joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2016 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May have the first grill worthy weather of the year next week.

OT, but i just got a new vantage vue station. Wanting to have it uploading to wunderground, wondering if someone smarter than me can give me an idea of what additional hardware and software I would need. Gracias in advance.

It's like a $300 part, I believe. 

This: http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06555

Or.. This: http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06620

If anyone knows a better, way, please, enlighten us. I don't have this money ATM for my PWS. 

OT, but i just got a new vantage vue station. Wanting to have it uploading to wunderground, wondering if someone smarter than me can give me an idea of what additional hardware and software I would need. Gracias in advance.

Some of my best grill work takes place during heavy snow.

I'm sure cyclone could help you with that one.

Here's how I do it.. 

I bought a cheaper version of the WeatherLink software.  The one I bought is only $165, and it gives you the most important piece of hardware, and that is the data logger.  That is a little hard drive that plugs into a port on the back of the Vue's console.  You then run a USB cable to your PC.  With this cheaper version you can't upload directly to the net, but you get to see all the station's data on your PC.  To get my data to the internet, I bought software called Virtual Weather Station- Internet Edition.  It's about $100.  That software is very nice, as it will upload your data to weather underground, Weather Bug, and the more official APRS site, which is cool because the NWS can pull your data from there.  You just have to make sure you sign up on those sites and register, fill out your location info, weather station type, etc so they can give you a specific station ID.  Once you've done that you just enter your station ID for that destination (ie Weather Underground) and it can begin uploading immediately.  With Weather Underground you can upload every 2 seconds (called rapid fire).  

After the last PC crapped the bed I stopped uploading to APRS, and just do the Weather Underground thing.  Good enough for me, and you can post some of their widgets on websites, and you can also check your own site with a smart phone via the weather underground app lol.  

The link IllinoisWedges posted is also a version of WeatherLink.  It's about $130 more, but you wouldn't have to buy the VWS software to actually upload the data to the net, so it would end up being pretty close in cost.  With that version you can upload without even being connected to a PC if I read it right, which would be pretty cool.  Just have to have a wireless router, etc.  I think it can only upload every minute though, instead of every 2 seconds.  Really not a deal breaker though.  If this version was available when I first set mine up I might have went that route.  

Here's a few links...

First here's the cheaper version of WeatherLink I bought,  http://www.vantagevue.com/products/product.asp?pnum=06510USB

Here's a link to Virtual Weather Station Internet Edition, http://www.ambientweather.com/viwestinedem.html

Here's how I do it..

I bought a cheaper version of the WeatherLink software. The one I bought is only $165, and it gives you the most important piece of hardware, and that is the data logger. That is a little hard drive that plugs into a port on the back of the Vue's console. You then run a USB cable to your PC. With this cheaper version you can't upload directly to the net, but you get to see all the station's data on your PC. To get my data to the internet, I bought software called Virtual Weather Station- Internet Edition. It's about $100. That software is very nice, as it will upload your data to weather underground, Weather Bug, and the more official APRS site, which is cool because the NWS can pull your data from there. You just have to make sure you sign up on those sites and register, fill out your location info, weather station type, etc so they can give you a specific station ID. Once you've done that you just enter your station ID for that destination (ie Weather Underground) and it can begin uploading immediately. With Weather Underground you can upload every 2 seconds (called rapid fire).

After the last PC crapped the bed I stopped uploading to APRS, and just do the Weather Underground thing. Good enough for me, and you can post some of their widgets on websites, and you can also check your own site with a smart phone via the weather underground app lol.

The link IllinoisWedges posted is also a version of WeatherLink. It's about $130 more, but you wouldn't have to buy the VWS software to actually upload the data to the net, so it would end up being pretty close in cost. With that version you can upload without even being connected to a PC if I read it right, which would be pretty cool. Just have to have a wireless router, etc. I think it can only upload every minute though, instead of every 2 seconds. Really not a deal breaker though. If this version was available when I first set mine up I might have went that route.

Here's a few links...

First here's the cheaper version of WeatherLink I bought, http://www.vantagevue.com/products/product.asp?pnum=06510USB

Here's a link to Virtual Weather Station Internet Edition, http://www.ambientweather.com/viwestinedem.html

Right on. Thanks!

I did a bit of research, and could only find people complaining about how not user friendly the software was. Thank you for dumbing it down for me!

Does this stuff work on mac as well?

The WeatherLink has a mac version, but doesn't look like Virtual Weather Station does.  So if you have a mac you could do WeatherLink, and then some other software that is compatible with mac to upload your data.  But, if I had a mac I would probably just go with the WeatherLinkIP (more expensive version) that doesn't even need a computer.  

It's like a $300 part, I believe. 

This: http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06555

Or.. This: http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06620

If anyone knows a better, way, please, enlighten us. I don't have this money ATM for my PWS. 

If anyone wants the USB data adapter for a Vantage Vue base station, I have one that I could part with. My console died, and I have no use for the USB adapter.

I don't have the WeatherLink software anymore, but that's OK since IT SUCKED! It looked like it was written in 1992 and seemed to crash every day.

If anyone wants the USB data adapter for a Vantage Vue base station, I have one that I could part with. My console died, and I have no use for the USB adapter.

I don't have the WeatherLink software anymore, but that's OK since IT SUCKED! It looked like it was written in 1992 and seemed to crash every day.

Yeah it's pretty lol worthy.  You basically have to get it though to get the data logger.  How long did you have your Vue?  Had mine about 5 years so far, and zero issues.  If and when it craps out I'll probably upgrade to the VP2.

EDIT:  Regarding the USB data adapter, are you talking about the data logger itself, or a serial to USB port adapter?  If you're talking about the data logger itself that would be a great deal for someone.  

Just a miserable look for SE WI.. Cooler by the lake, playing in puddles, flooding potential, severe potential,prob windy.  That's not fun in march for me or really anytime. I love a climo march and early april after winter   - bouts of early spring 40's and upper 50's with sun giving away to cool nights.  Of course some action is nice but man that extended looks miserable overall with all the precip and backdoor cool downs along the lake.  Is what it is and what makes wx so fun to follow though..  Just have to take the good with the bad and roll with it.

Have a super weekend. Perfect early march climo one shaping up indeed.

Archived