Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Early/Mid December 2016

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to enjoy 1 last week of winter storm tracking for our region.

The front tonight could be interesting with the high winds & maybe some snow showers even for the LSV.

The Monday system looks to be some snow for the northern tier of PA into NY state & New England.

Most of my attention has turned to the potential for an east coast storm next Friday. Most of the models have been showing a storm for a few days now.

Of course, track, intensity, & timing will tell the final story, but maybe the mountains & interior of CTP can get some late season snow ?

The Monday system looks to be some snow for the northern tier of PA into NY state & New England.

And guess who has to go up through Binghamton and on to Albany Monday morning?

Outside of that, my lawn is nice and green and I've mowed it twice already, my hyacinths are just now flowering, and the tulips are on the cusp of flowering. This cold sucks as even covering them may not help if lows get into the teens. They may be toast by mid-week. :( 

Per the PA511 camera at Clarks Summit on I-81 north of Scranton it looks like heavy snow at the moment with the grassy areas getting white. As for here, despite what you guys saw out in Harrisburg, etc, we had barely a light breeze with the FROPA here in Tamaqua proper, and even now, there is virtually no wind to speak of outside...

I'm not good at estimating wind at all, and am usually underwhelmed when others talk about it...but my goodness was the wind ever scary here around daybreak. It reminded me of the night Sandy passed overhead. 

And just like Sandy, while I can hear it roaring up on the hills surrounding my part of town, we have nothing more than a light breeze here in my backyard. It's been like that most of the morning since I woke at 5:00am. I kid you not.

I sit at the far north end of a "v shaped" valley, and the sheltering from the hills to my north can be quite dramatic at times. Today is one of those times.

And just like Sandy, while I can hear it roaring up on the hills surrounding my part of town, we have nothing more than a light breeze here in my backyard. It's been like that most of the morning since I woke at 5:00am. I kid you not.

I sit at the far north end of a "v shaped" valley, and the sheltering from the hills to my north can be quite dramatic at times. Today is one of those timeFro

From what you describe I'd think the effect would be just the opposite. Being in the valley like that I would have thought that it would be a wind tunnel blowing through there...though for as often as you've missed out on big snows the past decade, I wouldn't be too upset missing out on potentially damaging wind gusts. I don't want these winds. Someone else can gladly have them. 

Sometime soon you have to figure you'll get something exciting in terms of weather...right?  :)

From what you describe I'd think the effect would be just the opposite. Being in the valley like that I would have thought that it would be a wind tunnel blowing through there...though for as often as you've missed out on big snows the past decade, I wouldn't be too upset missing out on potentially damaging wind gusts. I don't want these winds. Someone else can gladly have them. 

Sometime soon you have to figure you'll get something exciting in terms of weather...right?  :)

You would think I would...lol

As for the wind tunnel effect, if I were a few miles south I could see it, but the "mountains" I speak of are no more than a quarter mile from my house, so the winds are coming across the "plateau" north of me, but not getting enough time to mix down to my backyard elevation.

You would think I would...lol

As for the wind tunnel effect, if I were a few miles south I could see it, but the "mountains" I speak of are no more than a quarter mile from my house, so the winds are coming across the "plateau" north of me, but not getting enough time to mix down to my backyard elevation.

Okay, that makes sense. Well the wind has thankfully died down here a good bit now. 

Had about a half inch or so of snow last night, which probably about equaled my snow total for the month of March haha. Winds ended up not being an issue here last night/this morning.. certainly not of the high wind warning variety and rarely advisory level for that matter. Seemed the core of highest winds ran the southern tier and lower Sus Valley. With that said.. it was still a biting cold morning.

Coulda used this storm regime like a month or so ago.. storm track with these clippers just running a bit too high to run swaths across PA. It's hard to get that type of stuff running south of PA this time of the year. Interior NY state finally seeing a bit of action after the whole winter. 

Archived