SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Early/Mid December 2016

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, djr5001 said:

It's only 9 am and the 29th is already the wettest day of the month here in Harrisburg - and only a few hundredths of an inch from reaching top 5 over the last 3 months really shows how bad we need this!!

It has been incredibly dry. 2 recent close calls up on Bella Vista and Tower roads with wild fires. I was a little nervous yesterday when the Hunters took the woods. So yeah, i'll take this dumping were getting. 

58 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

It has been incredibly dry. 2 recent close calls up on Bella Vista and Tower roads with wild fires. I was a little nervous yesterday when the Hunters took the woods. So yeah, i'll take this dumping were getting. 

Yea and after seeing what was happening in Gatlinburg, Tennessee last night I would hate to see something like that anywhere around here

The last few runs of the EPS have been advertising a cold pattern developing in the east beginning next week & continuing until the end of the run.

The 12z run of the EPS today was the best run so far this late fall/early winter season. Through day 15, it showed 3-5 inches of snow in the LSV & 6-8 inches near the I-80 & I-99 regions. Around 35 of the 51 EPS members had more than 2 inches of snow across all of Central PA. Several of the individual members produced some nice hits of 6 -10 inches. Hopefully we can get the winter party started about 6 weeks earlier than last year!

6 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The last few runs of the EPS have been advertising a cold pattern developing in the east beginning next week & continuing until the end of the run.

The 12z run of the EPS today was the best run so far this late fall/early winter season. Through day 15, it showed 3-5 inches of snow in the LSV & 6-8 inches near the I-80 & I-99 regions. Around 35 of the 51 EPS members had more than 2 inches of snow across all of Central PA. Several of the individual members produced some nice hits of 6 -10 inches. Hopefully we can get the winter party started about 6 weeks earlier than last year!

Lets hope so...

22 hours ago, sauss06 said:

I had 1.15" over here in Tamaqua yesterday. Looking at the incoming slug of precipitation, I have no doubt we'll come close to, or equal, that amount today as well.

18 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

We are def starting to see some of the more truly cold air being introduced to our side of the pole in the computer models as we get into next week, which was something that was lacking most of the month with the eastern European and specifically northern Asian continents (Siberia) seeing the brunt of it. With that said, we appear to remain quite vulnerable to cutters through at least next week as the PNA drops significantly negative and focuses a lot of the initial cold air dump into the western half of the US. The corresponding eastern ridging that gets built will likely send one or two systems to the lakes next week with the latter currently being depicted on both the GFS/Euro as an especially strong one that finally brings the cold air to the east. We shall see if that gives us a reset pattern that we need to start seeing consistent winter weather. In the meantime, next week looks more like a transitional week where we might not see the cold come in until later in the week..although we don't look overly warm (maybe somewhat above average).  It seems like we have been in a perpetual eastern ridge this fall.. and it may be one of those things that takes some time to completely transition from. 

Despite my aforementioned post last night about us being vulnerable to cutters next week, there's an interesting setup starting to show up on the model suite for the first progged system next week near the Tuesday-Tuesday night timeframe. This southern stream system is progged to lift a primary up some of the Mississippi into the Ohio Valley to Michigan but the GFS,Euro, and Canadian have all been exhibiting secondary development off the Carolina/VA coast. The result is a slug of precipitation lifting up into PA where the secondary low would appear to be strong enough while there's just barely enough of a high up north to maintain a marginal airmass for a potential snowfall. This is especially evident on the 12z European, where it sends enough QPF into the central counties for a high end advisory type snowfall. I also saw it on last night's run, where there was just enough of a secondary influence to hold in marginal snow temps and thicknesses. The Canadian breaks up the precip between the two lows making for a much lighter affair. The GFS (using 18z) has more emphasis on the primary and is a bit stronger overall, but still appears to possibly start the event as snow in the central counties (esp N Central). Something to keep an eye on. This is ahead of the second system that late next week will likely usher in much more significant cold air with a very strong frontal passage... and this is something models have been in pretty good agreement with. 

I feel like I'm talking to myself in here haha. 

The European continues to be the most supportive with regards to Tuesday evening potentially being our first widespread accumulating snow of the season in the central counties. The secondary coastal development and the somewhat weak southerly flow aloft from the weakening primary holds in an airmass that in the Euro's case is just enough down the column to support snow, despite 1000-500 thicknesses that are somewhat above the traditional benchmark values (between 540-546). The result is a 2-6" wet snowfall across a pretty sizable part of PA (including Harrisburg), with the more elevated JST/AOO/UNV/Clearfield/Bradford region seeing the axis of heaviest snowfall. 

The GFS continues to be just a bit warmer, it doesn't collapse the 546 line (which I'm using as more of a benchmark in this particular setup) below PA like the Euro does. It instead keeps it near the PA-NY border but it still manages to target the north central with 1-3". The Canadian has been a bit further southeast with the secondary low development, and thus has been keeping precip more in southern PA but it shows the interior central with snow. I would say for right now the best compromise would be to suggest that the north central counties are most likely to see accumulating snow from this setup, with perhaps some potential down the I-99 and Rt 219 corridors. But the Euro has been pretty consistent on the more widespread snowfall, so certainly not to be overlooked. I've noticed that CTP has been thinking mainly rain with this. 

108hr Canadian

I_nw_EST_2016120212_108.png

I'm in full out lurk mode too....keep postin buddy.  Just waiting to get the all clear. :)

Looks like stepping down w mid Dec starting to sound wintryish.  Long range sounds like a crap shoot at best.  What would be your guess as we head into met winter?  Seeing conflicting signals w/ NAO EPO PNA.  NAO trending neg is a nice change, but that pig SE ridge seems like its going nowhere fast and oozes cutter until it takes hold (or if it does).  Cansips has me heading back to the cave, but the Euro weeklies sound decent, so I guess we run w/ the King....until something better shows up for me to do my weenie worship dance to.

Nut

1.) MAG- please keep posting. I look forward to reading them each day, even if I don't have the chance to post.

2.) The next 2 weeks look cold, & those of us that have not seen more than a T of snow, should get on the board. 

3.) The EPS & GEFS are in good agreement for the next 15 days. Both ensemble models show 4-6 inches of snow from south to north in the LSV. The I-99 & I-80 region get around 8-10 inches of snow on both of these models.

4.) I have a feeling that this forum will be very busy over the next 2 weeks ! Let's do this !

Archived