Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Early/Mid December 2016

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had 1.27" fall in less than an hour.  There seemed to be at least some broad rotation with that cell.  Certainly the most impressive storm I have had this year and I believe that is the first 1"+ precip report in a day that I have had to enter since Feb!!  We have had a number of days with rain but not many with tropical downpours.

I had 1.27" fall in less than an hour.  There seemed to be at least some broad rotation with that cell.  Certainly the most impressive storm I have had this year and I believe that is the first 1"+ precip report in a day that I have had to enter since Feb!!  We have had a number of days with rain but not many with tropical downpours.

My neighbor recorder 1 1/2" too. Pretty crazy a$$ storm. We're not exactly sure yet what happened, but we have a tree expert coming to look at 1 of our huge pine trees, well over 100 years old, probably close 80-100' high has damage. not sure if it is wind damage or lightning strike (didn't smell burned, nor can i see a strike mark) but from pretty high up there is a strip of bark shaved right off tree, down until about 10 feet from ground.  My sister lives 2 doors down and their big flag pole which is in direct line with our big pine tree was lifted straight out of ground, concrete and all. I though it was wind, but one section of the polished chrome is burnt black, so it too took a shot. We had no other damage, but if you look at some of the flowers/plants you can see were blown from north to south. 

Kinda of bizarre to mention as well, but we got home within minutes of the storm, we were driving across the GWB through it. When we got home, the storm was over and the sun was out but neither of our dogs would go outside. The guys at the firehouse said they knew it hit something close but didn't know what. 

Went for a walk up the river from Market up to near Division.

There is debris EVERYWHERE. Huge limbs down all over. There was serious straightline winds yesterday to do that and knock down all those trees in midtown. It's interesting because it seems like downtown HBG to say Division St uptown and the corresponding areas over in Lemoyne/Worlmysburg got nailed the hardest with lots and lots of trees down.

Interesting that it might have cycled directly overhead.

I always find it interesting for some of the WFO's will be very liberal with their warning/watch discipline for severe thunderstorms, but when it comes to heat products it's the exact opposite.  "Well it was just light rain with a 40 mph gust, but the radar looked bad!".  vs.  Heat Index values will only top out at 104 degrees, instead of the criteria of 105.  Therefore, no advisory. 

i have no idea why that cell on the York/Adams county line isn't warned.  Tops pushing 50kft with a nice hail core above the freezing level.  

Definitely has reductions in ZDR and RhoHV in the high reflectivity area, indicating some large, quasi-spherical particles...

Did Harrisburg really pick up 2.5 inches of rain yesterday?

MAX/MIN TEMPERATURE AND PRECIPITATION TABLE FOR PENNSYLVANIA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA
845 PM EDT FRI JUL 08 2016

.BR CTP 0709 Z DH00/TAIRZY/TAIRZI/PP

::Automated Surface Observing Systems (ASOS) Sites
:Automated Temperature and Precipitation Data -
:12 Hour High/24 Hour Low Ending 7 pm EST/8 pm EDT and
:24 Hour Accumulated Precipitation Data ending at 7 pm EST/8 pm EDT
:Pennsylvania -- Temperature and Precipitation Stations
:......................................................
: Station Max / Min / 24-Hour
: Name Temp/ Temp / Precip
:......................................................
:
ABE : Allentown : 93 / 71 / 0.02
AOO : Altoona : 84 / 67 / 0.25
BFD : Bradford : 81 / 61 / 0.70
CXY : Capitol City : 91 / 74 / 1.12
FIG : Clearfield : 85 / 66 / 0.39
DYL : Doylestown : 90 / 71 / 0.02
DUJ : Dubois : 83 / 64 / 0.34
ERI : Erie : 81 / 71 / 0.36
MDT : Harrisburg : 90 / 73 / 2.51
JST : Johnstown : 79 / 68 / 0.02
LNS : Lancaster : 88 / 71 / 0.10
GKJ : Meadville : 81 / 66 / 0.41
MPO : Mt. Pocono : 81 / 65 / M
PNE : NE Philadelphia : 94 / 74 / 0.08
PHL : Philadelphia : 93 / 77 / 0.00
AGC : Pittsburgh : 84 / 69 / 0.55
PIT : Pittsburgh Intl : 86 / 68 / 0.01
PTW : Pottstown : 90 / 71 / T
RDG : Reading : 92 / 72 / 0.07
AVP : Scranton : 91 / 69 / 0.00
SEG : Sellinsgrove : 87 / 68 / 0.35
IPT : Williamsport : 86 / 70 / T
THV : York : 88 / 69 / 0.69
:

Thanks bluestring!

Sorry Canderson, I was already in bed when you posted last night.

No problem, I caught up last night.

Let me just say I'm incredibly sorry you're facing a battle re: going to Arizona or not. There is no right answer and I'll keep my opinion to myself. Best wishes to your mom and you.

Hearing that next week is looking very, very hot and humid. Mid 90s or higher for this area. 

Wheres the YUK button....??

I've actually been more tolerant of the heat.  (maybe I'm getting old :))

Heat ok....Humidity....NOT ok.  

Hope ya'll are having a great summer!!

Mines started bumpy....but calming down, and I'm still here :)

See you in a few weeks (when first guess winter forecasts start popping up)

Nut

Archived