SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Early/Mid December 2016

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, canderson said:

Yeah, especially with the new gig even harder to plan around I'd bet. Hope it works out well for you, I imagine those super short routes weren't viable economically!

They weren't. I was paid by the Mile and only getting 1200 to 1400 miles per week. Once me and my dispatcher get dialed in, I hope to get 2200 or more per week with the new company. Time will tell...

15 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

It's that magic time of the year that Voyager and I play the heatmizer villains. In all honesty, hope you snow lovers have a great year and a happy and safe holiday season.

Deep................................................way deep down you're just like us and love snow. :)

May have to turn all my heat sources on now, looks kinda chilly in the upcoming days. 

1-3 inches seems like a pretty safe bet for State College with the most (4-7 inches) falling in the North Central region, NEPA, and interior SNY. Unfortunately there's still a clear CPA icing signature on the latest NAM and GFS for early Monday morning, so that could cause problems for the Monday morning commute (and 8 am finals),

1 hour ago, skiier04 said:

Cautiously optimistic we can pull our first inch out of this one.... and maybe a class delay on Monday B)

Haha, at Penn State? Forget about it :lol:

Winter Weather Advisory now issued by CTP!

It includes everyone except Adams, York & Lancaster. The advisory for the rest of CTP is for 1-3 inches of snow south of I-80 & for 3-6 inches north of I-80. It also mentions a changeover to freezing rain overnight Sunday into Monday am.

PS- is anyone else looking at the potential winter storm for next weekend? 

The advisory starts earlier in the day, but I think the bulk of whatever we get will be afternoon through overnight Sunday.

The most recent RGEM, which is a pretty good short term model, showed around 4 inches in the Harrisburg area.

The radar out in IN & IL already looks pretty good, & it looks to be moving right towards central PA.

6 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The advisory starts earlier in the day, but I think the bulk of whatever we get will be afternoon through overnight Sunday.

The most recent RGEM, which is a pretty good short term model, showed around 4 inches in the Harrisburg area.

The radar out in IN & IL already looks pretty good, & it looks to be moving right towards central PA.

It held serve again at 0z. RGEM is by far the best case scenario: verbatim 4-7 inches for everyone N of I-78 in PA and most of Central PA dryslots as the storm transitions to sleet/ZR. GFS was pretty similar to 18z, maybe ticking a bit cooler and further south. Think I'll have to bump my forecast for State College up slightly to 2-4 inches.

Temperatures across the NE are colder than forecast tonight, so I wonder if that will have any impact for tomorrow.

Light snow is being reported in the western half of PA already this am. It looks to be knocking on the door of the LSV.

The 6z RGEM & the High res NAM -3km model both show 2-4 inches of snow showing by tomorrow am from roughly RT. 30 on north. They both have 3-4 inches in the Harrisburg area.

The current radar looks good with precip all the way back to Iowa. It also looks to filling back in out in OH & IN.

6 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Ripped off a quick 1.5" this morning with the initial burst of snow on some pretty efficient snow growth and nice aggregates/dendtrites. 24ºF

Well im just getting ripped off.  Very light snow now falling, but at this rate, and by the looks of the radar, mood flakes is all I get till whatever the main show has in store for tonight.  Happy to be trackin, but wish that damn NAO would show up.  We'd be rockin this week.  I'll enjoy all the same as it beats the heck outta last years oven.

Enjoy.  Nut

11 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Ripped off a quick 1.5" this morning with the initial burst of snow on some pretty efficient snow growth and nice aggregates/dendtrites. 24ºF

Yup. There is a few km-deep ice supersaturated layer where temperatures are within the range of plate-like crystal growth. Dendrite and stellar crystals tend to stick together pretty efficiently; I saw some aggregates of just a few dendrites stuck together earlier.

Archived