SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
7th Annual New England Lawn Thread

CoastalWx

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.ortho.com/smg/goprod/ortho-weed-b-gon-max-weed-killer-for-lawns/prod70206?&

works wonders for clovers and such.

As for the seeding I would wait a while.

Man I'm gonna love this thread.

This is better for Clover....has to be tanked mixed though. Need 2 or 3 applications most likely to get it all.

http://www.ortho.com/smg/goprod/ortho-weed-b-gon-chickweed-clover-oxalis-killer/prod70214

If it's thick why not just hit it with glyphosate (everything-killer e.g. roundup)

It's in patches in the lawn here and there. I've tried to dig it up in the past but that just ends up spreading it. It's usually gone by early mid-summer

So seeding really isn't recommended in the spring ? It's gonna kill me all summer then. I'll try that stuff out to kill the clovers.

i think the biggest issue with seeding in the spring is weeds. i have seeded in the spring several times, and it came up perfectly fine. i do believe that seeding is better in the fall, but i don't think there is anything wrong with seeding in the spring. 

So seeding really isn't recommended in the spring ? It's gonna kill me all summer then. I'll try that stuff out to kill the clovers.

you can seed in the spring, you just have to wait for the ground temps to warm, and water the heck out of it till its established. using the cellulose with the seed helps establish the seed roots (especially if ground temps are cold) and helps retain moisture.

i think the biggest issue with seeding in the spring is weeds. i have seeded in the spring several times, and it came up perfectly fine. i do believe that seeding is better in the fall, but i don't think there is anything wrong with seeding in the spring.

Ditto

you can seed in the spring, you just have to wait for the ground temps to warm, and water the heck out of it till its established. using the cellulose with the seed helps establish the seed roots (especially if ground temps are cold) and helps retain moisture.

I was thinking of putting some peat moss down with it and raking it in. The area is a very sunny area, so seed should sprout relatively early. 

I've made my point that I like fall better, but if your going to do spring use the stuff that JC posted a link to---Scott's starter fert with Mesotrione. It will help with weed control.

I've made my point that I like fall better, but if your going to do spring use the stuff that JC posted a link to---Scott's starter fert with Mesotrione. It will help with weed control.

I tried the Lesco seed before and didn't really have too much of a weed issue with it. I'll check out that starter fert you guys recommended.

See if this weekend holds promise of getting yard work done.  Snow cover this weekend prevented it.

Want to dethatch and clean up lawn.  Possibly put down my 1st fertilizer treatment.

I think it will be ok. Plan to do the same....although may hold of fert for a bit.  It may be real nice if it can stay dry.

More poop. Hoping to find a way to kill Canadian Geese at the lake this year. 

Some state parks in Maine have planted evergreens (usually Northern white cedar) between beach and lawn, as geese get nervous when they can't see the water.  That's had some success once the plantings fill in to block the view, and it's cheaper than live capture and transport up to Flagstaff Lake, a big hydro storage lake that offers all kinds of goose browsing acreage during summer drawdown.  (And blowing away geese with shotguns is a no-go in the parks.  There's even controversy about lethal control of predators, done to protect beach-nesting endangered least terns and piping plovers.)

What do you guys think about the timing to fert trees?  I have fert sticks for deciduous trees and granular for arborvitaes ready to go.  The theory in my head is to get it down very soon so when the trees "wake up" the soil is ripe for them...

I've read April-June for my area, with later dates not as favored as one can spur late-season shoot elongation that may get frostbit.  (My avg 1st frost date is Sept 19.  Nearby Farmington co-op, not in such a frost pocket: Sept. 20.)

Archived