joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Clouds - 2016

bowtie`

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only clouds I could shoot were south this evening...

7V2A4512.JPG

As I was walking back to the car I saw these cloud shadows start up in the west and stuck around to see if they would get anymore vivid. They did!. As you can see there are no clouds on the horizon so these clouds had to be at least 60 miles away in Illinois and I am betting they might have been closer to 100 miles away. Quite a good distance to have such a vivid cloud shadow.

7V2A4575.JPG

This evening I had thunderstorms to the northwest and a long wave to the south. I got to be stuck in the middle with clouds all about.

Looking to the west, a little bit of a rocket engine...

7V2A4633.JPG

The clouds to the south were a long way away but they did span most of the horizon...

7V2A4657.JPG

Pre-sunset looked like a dude with a hat, shades and a tooth that flashed like the Sun...

7V2A4763.JPG

Post sunset, yellow flash...

7V2A4808.JPG

Post sunset, orange flash...

7V2A4836.JPG

And to end the trifecta of post sunset images for this evening, the red flash...

7V2A4846.JPG

After last night's disaster of tipping the tripod over and dunking a lens in the water and mud, which completely trashed the poor lens, I was back on that horse again tonight and back at the pond.

The color started coming on a little bit late. Could really see the bottom of the pond rather clearly this evening...

7V2A5278.JPG

Best color was really late and rather dark...

7V2A5289.JPG

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 1:45 PM, Avdave said:

Beautiful photos Bow, just gorgeous

Thanks Dave. Mother Nature does all the heavy lifting in making the pretty clouds and great lighting. All I try to do is not mess it up too terribly bad.

This evening looking south as I got to the pond...

7V2A5485.JPG

Someone just to the west of me had a great red flash...

7V2A5500.JPG

Once all the color was gone, I slapped on the 100mm and played a bit with reflections. The weird colors give this a unique feel.

7V2A5516.JPG

When I got to the pond, the lone cloud to the east. It was doing its wicked witch of the west imitation and melting with the loss of daytime heating.

7V2A5758.JPG

Pre sunset with the 100mm

7V2A5814.JPG

When I mess up, I mess up good. When I switched to the 16-35mm for more of an overview I must have accidentally clicked the lens over to manual focus and did not realize it till I got home and downloaded the days images. Oh well it still shows the colors\ even if it is all blurry.

7V2A5824.JPG

Tonight I will show how it is not what you use, but how you use it that makes a great impact on images. Both images are with the 100mm lens and a hard GND filter.

First image is a single image while holding the filter static in one position. I kind of like how the star burst fell on the billboard. Neat design.

7V2A6079.JPG

Second image is a six-image average with feathering (moving) the GND on three of the images and three of the images without the filter

7V2A6096.JPG

As you can see the single image has a dark sky and light water. While using the six image average you are able to even out the sky and water and also tone down hot spots by moving the filter.

Archived