SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Early/Mid December 2016

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this humidity sucks...

I spent the last 2 weeks in Phoenix, AZ because my mom got sick (pneumonia and then full cardiac arrest and a second heart attack right afterward). I had to come back home to keep my job, but am probably going to take a leave of absence and go back out to care for her and help get her back as close to normal health as possible.

Anyway, after spending 2 weeks in the dry desert, this weather is truly stifling. It's not hard to realize that even if my mom would have agreed to move back east, this stuff wouldn't be good for her.

Well this humidity sucks...

I spent the last 2 weeks in Phoenix, AZ because my mom got sick (pneumonia and then full cardiac arrest and a second heart attack right afterward). I had to come back home to keep my job, but am probably going to take a leave of absence and go back out to care for her and help get her back as close to normal health as possible.

Anyway, after spending 2 weeks in the dry desert, this weather is truly stifling. It's not hard to realize that even if my mom would have agreed to move back east, this stuff wouldn't be good for her.

Yes, best wishes for you during this time. I lost my dad last year and the whole ordeal just wasn't fun. 

Thanks canderson and maytown. I'm so worried about her. She's a widow (my dad passed in 2009) and lives alone. There are neighbors that can help "keep an eye on her", but it's not the same as true family. Every time the phone rings since I'm back here my heart ends up in my throat.

I feel that it's my place to go out and care for my mother, but my wife refuses to relocate, and is even pretty much against me taking a leave of absence from work, going out there, and getting a temporary job for a period of time. I know what I should do, but it isn't easy and I'm caught between a rock and hard place right now...

Looks like some interesting potential for severe weather in the southern portion of the sub forum. Both the 06z NAM and GFS from this morning show decently curved hodographs Sunday afternoon with 150-250 m2 s-2 storm-relative helicity between 0-3 km. There will also be a sufficient amount of CAPE, though mostly due to relatively high surface moisture.

The flow above the boundary layer is generally advecting air from the Gulf region, so there doesn't look to be a significant EML/especially cold or dry air aloft. Therefore, convection may initiate during the late morning before the instability and shear are maximized. The lack of dry air aloft may also reduce the strength of downdrafts, inhibiting to some degree any potential tornadogenesis.

Still, if isolated convection does initiate later Sunday afternoon, supercells would be favored to develop in these conditions. The SPC seems bullish on this prospect:

...MID ATLANTIC REGION...
   AMPLE MOISTURE AND DAYTIME HEATING WILL COUNTERACT RELATIVELY WARM
   TEMPERATURES ALOFT AND YIELD AROUND ON THE ORDER OF 1500 J/KG MUCAPE
   ACROSS THE WARM SECTOR BY MID AFTERNOON. WIND SHEAR PROFILES ARE
   EXPECTED TO STRENGTHEN RAPIDLY DURING THE AFTERNOON AS THE SHORTWAVE
   TROUGH APPROACHES. MEAN FLOW OF 40-50 KT IN THE 850-500 LAYER WITH
   INCREASING SPEED SHEAR IN THE UPPER LEVELS WILL RESULT IN LONG
   HODOGRAPHS FAVORABLE FOR LONG-LIVED SEVERE STORMS INCLUDING A FEW
   SUPERCELLS. GRADUALLY VEERING 850 MB FLOW AND THE ABSENCE OF A
   SURGING COLD FRONT SUGGEST SUPERCELLS AS THE DOMINANT STORM MODE
   DURING THE DAY...WITH PERHAPS MERGING OF CELLS LATER IN THE EVENING
   AS STORMS EXIT THE COAST. HAIL...DAMAGING WINDS AND A FEW TORNADOES
   WILL BE POSSIBLE.

Crazy weather here yesterday evening.

5" of rain in 90 mins and downtown clearfield was flooded.

Man thats crazy.  Reminds me of the heavy rains Hershey had a few years back.  Hope all is ok up there.  I'll take a good T Storm any day, but not looking forward to tonadic potential Sunday.  

Hope everyone's having a great early summer.

Nut

Archived