joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
7th Annual New England Lawn Thread

CoastalWx

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see any defoliation around here. Is the problem heading this way?

If it hasn't occurred yet, your area should be safe for this year.  There are some late-summer defoliators, but they are much less harmful as the leaves have done most of the season's work by then.  Next year?  Who knows...

Finally CT DEEP has acknowledged the Gypsy Moth caterpillar problem in eastern CT. Setting up for a worse year the following if we don't get a prolonged wet pattern.

Meanwhile, it's now July and lots of hay guys haven't been able to get a decent 2nd cutting yet. No rain and we're going to be buying hay from Canada again. Sucks.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-ct-gypsy-moth-caterpillar-infestation-0701-20160630-story.html

Finally CT DEEP has acknowledged the Gypsy Moth caterpillar problem in eastern CT. Setting up for a worse year the following if we don't get a prolonged wet pattern.

Meanwhile, it's now July and lots of hay guys haven't been able to get a decent 2nd cutting yet. No rain and we're going to be buying hay from Canada again. Sucks.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-ct-gypsy-moth-caterpillar-infestation-0701-20160630-story.html

Yea talked to a couple of farmers yesterday. Hopefully things improve for you guys, hardest workers around.

I just had a message on my phone advising Newtown area residents to refrain from watering yards and gardens until at least Wednesday, unless of course we use watering cans....I guess Drought 2016 is getting serious, haha

Saw a sign in Sturbridge yesterday - no watering between 9A and 5P.  Less than a full ban, but perhaps a portent.

yea but the leaves are half the size and if I remember correctly the volume is greatly reduced.       

Subjective observations dredged from distant memory (having lived north of the major gypsy moth damage since 1973, thus not able to watch refoliation phenology):    

Year 1 defoliation results in re-leaf at 80%+ of original, except in trees previously weakened by other causes.  Year 2 sees a lower volume, perhaps 60% and some mortality.  Year 3 some of the trees which appeared fully vigorous pre-gypsy would fail to re-leaf, and even more would die off later even if the bugs went away.

After only seeing a few scattered gypsy moth caterpillars so far this year, I went out this morning and found a few dozen around our garage door.  I thought they were almost done for the year, but it seems like the invasion in Randolph might just be getting started.  Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

After only seeing a few scattered gypsy moth caterpillars so far this year, I went out this morning and found a few dozen around our garage door. I thought they were almost done for the year, but it seems like the invasion in Randolph might just be getting started. Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Still some here too. Not as many , but they are still crawling around

Still some here too. Not as many , but they are still crawling around

You're lucky...there's places very near to you that have been completely defoliated.  Since you have mostly oaks, you'd lose most of your shade.  I would think that would probably affect your dew points and make them go down with the loss of foliage. ;)

You're lucky...there's places very near to you that have been completely defoliated.  Since you have mostly oaks, you'd lose most of your shade.  I would think that would probably affect your dew points and make them go down with the loss of foliage. ;)

I got hit moderately by them. All the Oaks were shredded, but not defoliated.Parts of Tolland were crushed. All along route 30 on the way to Crystal lake..2 miles from here was completely stripped. Next year will be our turn, as this year was heavier than last

• 1 month later...

My little experimental zoysia patch is loving this weather...deep green and creeping and crawling in every direction. I'll probably regret it one day, but the short green season doesn't bother me. May would probably be the only month where the dormancy would piss me off, but the soil temps in my backyard climb pretty quickly. I'm curious to see when this patch goes dormant and comes back. If it's something like mid Oct to mid May I'll probably cut some plugs out of it and spread it around the yard. Weed grass FTW.

Archived