SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid week Morch

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not Tolland per se ,, but the higher hills around Union and Stafford. It down slopes ORH area a bit on SW winds in setups like today I've noticed over the years

Those higher hills there are way too small to cause downslope...it is like a little band sticking above 1100 feet in an otherwise general 800-1000 foot elevation band...and that band runs SW to NE which minimizes its surface area to a SW wind. SW wind is generally an slight upslope wind for ORH which is why you rarely see their big heat waves occur on such a direction...they usually need W or NW winds.

March being a winter month was folly

Certainly this (non)winter - could say the same for December.  March 2014, not so much - avg temp 18F, avg snow depth 33".

Noon at SFM 70, FVE 24.  Last time I saw a March spread that high in Maine was late 1998, when PWM was upper 80s and some N.Maine points were in the 30s.

CON had 73F on 3/7/1876, but they will break that. This will be the warmest temp ever recorded for so early in the season.

Farmington, Maine recorded 72 on 3/5/1894, their earliest in season 70+ by 13 days (at which time 2012 happened.)  How warm was CON on that date?

Those higher hills there are way too small to cause downslope...it is like a little band sticking above 1100 feet in an otherwise general 800-1000 foot elevation band...and that band runs SW to NE which minimizes its surface area to a SW wind. SW wind is generally an slight upslope wind for ORH which is why you rarely see their big heat waves occur on such a direction...they usually need W or NW winds.

Earlier today you were steadfast against them tying or breaking record today. So then what is the cause of them about to obliterate it over the next 2 hours?

Certainly this (non)winter - could say the same for December.  March 2014, not so much - avg temp 18F, avg snow depth 33".

Noon at SFM 70, FVE 24.  Last time I saw a March spread that high in Maine was late 1998, when PWM was upper 80s and some N.Maine points were in the 30s.

CON had 73F on 3/7/1876, but they will break that. This will be the warmest temp ever recorded for so early in the season.

Farmington, Maine recorded 72 on 3/5/1894, their earliest in season 70+ by 13 days (at which time 2012 happened.)  How warm was CON on that date?

I see nothing for 3/5, but 1894 ranks 2nd warmest for 3/6 (62F). CON has 76F so far today...the next date in the record period (beginning 1868) that is at least that warm is 3/18 which was the beginning of the 5 day "heat" wave in 2012. So this is quite anomalous.

Certainly this (non)winter - could say the same for December. March 2014, not so much - avg temp 18F, avg snow depth 33".

Noon at SFM 70, FVE 24. Last time I saw a March spread that high in Maine was late 1998, when PWM was upper 80s and some N.Maine points were in the 30s.

Farmington, Maine recorded 72 on 3/5/1894, their earliest in season 70+ by 13 days (at which time 2012 happened.) How warm was CON on that date?

The tale of two parts of a of the same state, Different world up here. Lol

Earlier today you were steadfast against them tying or breaking record today. So then what is the cause of them about to obliterate it over the next 2 hours?

Same reason everyone else is over performing regardless of their terrain...it is not because of a unique wind direction to ORH. Think about it for a second.

We launched pretty high this morning, and we may be getting a little bit of compressional heating as there seems to be a weak boundary over western SNE. They won't obliterate the record either...there will be some leveling off soon because you can only get lapse rates so steep. We are super adiabatic from like 925mb right now.

I figured about 70F at ORH and mid 70s in the torch spots from BED-ASH-CON with BDL-HFD getting upper 70s to near 80F. We're just getting really good mixing. A lot of sites are popping off wind gusts near 20kt in the METARs. It's just simply hot outside.

ORH will be close. They won't "obliterate" it.

I figured about 70F at ORH and mid 70s in the torch spots from BED-ASH-CON with BDL-HFD getting upper 70s to near 80F. We're just getting really good mixing. A lot of sites are popping off wind gusts near 20kt in the METARs. It's just simply hot outside.

ORH will be close. They won't "obliterate" it.

Was there any posters that said torch spots would hit 80 today ?

Archived