mackerel_sky

Gained 14th WS (Asheville) for reserve duty [A]
Victim of fedgov promotion skulduggery [F]
Broke up with girlfriend (positive)  
Passed all health test with flying colors [A]
Memorized new snare parts in 3 weeks for Pipe Band [b+]

GPA: 2.9 -> B-

Very nice  :D  

Just because I expected winter to suck doesn't mean I liked it.........F-   :angry:   :(    :P 

C+ for my backyard. Got 1/2 inch of sleet and about 2 1/4 inches of snow on top of that from the January storm. Also got a trace of freezing rain in February and had 3 other days this winter where it snowed moderately for a little while but didn't accumulate.

My backyard average total snow for the last 20 years is 3 inches, so this winter was pretty close to average.

B- in Winston-Salem. Record warmth in December really keeps it from being a strong B. January and February were below normal in temperature, but there was no real Vodka or sustained cold this season. Snowfall was only slightly below normal, so the Triad should be rather satisfied.

GSO was around 50% of normal on snowfall and the month of December was a throw-away, not to mention the only decent storm we had went from a forecasted 6-10" of snow into 2-3" of sleet. No way we should be satisfied, especially after the endless hype.

I don't inflate grades, so an average winter gets a C and no way this winter is better than a D+.

I'll give it a C here.

December was a total torch, which really lowers my grade. We never met or exceeded our forecasted totals for either "significant" storm (and we only had two) and we only had one REAL arctic blast with single digit temperatures. Lots of miniscule flurry events. Did get significant icing for the first time in a long time. Ended up with 13" on the button, which is hard to honestly complain about. I was just expecting a 16-24" winter with a strong, slowly fading El Nino, a very active STJ and blocking up north that never really took hold for more than a day or so. Was really disappointed with the STJ and blocking. We had no true southern storms. Everything dove in from friggin' Washington state and kinda sorta scooted across the southern "tier" of the U.S. and Miller B'd us to death or cut.

Pretty disappointing based on expectations, but not a complete fail of a winter in the end.

If you're basing the grade on the amount of snow you received, and a C means average, and you received a below average amount of snow, how do you grade it higher than a C?

Lets pretend that we received 4 significant winter storms (reality we got two). Lets say all the storms were ice storms; with two being 2" sleets storms and the others > 1/4 ice storms. On average we would only record 4" of snow (sleet counts as snow) but we would have had a good winter. I would grade a winter like that C+ / B-; or maybe higher depending on how it effected travel.   

I will give any winter an A that has at least one 5+ inch snowfall.  So..."A" for this winter and the warm March is a bonus. Not a fan of winter hanging on into spring like in 2013 and 2014.  For this area, March 2013 had the second coldest average temperature in the past 40 years.

To bad winter will likely come back with a killing freeze later this month or early April.

A triple plus for rain.  D for two dustings of snow.  Z triple minus for sleet...15 minutes of novelty sleet....z for cold.

I've had so much rain it has been in a small lake since Dec.....and I ain't got a freakin' lake!  My court has been under water since Dec, and I'm having to put oil and soap in all the standing water in the woods to keep the mosquitoes down.  Haven't seen rain like this since Alberto in 94.  Amazing rains.  My last was 2 1/2 inches, and that's been pretty standard since mid summer any time it rains.  I'd almost say it's too much rain, but I'm still suffering post drought tremens, and don't think it's possible to get too much.  T

Archived