joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Clouds - 2016

bowtie`

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before dinner, I checked the vis satellite and thought the sunset would be a yammer here. Never thought the stuff to the northwest would be visible here. Walking out of the dining establishment I saw I was wrong. So I got to the pond a little bit late.

The clouds were too far away for the 16-35mm  So I went to the 100mm instead...

7V2A8617.JPG

Then to the north the color took off and the 100mm was a tad too much lens. And also the warehouse was in the way...

7V2A8639.JPG

Which was followed by the few clouds to the west going full on gak red...

7V2A8643.JPG

Glad I made it out there, was nice to see. But I was rushing and behind all night long with my choices and settings and it made for a rather frantic night.

The last two nights of images here.

Yesterday, fog hung on for most of the day, so convective temps were not reached when the Sun finally burned through late in the afternoon. Although there was no clouds there was plenty of moisture in the lower atmosphere. Made for a great gold/honey colored sky...

7V2A9165.JPG

This evening had plenty of clouds. Just some slight color off in the west...

7V2A9291.JPG

Thanks ThePhoitoGuy.

I got lucky this evening. There was a weakness in the weakness of the upper low and I had a clearing that worked west with the sunset. Worked out fairly decent for some images.

The yellow flash...

7V2A9624.JPG

The orange flash...

7V2A9662.JPG

The red flash...

7V2A9676.JPG

Had another slight window of opportunity with small clearing in the upper low again this evening.

Best color...

7V2A9714.JPG

Best design, but you need to view this at a distance. Too close and it does not look as good. Strange how some photos are like that...

7V2A9726.JPG

This evening there was a south east breeze blowing. So I tried out the southern side of the pond. The bank is a lot steeper and I was not able to get as close to the water as I can from the middle or northern side. Of course with a stepper bank you get a better wind shadow so there is some good with the bad. Also the southern side has a lot of cattails along the bank. I was able to find a small break and shoot through it. But I still needed to do some odd cropping and a little bit of cloning. I am not very good at that stuff but as long as I do not print it out large, it will look at least some what decent.

Local sunset (through the guardrail)...

7V2A0285.JPG

The sunset this evening will have to be about the color and only the color. I made a rather blatant error. The wind was howling out of the west. I was using the six image average trying to smooth out some of the chop on the water. In that I was successful. But the clouds were moving rather rapidly in the breeze and all my shots were blurry, as far as the clouds go. So look at this with only an eye to the color.

7V2A0418.JPG

October sunsets are so nice. I wonder why so many of them really pop. Whatever it is, it is a great time to be outside an enjoy these while they last.

Sun above the horizon and white clouds...

7V2A0448.JPG

Post sunset and yellow clouds...

7V2A0483.JPG

Orange clouds...

7V2A0511.JPG

The red flash...

7V2A0520.JPG

Pre sunset the contrails were trying to grid out the sky...

7V2A1051.JPG

Local sunset...

7V2A1116.JPG

The red flash for the evening. THe way this cloud set up, it was directly overhead. So I was not able to get anything in the frame to give any frame of reference for the size. And the contrails kind of detract from the visual quality also...

7V2A1201.JPG

While I was raking leaves this afternoon I kept noticing sundogs appearing and disappearing rather rapidly. Once I finished I took the camera to the square and used the courthouse to block the Sun while I tried to get some sundogs. THis is the best I could do...

7V2A1721.JPG

Tonight's post sunset orange flash...

7V2A1850.JPG

The last sunset of Daylight Savings Time. I thought the best was earlier, pre-sunset, but that was just as I got off of work and was driving home. By the time I was able to get home and grab the camera, was only able to image post sunset.

The best of the red flash...

7V2A1933.JPG

Say Goodnight Gracie. Look how blue the sky got...

7V2A1939.JPG

Archived