• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Signs of Spring - 2016 Version

JTA66

Not sure if you're serious or not but that really blows....let Voyager post some rock/heavy metal.

Lol...that was bad...serious bad.

I saw one tree in town today with buds opening up. My grass is starting to green up, and my tulips are getting bigger, otherwise, in my neighborhood up here, it still pretty much looks like winter.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol...that was bad...serious bad.

I saw one tree in town today with buds opening up. My grass is starting to green up, and my tulips are getting bigger, otherwise, in my neighborhood up here, it still pretty much looks like winter.

How 'bout some RUSH "The Trees"!!

(Give it to the 45+ second mark!)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e0iPkP9TLlQ

Having thoughts of putting tomato plants in early this year. What a season, hard to foresee more than a 20% chance of a frost occurring in late April or the month of May. We started an early garden not so many years ago-can't recall if 2008 or 2011, and seems to me this season is warmer yet. Staying a normal course of planting this year is giving me visions of plants burned up by mid July.

I see a lot of stuff starting to come up... Nature thinks its safe so I would go for fool hardy or not. The benefit is big for not much risk. The short range is looking good so you could probably get the plants strong enough to endure a frost. You could also get your garden set up so delicate plants could easily be covered. Another thing you plant a variety of plants: plant the heartier or commercial hybrid plants before the heirlooms. Spring started early in 2012 this year feels similar.

Not so springlike this morning - down to freezing with a pretty good frost.

Yup. Got down to 30 degrees up here. I kind of thought it would remain above freezing last night so I didn't cover my tulips or hyacinths that are out of the ground. I hope they'll be ok...

Saucer magnolias are starting to pop open.  Amazing!  But am concerned about late frosts/freezes and impact on the area orchards (notably those growing apricots and certain plums).  I remember similar happening a bunch of years ago (I think maybe 2009?) and I eventually lost a young plum (Methley) due to an early warm-up that resulted in it flowering/leafing in March, followed by an early April frost (with flower bud/early leaf loss). Then when a secondary set of flowers/leaves started to emerge, those got hit with another frost a week or so after the earlier April frost (about mid-April).  What is it that they say about April being the "cruelest month" (T.S. Eliot)?

Getting 10 yards of topsoil last Thursday and doing some dirt spreading and seeding last weekend is a sign of spring, even though I knew it could be tough sailing for a couple of weeks for getting seed to germinate. And now I find myself rooting for snow Sunday night, lol. I mean if it's going to be chilly, let it snow!

We spend the daylight hours building a storm on the models and the nighttime hours taking it away....

Same old story all winter long. As as we get within 3 days give or take the 6z and 12z will start caving to the 0z. I'm not liking the setup on this one anyway with the western ridge collapsing....been thru this too many times recently.

Getting 10 yards of topsoil last Thursday and doing some dirt spreading and seeding last weekend is a sign of spring, even though I knew it could be tough sailing for a couple of weeks for getting seed to germinate. And now I find myself rooting for snow Sunday night, lol. I mean if it's going to be chilly, let it snow!

It's good karma if the dirt pile gets replaced with a snow pile

Not saying much based on recent summers,does'nt take the weather channel to tell us that. They are basing it on 1981-2010 temps, almost every month is above those averages which don't relate to today's warmer climate.

This summer outlook would suck (then again, it's the weather channel)  posted 4 days ago. (3/18/16)

http://tinyurl.com/gpazqwe

I've seen in other sub forums the summer temp following Nino winters and they look warm. The Atlantic is looking like bath water, so I imagine we'll be dealing with a strong WAR this year. And then there's always the "we're due index" -- we've had some pleasant summers recently, we may be due for a scorcher -- hope I'm wrong about that.

It just seems odds are better leaning warm these days ... we'll see.

Sad to see you leave, why don't you stick around for severe season? 

I've been getting screwed w/those as well. Either they look great to the W then diminish/die right before they attempt to hit me. Or they don't develop at all (live up to the hype) or just a couple showers and a rumble in the distance. Of course you'll get a good one here and there but they seem to be less frequent.

I've been getting screwed w/those as well. Either they look great to the W then diminish/die right before they attempt to hit me. Or they don't develop at all (live up to the hype) or just a couple showers and a rumble in the distance. Of course you'll get a good one here and there but they seem to be less frequent.

Indeed the "Ye olde Radar bait and switch" is enormously frustrating! 

Archived