Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Early/Mid December 2016

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the earlier rants, but we do end up with some sort of phenomenon here in Tamaqua on a regular basis that just eats up precipitation, be it snow or summer thunderstorms, and it can get frustrating at times. My only guess is it has something to do with the local...or surrounding topography.

That being said, it finally did snow up here for about 3 hours at a moderate clip, and it didn't even accumulate on grassy surfaces. Not even tree branches picked up any accumulation, which to me is pretty amazing. It truly was "white rain" up here.

5" here in Akron.  Nice little late season....scratch that...past season suprise.  Jim Cantore just responded to my tweet....I can die now.

Have a good warm season all.

Nut

Awesome man!!!! This one really stretches the definition of back-loaded winter. Front-loaded spring i suppose.

Pretty nice burst of heavier snow falling with the backend precip dropping south out of northern PA. Unfortunately it's just for show at this point in the afternoon with temps slightly above freezing and this mornings snow mainly melted off. 1.1" ended up being the total as the dry slot took over. The primary low tracked a hair too far into PA on it's southeasterly trajectory for my location. That brings April snow to 2.1" here and 26" for the season. 

Large range of snow totals across Dauphin County with report of 8.8" in Grantville, PA!

That's really something, I figured some 6+ totals were going to show up, but deeper in C-PA in some of the higher ridges. Must have been some intense snowfall rates this morning. I wonder what kind of ratios there were with these localized high snow totals. The snow growth aspect of this system struck me as impressive when I looked at things yesterday, with really good lift coinciding with the DGZ. Northern PA had some high totals too per CTP PNS, with an 11" Co-op report in Chandlers Valley, Warren County. 

Had about  a half inch at its peak around 9am. everything covered but roads. Went into Columbia and a coating in areas. Even a little elevation made a difference around here. Its all gone now

Thats just crazy.  Still a solid 2" of compacted snowcover in my backyard.  It snowed as hard as I've seen it snow.  Flakes were HUGE.  i've got pics to prove it.  Honestly 1 to 1 1/4" clumps just clumped all up falling from the sky.  NEVER saw that before.  dead calm wind helped to not bust them up.  

Nut

I was a little disappointed that MDT only recorded 1.2 inches of snow yesterday. That brought the seasonal total to 39.1 inches, which came within .1 inches of last year's 39.2 inch seasonal tally.

My disappointment with again falling within 1 inch of 40 for the season turned around when I realized that I predicted 39 inches at MDT this year for our snow contest! I never thought we'd get 30 of that 39 in 1 historic blizzard!

Although not the best winter, it may be one of the most memorable in Lancaster for me:

* Near record warmth overall...especially December with days in the 70s

* a 28" snowstorm in January

* below zero temperatures

* 2" of snow on April 9th

* and near record cold last night

* The absence of appreciable snowfall in Northern part of state and Upstate NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived