March 2016 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
422 PM EST WED MAR 09 2016

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT FORT WAYNE...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 67 DEGREES WAS SET AT FORT WAYNE TODAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 66 LAST SET IN 1986. THIS STATEMENT
WILL BE UPDATED IF THE HIGH TEMPERATURE INCREASES THIS AFTERNOON.

Morch Lite continues.....

RECORD EVENT REPORT
1240 AM EST THU MAR 10 2016

...RECORD HIGH MINIMUM TEMPERATURE SET AT FORT WAYNE...

IN ADDITION TO THE RECORD HIGH OF 67 AT FORT WAYNE YESTERDAY THAT
BROKE THE OLD RECORD OF 66 SET IN 1986...THE LOWEST TEMPERATURE
YESTERDAY WAS 52 DEGREES AND WAS THE WARMEST MINIMUM TEMPERATURE
EVER RECORDED FOR MARCH 9TH. THE PREVIOUS RECORD WAS 51 SET 10 YEARS
AGO IN 2006. TEMPERATURE RECORDS AT FORT WAYNE GO BACK TO FEBRUARY
OF 1897.

RECORD EVENT REPORT
1255 AM EST THU MAR 10 2016

...RECORD WARMEST LOW SET YESTERDAY...

THE LOWEST TEMPERATURE YESTERDAY AS SOUTH BEND WAS 57 DEGREES AND
WAS THE WARMEST MINIMUM TEMPERATURE EVER RECORDED THERE FOR MARCH
9TH. THE PREVIOUS RECORD WAS 51 SET 10 YEARS AGO IN 2006.
TEMPERATURE RECORDS AT SOUTH BEND GO BACK TO DECEMBER OF 1893.

That looks to be the official high.

Trees are already budding and beginning to pop here.

Ive seen some trees bud, but thats it. Grass brown, trees bare...early greening up will probably be dictated by how much rain we see. Not sure what you mean by "pop", but for the sake of agriculture better hope nothing more than budding occurs or else it will be disaster. Freezes are guaranteed and a big cold snap sometime in spring would fit well with strong nino climo. Its no coincidence that the last 3 springs and their unusually late greenup were wonderful growing seasons for local fruit, while 2012's extremely early blooming was agricultural disaster (and even then...in 2012 there were no unusual spring cold snaps, fairly run of the mill).

Still some dirty snow piles after a few days of low 70s lol.

Ive seen some trees bud, but thats it. Grass brown, trees bare...early greening up will probably be dictated by how much rain we see. Not sure what you mean by "pop", but for the sake of agriculture better hope nothing more than budding occurs or else it will be disaster. Freezes are guaranteed and a big cold snap sometime in spring would fit well with strong nino climo. Its no coincidence that the last 3 springs and their unusually late greenup were wonderful growing seasons for local fruit, while 2012's extremely early blooming was agricultural disaster (and even then...in 2012 there were no unusual spring cold snaps, fairly run of the mill).

Still some dirty snow piles after a few days of low 70s lol.

There is an enormous silver maple by my curb that just had it's flowers open up yesterday. That being said, they usually are the first trees around here to pop. There was one at my old place, and it was kind of funny, because the branches that overshot the roof of my house by a bit always started blooming like a week or two before the rest of the tree... usually the first real warm day or two, it would spring into action.

Always the first tree to go bare as well. First cold night in the fall and it goes from gold, to red, and then to bare in the span of about a week or two depending on the wind.

Other than that, everything is still pretty much dormant. There are some daffodils in bud, and a crocus or two bloomed on Tuesday. A lot of the native plants look really good, still showing signs of life.

Interesting, do you have some more information on that? I work in agricultural science and this interests me. Our research plots (winter wheat) are beginning to grow a bit earlier than usual this year and it seems as though we may need to begin some data collection earlier than usual, given the long-range (3 month) forecasts showing warmth for MAM.

This week so far has been trademark best climo kind of stuff so far. Storm on Sunday evening, relatively sunny and pleasant during the days.

You had a storm on Sunday!?

I haven't heard thunder since the sleet storm.

Today is more typical of March. 40s and clouds.

Low of 19 this morning.  High should be in the mid 50's today and near 60 tomorrow.
Loving the early thaw because this does not happen every year up here!  Last year I still had 4' on the ground.  This morning, 18".  As a Winter lover, I could not be happier about an early Spring this year...just ready to move on from this disaster.post-41-0-75912100-1457708125_thumb.jpg

Low of 19 this morning.  High should be in the mid 50's today and near 60 tomorrow.

Loving the early thaw because this does not happen every year up here!  Last year I still had 4' on the ground.  This morning, 18".  As a Winter lover, I could not be happier about an early Spring this year...just ready to move on from this disaster.attachicon.gifIMG_4263.JPG

Lol not really sure what you have to complain about :)

Fantastic day.  62 with near full sun and very little wind.  It did start pretty chilly though, at 31.  Wasn't supposed to get below freezing this week.

Lucky!  :)

Stayed in the low 40s here next to the refrigerator called Lake Michigan. Already 37° here. 

Archived