Powerball

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like 3 reasons for the bust in N IL and S WI could be:

- Convection in OK robbed moisture further north

- Drier air from the NE winds

- Warm nose around 800-900 mb

Any one of these three things could have caused an issue...but when all 3 happen, it won't end well.  That's all fine and good - but why couldn't the computer models pick up on this?  I still laugh at the 1-2 footer that several models were showing in or near this area 3-5 days ago; it's just a horrendous model performance, both in the short-term and medium-term.  No sugar coating. 

Any one of these three things could have caused an issue...but when all 3 happen, it won't end well. That's all fine and good - but why couldn't the computer models pick up on this? I still laugh at the 1-2 footer that several models were showing in or near this area 3-5 days ago; it's just a horrendous model performance, both in the short-term and medium-term. No sugar coating.

Convection down south was a non-issue.

Things set up farther north, with a mix into S. WI. In addition, a main/sig f-gen band never took shape or persisted, which cut down on totals up north in the main axis.

Low has not deepened the last 5 hours and is basically moving due east. Nothing to suggest thus far that this thing will keep moving north. I'd say the 12z NAM was noise level change.

Already a solid dusting here and moderate snow. Looks like I'm right on the southern edge of the fgen band so hopefully it won't drift too far north.

K53XEj6.jpg

ENqai5M.png

Any one of these three things could have caused an issue...but when all 3 happen, it won't end well.  That's all fine and good - but why couldn't the computer models pick up on this?  I still laugh at the 1-2 footer that several models were showing in or near this area 3-5 days ago; it's just a horrendous model performance, both in the short-term and medium-term.  No sugar coating. 

DGZ was shallow last night for sure. Couldn't hang onto the big flakes for more than a half hour at one time it seemed.

Averaged out to be about 3.0" this morning. Hoping that deformation band continues to expand to the west.

Archived