20-15         0.25"  (WWA for 3-5" failure.  Heavy rain 3:30 AM over to period of early AM acc. slush on grass only, then no rates)

(We end the winter the way we started it: with a THUD)

Total:            30.75"  

Well, compared to this winter 14-15 seemed like wall-to-wall. However, nearly 70% of my snow fell between 2/14 and 3/5, Dec. was a complete shut-out, and we had an awful stretch of failure in January after the 1/6 clipper. I would not call 4" in Jan. a good month (although it beat what I got all combined this year minus the blizzard).

11-26-14: 3.75" (heavy wet snow, temps above freezing, 7AM - 3 PM)

1-6-15: 3.5" (early AM clipper powder, temps in low 20s)

1-21-15: .5" (absolute clipper failure. one of the worst events of my lifetime. ground completely bare by late afternoon.)

1-24-15: T (WSW for 4-7". Lots of rain. JOKE)

1-26/27-15: 2.0" (33F slop, grass only. WSW for 6-8". Miller B JOKE. Surprise evening/night light snows saved event.)

2-14-15: .2" (5 minute squall from arctic front)

2-16-15: 3.0" (light snow, low teens, WSW for 6-10")

2-18-15 T (Predictable FROPA fail)

2-21-15 9.0" (Great event, from a cutter no less. At one point I measured .75" in a 10-minute period, 2.5" in 1-hour)

2-26-15 1.5" (Early AM event from southern coastal. Nice snow-on-snow event, nice 10-day stretch of snow cover and cold)

3-5-15 7.0" (rain to snow at dawn. falling temps into low 20s, snow to 4 PM. great cold, great storm).

3-20-15 0.25" (WWA for 3-5" failure. Heavy rain 3:30 AM over to period of early AM acc. slush on grass only, then no rates)

(We end the winter the way we started it: with a THUD)

Total: 30.75"

Look at the difference in our 3-20 obs. Amazing

Man, the western VA people are so full of hate with this winter... you'd think they just had an 11/12 redux! I never thought I'd see so much butthurt in a winter with a HECS.

And again, some areas of this forum did much, much better in 15/16 than 13/14. I think lower eastern shore probably did best in 14/15 (but I'm not sure on that). I figured 13/14 would win but I am a little surprised that its been such a blowout victory.

Minus 30 hours in Jan., we did.

EastCoast is right.  Minus 36 hours and this winter was worse than 11/12.  

I'll tell you how much that HECS means to me..................I hope next winter we don't see a snow greater than 6".

I just want 10 of them.....LOL.  And I don't want the temp to reach freezing from Thanksgiving to March 1.  Can you dial that up for me?

EastCoast is right.  Minus 36 hours and this winter was worse than 11/12.  

I'll tell you how much that HECS means to me..................I hope next winter we don't see a snow greater than 6".

I just want 10 of them.....LOL.  And I don't want the temp to reach freezing from Thanksgiving to March 1.  Can you dial that up for me?

Your whining about this winter is getting really annoying.

You'd probably be happier living in Wisconsin or Michigan... you'll get plenty of cold and plenty of nickel and diming.

Your whining about this winter is getting really annoying.

You'd probably be happier living in Wisconsin or Michigan... you'll get plenty of cold and plenty of nickel and diming.

I wasn't whining. I was commenting on a prior post.

I'll tell you what is annoying though. You thinking that sonehow you are the moral compass of this board. Now you're bringing that same **** from PR over here. Save your time. It may come as a surprise to you, but I don't really care what you think of what I post.

But thanks for the laugh. You calling someone annoying....good one.

I wasn't whining. I was commenting on a prior post.

I'll tell you what is annoying though. You thinking that sonehow you are the moral compass of this board. Now you're bringing that same **** from PR over here. Save your time. It may come as a surprise to you, but I don't really care what you think of what I post.

But thanks for the laugh. You calling someone annoying....good one.

If you don't like my opinions, then so be it. Enjoy the warmth.

I like it. I think its interesting and nice to see what people think. A few odd posts in here, but certainly not a disaster.

Seemingly if I have an opinion of the winter that isn't a glowing coronation then I'm whining. It's cool. I'll just not post so as to not disrupt the thread. I don't want to take the fun out of it for others. I didn't think I was doing that, but, whatever.

Seemingly if I have an opinion of the winter that isn't a glowing coronation then I'm whining. It's cool. I'll just not post so as to not disrupt the thread. I don't want to take the fun out of it for others. I didn't think I was doing that, but, whatever.

Look at the vote-- it's not even close. There aren't many people issuing "glowing coronations" of this winter in most threads.

It's just that down in the lower elevations, I've lived through so many 3 or 4 accumulating event warm winters that totaled like 11". There's no way I personally could ever complain about a season that was way above normal, covered the grass with four different events, and had my all-time highest total storm.

I know you didn't enjoy the season, but it just seemed almost compulsory with the reminders throughout multiple threads that this season was bad. And again, it wasn't like there was this chorus of people praising the winter overall. If anything, you are definitely in the majority of posters who found the winter frustrating.

I was mostly kidding (hence the "lol" at the end of the post). Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I can't say I completely understand it but its cool.

But I was thinking about the 1/21/14 event the other day- it was the first WSW event me (and many others) had in three years at the time... I hope were not saying that again in 2019. People who hate this winter may need to think about how awful things can actually get here.

Look at the vote-- it's not even close. There aren't many people issuing "glowing coronations" of this winter in most threads.

It's just that down in the lower elevations, I've lived through so many 3 or 4 accumulating event warm winters that totaled like 11". There's no way I personally could ever complain about a season that was way above normal, covered the grass with four different events, and had my all-time highest total storm.

I know you didn't enjoy the season, but it just seemed almost compulsory with the reminders throughout multiple threads that this season was bad. And again, it wasn't like there was this chorus of people praising the winter overall. If anything, you are definitely in the majority of posters who found the winter frustrating.

Yep, you summed up my thoughts perfectly.

I was mostly kidding (hence the "lol" at the end of the post). Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I can't say I completely understand it but its cool.

But I was thinking about the 1/21/14 event the other day- it was the first WSW event me (and many others) had in three years at the time... I hope were not saying that again in 2019. People who hate this winter may need to think about how awful things can actually get here.

Exactly... if next year is a moderate or strong Nina, then we could be in for several bad years, since Ninas tend to be multiyear and the winter after a Nina tends to suck for some reason. So that's 3 potential bad years. It would make this winter look glorious, but hopefully whatever happens won't rival 2011-12 in its awfulness.

lol you can have your opinion...I think we mostly agree actually, especially wrt the preference for cold and more frequent, smaller snow events. Thus why I prefer 13-14, and 14-15 over this winter. But I dont hate on this winter, even though it was too warm for my liking, because I did manage above normal snowfall(multiple events here).

The only post of yours in this thread I thought was a bit out there, was the reply to Fozz making reference to PR and "moral compass" .  PR should never be mentioned in a weather thread, and certainly nothing suggestive of any views/positions someone has based on posts made there. I think you were one of the most adamant about keeping politics out of the banter thread.

14/15 for me. Loved the record cold, thick ice, and 1 month of continuous snowcover. Plus I had 2 events that met or exceeded warning criteria.

14-15 was a close second for me because of the prolonged cold period, snow cover, and the ice on the bay. Took this shot from Terrapin Park just over a year ago(March 7). Thats the view across the bay from the eastern shore. Bay bridge is off to the left just outside of the shot. It was zero that morning and around 20 when I took that photo. What a difference a year makes.

post-1005-0-56819000-1457563327_thumb.jp

Probably 13-14, with last winter a close second. I want more persistent cold in winter, with snow that sicks around, so I can be outside and enjoy it. Loved the cold hiking with snow on the ground the previous 2 winters, and seeing the bay frozen over and snow covered. Watching snow come down might be all there is for those who sit inside and look out a window, but I like to be outside. This winter had no sustained arctic air, but it really wasn't expected with the strong Nino. The blizzard was awesome to track, and I enjoyed seeing a bigger event, which the last 2 winters lacked(biggest imby was 7.5" I think). It was tainted a bit for me though by the dry slot here, and the immediate warmth that followed. At least there was snow(slush) cover for a solid week. I have probably had more snow in Feb and March this winter than many, roughly 10", but none of that was around 24 hours later, so the fun was in watching it come down. Simply put, this winter has not felt much like winter, but I wont complain because the snowfall has been above average and it would have really sucked without that.

Me as well.  13-14, followed by 14-15.  Although, this year has been great up on Parr's Ridge as well with the whopper and a stretch of 31 straight days of snowcover.  How often do you see that in a super nino?  3 great winters in a row, all for different reasons.

I'd agree with several in here who said 2014-15 is a close second to 2013-14.  In many ways it was the approximately 4 week period from just after the first week of February through the first week of March that made that winter.  Wall-to-wall cold and a few good events in that time frame.  Plus the early part of January with the clipper event.  The cold in February was incredible...day after day...with a -8 or so departure for the month.  We had a similar level of cold in 2007, and I never thought I'd see that again, yet Feb. 2015 topped even that year.

This past winter ('15-16) I'd have to put just behind last year but well behind '13-14.  The HECS is a large part of the reason I cannot say it was a bad one, plus as I said before we did have a couple of legitimate cold periods.  We truly were the recipients of the best luck this year in the midst of an otherwise mostly forgettable and frustrating season.  Nobody else in the east had even close to a comparable storm like the January blizzard, or met/exceeded their normal snowfall, and I think a lot of people forget that.  I think even taking out the blizzard, this was still at least a little better than 2011-12 (which itself was just awful).

I've been in the area since summer 2001.  Overall, my winter rankings in that time (subjective, off the top of my head) would be...

Best:

2009-10

2002-03

2013-14

2014-15

2015-16 (mostly because of the January blizzard)

(Honorable mention:  2006-07, great 2nd half, very cold Feb., but just missed big snows for the Valentine's Day storm)

Worst:

2011-12

2001-02

2012-13

2007-08 (hard to say if this should be worse than 2012-13)

2010-11 (missed Boxing Day, other than Commutageddon, was pretty meh)

(Dishonorable mention:  2005-06, despite the Feb. '06 storm, it was warm and nothing else but that one event really)

I think amongst people who aren't weather geeks (like us), this will be remembered as the big winter of the last three. I've found most people just remember the "big blizzards" and nothing else. The average person isn't going to remember all the events from 13/14 & 14/15. Try asking someone if they remember the -10 departures and 3 weeks of snowcover with several moderate events in 14/15 and they'll look at you like you sprouted two heads hahahaha

Archived