SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
7th Annual New England Lawn Thread

CoastalWx

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So will Ortho kill this? This is what I mentioned in previous posts. These little flowers are everywhere.

Stuff is everywhere in our neighborhood. Seems to spread pretty easily.  It's an early season weed and yes Ortho will likely take care of it. Fertilizer will be dropping this weekend.  I'm seeing some forsythias blooming in the area.

So will Ortho kill this? This is what I mentioned in previous posts. These little flowers are everywhere.

861DA9D9-5EFE-4194-8790-C20EBDF2509D.jpg

Pretty sure that is a weed called "Hairy Bittercress" You would probably need a mixture of 2 Ortho products to knock it down--Ortho CCO(Clover, Chickwed, Oxalis) and Ortho Weed B Gon.  They have different active ingredients.

Just so you know, even if it you kill it right now, it will show up again next year.  The fact that it is already flowering means that it is dropping seeds everywhere for next years crop.  The seeds will actually germinate in the fall and the plant will remain small(you probaby wont even notice it in the fall because its not flowering) and then it flowers in the spring and drops seeds again.  Its a vicious cycle...lol.

To completey stop the cycle you would have to drop some Dimension in the Fall and Spring for complete coverage to prevent germination.

Pretty sure that is a weed called "Hairy Bittercress" You would probably need a mixture of 2 Ortho products to knock it down--Ortho CCO(Clover, Chickwed, Oxalis) and Ortho Weed B Gon.  They have different active ingredients.

Just so you know, even if it you kill it right now, it will show up again next year.  The fact that it is already flowering means that it is dropping seeds everywhere for next years crop.  The seeds will actually germinate in the fall and the plant will remain small(you probaby wont even notice it in the fall because its not flowering) and then it flowers in the spring and drops seeds again.  Its a vicious cycle...lol.

To completey stop the cycle you would have to drop some Dimension in the Fall and Spring for complete coverage to prevent germination.

They have tiny clover-like leaves. That's what it is? 

Amazing now that the snow is melting how green the lawns all are. Snow is white nitrogen gold to the lawns. They will need mowing in a week or 2 once it warms after mid month.

Dropped starter fert last week..

LGW

Lawn Gone Wild

It's just frozen water.

There's without a doubt something to the story about snow helping with green up. There's been some studies done on it I've seen over the years

I thought that was more of a seasonal thing where the snow cover protects the roots from freeze/thaw all season. I think snow contains some N, but rain does too. Heck, most of our rain originates as ice crystals. I don't see how a 5" snowfall that lasts for 2-3 days makes a huge difference unless it's insulating the lawn from those 15-20F temps.

Archived