Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Winter Storm March 1st-2nd (Part 2)

Powerball

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These HRRR runs you're posting have got me feeling like the current warnings aren't going to work out anywhere in IL. However, I do recall you riding some of these amped hi-res runs with the event last week, only to wake up early Thursday, bid congrats to the Euro and other flatter models, and get on with your day.

Not saying either will happen (and I've been feeling Wisconsin takes this one for awhile), but you're putting a lot of stock in those Rapid Refresh runs right now.

i don't think northern lake county will do as grim as the HRRR is showing (ride the euro) but i think hopes of a late november repeat are fading

Good points.

I hate to say this based on your luck lately (and I have a vested interest in where you live because I'm up there all the time as much of my family is there), but I think you might be sitting pretty for this one. Best stuff might be a little closer to Holland, but I don't think you'll be screwed this time around.

Famous last words.

The temp gradient continues to increase.  Currently in the upper 20s in NW IA, and near 70 in SW IA.

Dewpoint at Prairie du Chien in SW Wisconsin is down to 0 with a temperature of 40. Temp is going to continue to fall, but that's still going to be some serious dry air to overcome once the precip starts.

Interesting...EC upgraded zones SE from a Toronto to St. Thomas line to a warning, but left areas to the north as a watch. I guess they were concerned about the EURO/GFS/NAM solutions...and didn't catch the 18z NAM capitulation.

The 12z EPS mean(and most of its members) are a bit further NW than the OP euro which takes a weird turn east across PA. The mean would be closer to the NAM/UKIE/GEM suite.

post-7879-0-17144100-1456778287_thumb.pn

EC pulls the trigger...

3:24 PM EST Monday 29 February 2016

Winter storm warning in effect for:

• City of Toronto

A major winter storm is expected.

A deepening low pressure system will give heavy snow and blowing snow. The snow will begin Tuesday midday and intensify into the evening with the heaviest amounts of snow falling Tuesday night. Strong northeasterly winds will also give blowing snow especially in exposed areas and along the Lake Ontario shoreline due to gusts of 70 kilometres per hour. About 2 to 5 centimeters can be expected Tuesday afternoon and then 10 to 20 centimeters during the night. As the wind shifts early Wednesday morning to northerly the snow will end. Regions near Lake Erie may also experience several hours of freezing rain especially Tuesday night. If the freezing rain stays to the south of Niagara then they may see the highest amounts of snow.

Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become difficult to navigate due to accumulating snow. There may be a significant impact on rush hour traffic in urban areas.

Winter storm warnings are issued when multiple types of severe winter weather are expected to occur together.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports to #ONStorm.

For my call I guess I'll go with around 2" of snow, preceded by a bit of freezing rain/sleet.  Even with the super tight gradient and all that, SREF mean somehow was almost dead on with last week's storm here and the 15z mean has about 2".  If mixed precip doesn't pan out and/or deformation zone precip is more robust, may be able to overachieve. 

For my call I guess I'll go with around 2" of snow, preceded by a bit of freezing rain/sleet.  Even with the super tight gradient and all that, SREF mean somehow was almost dead on with last week's storm here and the 15z mean has about 2".  If mixed precip doesn't pan out and/or deformation zone precip is more robust, may be able to overachieve. 

Wow really? That'd be around my call. Maybe im too pessimistic. 

Archived