joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm March 1st-2nd (Part 2)

Powerball

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Main band weakened a good amount and there's some lake action going on. What are your thoughts for the rest of the night?

Based on latest mesoanalysis and radar, seems like things are starting to fill back in again in the WI border counties. One thing that we noticed this evening that I probably didn't account enough for is the amount of dry air to the north and east, which could explain why hi res qpf amounts have never been excessive. Also if you loop MKX radar you can see that it's really been fighting the dry air.

But as far as for areas south of the stateline counties, I'm hopeful that things will fill in again in predawn hours in response to better large scale lift, though there's some potential for another lull for a few hours before the defo band kinda forms right on top of northeast IL by mid-late morning. Will be interesting to watch it evolve. Definitely conflicting signals on that.

Ok. 

It's like 1.95". By the way it's going right it will be at 2" pretty quickly. 

12809669_10209129109011771_2399920510944

Nice.  Looks like it's adding up pretty nicely up that way.

We've been stuck in sort of a pseudo dry-slot since mid evening.  Was expecting it to be sort of a rainy evening, but other than that little burst of light rain at the beginning it's been a complete shutout.  There's a little band of precip about to move in from eastern Iowa, that may give us a little light freezing rain.  Looks like our main thrust of precip won't come until after daybreak when a little burst of snow showers rotates through on the backside.  Hope we can get a little dusting before it departs, but won't be surprised if we get skunked.  

Hard to believe what's depicted in my avatar is an actual forecast of what this storm was going to deliver just 3-4 days ago.  

Based on latest mesoanalysis and radar, seems like things are starting to fill back in again in the WI border counties. One thing that we noticed this evening that I probably didn't account enough for is the amount of dry air to the north and east, which could explain why hi res qpf amounts have never been excessive. Also if you loop MKX radar you can see that it's really been fighting the dry air.

But as far as for areas south of the stateline counties, I'm hopeful that things will fill in again in predawn hours in response to better large scale lift, though there's some potential for another lull for a few hours before the defo band kinda forms right on top of northeast IL by mid-late morning. Will be interesting to watch it evolve. Definitely conflicting signals on that.

Extremely tough forecast, great job keeping up!

Nice.  Looks like it's adding up pretty nicely up that way.

We've been stuck in sort of a pseudo dry-slot since mid evening.  Was expecting it to be sort of a rainy evening, but other than that little burst of light rain at the beginning it's been a complete shutout.  There's a little band of precip about to move in from eastern Iowa, that may give us a little light freezing rain.  Looks like our main thrust of precip won't come until after daybreak when a little burst of snow showers rotates through on the backside.  Hope we can get a little dusting before it departs, but won't be surprised if we get skunked.  

Hard to believe what's depicted in my avatar is an actual forecast of what this storm was going to deliver just 3-4 days ago.  

Up to 2.3" now.

The snow up until now was 10:1, but now is beginning to fluff up. Warm ground didn't help the ratio.

Band continuing to reform over Lake County. Influence from the lake?

DAFF, I think you'll have dribs and drabs of sleet for the first half of the storm and 5-8 cms snow during the day once the low centre has passed to your south. Freezing rain won't be too bad there, too much phase change back and forth with other types.

We may see the rare Lake St Clair lake enhancement setting in with this one. Now thinking 15-20 cms Toronto and Hamilton, fairly narrow sleet or freezing rain band over south Niagara only. 20-30 cm potential from about K-W to Peterborough to Ottawa.

It is annoying that the RAP and HRR continue to slowly trend NW / warmer.

That's usually not the greatest sign, but the hope is that they'll correct the other way like they typically do.

Yeah, end of the HRRR has the surface low approaching Fort Wayne...

Archived